PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! .STL into SolidCAM?

Vrogy
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi. I'm trying to get some parts I've made into SolidCAM, and not having a lot of luck.
Basically, I've modeled a few things in Cinema 4D, and they seem to import OK.. but there's no features for solidcam to derive the coordinate system, a stock model, etc from.

Is there a plugin or something to get STL data into features solidcam can get its teeth into, and give me some g-code from, or am I building a PMDC motor case from stainless? :confused:

yasemintalay
12-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Hi. I'm trying to get some parts I've made into SolidCAM, and not having a lot of luck.
Basically, I've modeled a few things in Cinema 4D, and they seem to import OK.. but there's no features for solidcam to derive the coordinate system, a stock model, etc from.

Is there a plugin or something to get STL data into features solidcam can get its teeth into, and give me some g-code from, or am I building a PMDC motor case from stainless? :confused:

I think that your problem is file extension. If you try to open stl data in solidworks, your model appears like graphichs. You do not machine graphics in solidcam. If you change to file extension to iges or parasolid, it will be ok.

Vrogy
12-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I think that your problem is file extension. If you try to open stl data in solidworks, your model appears like graphichs. You do not machine graphics in solidcam. If you change to file extension to iges or parasolid, it will be ok.

That did it, thanks.

jmcglynn
01-15-2009, 01:53 AM
STL isn't a graphics format, it's a surface made up of triangles.

The newest version of SolidCAM (R12 SP3.2) claims to have a new STL Milling capability to use that format directly.

Joe

goodillla
11-08-2009, 03:30 AM
STL isn't a graphics format, it's a surface made up of triangles.

The newest version of SolidCAM (R12 SP3.2) claims to have a new STL Milling capability to use that format directly.

Joe

I have a lot of problems with my SolidCAM 2009 SP0.0. I've installed SolidCam R12 SP3.2 and it works well, but I didn't find any possibility to mill STL models, but I need it. Are you sure that it has?