PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Need new front end for TSI foamcutter

hover1
01-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Greetings,

First post, but I have spent a few months looking through the forum for an answer, but had not found one for my question.

I have a large 2 axis foam cutting machine; will cut 12’W x 8’D x 5’H Blocks. I am trying to replace the front end, as the computer (MAC) and software are from 1995, and I find the software somewhat limited. I can program in X,Y fine (cut boxes), I can also import a PIC file to display on screen and trace it, (a royal pain), and the program has only one font. I need to be able to import Illustrator vector files and create custom signs from the hundreds of fonts out in public domain.

What I have is as follows:

• T.S.I. Inc. Foam Cutting Machine (I believe they are out of business)
• Steppers on the machine (1-X, 1-Y) are: SloSyn M093-FD11G12 2400 Steps/Rev (I forget the voltage)
• Stepper Drive unit: ROF 5004 (River Oaks Farm, Austin, TX, I believe they are out of business)
• Software: Foamline 5000 on license from George Barlow, I believe he is out of business)

This runs of a MAC Performa 6360 and output is from the Modem (serial) port on the MAC.

Stepper Control works fine and I have already repaired once and have extra components on hand for that.

If I were trying to replace an old PC and software running off the printer port, I think it would be a piece of cake, but the stepper controller looking for a serial input makes my quest a little difficult.

Happy New Year,

Jim

hover1
04-18-2010, 04:27 PM
After many, many searches with Google, Bing, Altavista, I have not been able to locate George Barlow, TSI or Foamline software.

Does anyone have any recent contact information?

Thanks,
Jim

romy
04-19-2010, 05:09 PM
hi hover1,

sorry my english; i read your post and i suggest you this points:

1) if you want to recycle you electronics you must use only the stepper driver; in this case you have to buy only the LPT breakboard to connect with a normal IBM/PC. For run the machine you need CNC control program like Mach3 or DeskCNC (this depend you use 4 indipendent axis or not)

2) you recycle only the stepper motor and buy a new complete control box and use Mach3 or deskcnc for run it

I hope to help you

bye

Romano from Italy

P.S. This is my DIY machine : http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66205