PDA

View Full Version : I need an oil dispensor. Hate little cans.

Swami
11-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Hello. I am way new to this. I've gone through two cans of Tap Magic Aluminum. Stuff works well, but to get the coverage I want, it often means using at least 3 times more than I need to.

I'd like a dispensor that can more carefully place this stuff on the material. Something I could pump up with air, and spray the lubricant out would be ideal.

I can't seem to find this anywhere....

Any suggestions?
Swami

JFettig
11-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Sounds like what you want is a kool mist system, They are quite nice, we have them on all the bridgeports at work, They use regular water based coolant though.

Jon

Swami
11-17-2004, 08:00 PM
A hand-held (i.e. inexpensive) system would be fine for me.
On the parts I have been doing, I just squirt it with oil every 8 minutes.

Don't mist systems start at over $300?

Swami

JFettig
11-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Oooh I see what you want, get a spray bottle, thats what I use for my lathe, and again I use the water based coolant with good results. you can get a koolmist for about $50 I think, I built my flood system for under that using a cheap pump.

Jon

WeCheat
11-17-2004, 10:20 PM
I use a bug sprayer I got from Home Depo. Modified the tip a little.Put a mister tip on it and real small line so it would fit my mini mill. Just filler up and pump it up. Paid $12.00 for it all.

Swami
11-18-2004, 12:32 PM
So, WeCheat, did you hard-fix the coolant line to the mill, and you pump it by hand as needed?

JFettig, are you just using a spray bottle that you might put windex in - that kind of thing?

Im not opposed to a Kool Mist system, but it looks like that just runs continuously (i.e. more mess than I can handle)

Thanks guys!

Swami

JFettig
11-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Yes, something similar to a windex bottle, that will actually work, but I used a bottle that you can get at walmart for about a dollar or less.

Just a normal all purpose spray bottle.

Jon

Swami
11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Okay, that sounds good. Thanks

And what do you like to put in your spray bottle?

Swami

JFettig
11-18-2004, 07:35 PM
I use water based coolant, the white/blue stuff thats used in regular flood or misting systems.

Jon

WeCheat
11-18-2004, 07:37 PM
I used a valve and tubing used in aquariums. I put a tip in it and use the vale to control the flow. Just pump the sprayer up 8 or 9 times and it will last all night long as you are not using that much fluid out of it. I originally made it for when we drill holes in truck frames & beds with a magnetic drill press. The two tips I used were a mister type tip or a drip tip you find both at Home Depo. The only problem I have had with it ,is they steal the sprayer during racing season to spray mud off on the race cars at the shop. That is where WeCheat (my web site) came from. ;-)

halfa32
12-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Try useing the red tubes that come with WD40. They hold up great to a spinning cutter or drill and if they get chewed up just cut the very end off. I find that small drops can be put on the cutter not wasting the tap magic or coolant. I drill small holes in 20 oz. pop tops and press the tube in. Srew the top on whatever you desire. Pop bootles are cheap and hold up well -hope this helps.