View Full Version : Decorative Edge

12-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I made a similar post in the engraving section of this forum. With lots of hits and no replies, I wanted to try here also.

I am engraving acrylic plastic. What I am after is some type of bits similar to router bits for wood. However I need these bits to shape the edge and also completely cut out the plastic piece. A bevel/chamfer, and also rounded edges. The typical wood router bits will not work because the piece will need to be cut out while dressing the edge.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for replies.


12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm thinking figure 8 is what you're after, I've used them before, just plan your plunge and exit away from the part. Onsrud ($$$$) 66-200 series is an example but there are more out there.

12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. That is very similar to what I am after, and it may be exactly what I want. Just what exactly would you call this type of cutter? Right now I have an 1/8" collet on the machine, with a 5/16" that i can put on if need be. I am going to search more.

12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
It's called a "Rout and Chamfer" bit, most of the ones I have used in the past had a 1/4" shank. What thickness Acrylic are you cutting?

12-03-2008, 09:01 AM
It is mostly going to be 1/8", possibly some 3/16" but not to often.

12-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Use "cast" acrylic instead of "extruded". Extruded is horrible to machine and clumps up on the tool. Also, with cast all the little impurities fall to the bottom during casting, whereas in extruded all the little bits are dispersed throughout the bulk material.