PDA

View Full Version : Problem LB-15 from Katrina

papa-g
12-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Hello, I'm new to CNCZone but have been machining for 40+ yrs.
I recently bought an Okuma LB-15, sight unseen, from a Northern Midwest Dealer. Good price got me interested. Turns out this machine went through Hurricane Katrina and this was never mentioned. The machine's "bones" are still good (the cast iron) but I have spent over $8K replacing every bearing in the machine - spindle set, ball-screw bearings, hydraulic pump motor bearings, spindle motor, drive belt idler -- you get the picture. The machine runs fine now and is very accurate, but beware of what is coming to the market now that most have forgotten Katrina. Hope this info saves someone some $$.

PeterG
12-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Hope you take the chump who sold it to you to court ... and win!

kn6za
12-27-2008, 03:29 PM
papa-g

How did you find out the history of the machine you purchased?

I hope the machine continues to make you money. Thanks for the heads-up.

Andrew

papa-g
12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
First to PeterG - In a perfect world! But I have to bear the blame for not looking at it first! He'll get his in time.

To kn6za - I worked for Okuma 26 years ago and actually lived in Japan for a while working in the Nagoya factory. A life-time ago! But I really liked the way Okumas were built and the company direction. One of those directions is that they keep perfect records of every machine. From the serial number, Okuma USA can look up the ship date from Japan (if the machine was made there), the sell date, to who, by who, and the documents that should be with the machine - like which manuals, which software, and what options were sold. If you treat them respectfully, they can be your greatest asset.

I have 4 Okumas, all that were purchased used. I've never regretted buying any one of them - even this last one. It's been 60 days of work, but it's looking pretty good now. The deal just isn't as sweet!

papa-g