PDA

View Full Version : Problem todd

toddd
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I work at a mold shop where we program lots of holes in the back of molds to within .125 from breaking thru cavities on other side. Is there a more efficient way of doing this without 1st projecting points to offset surfaces, then projecting lines from these projected points. This works ok, but is time consuming.

Thanks

PinnacleMachine
11-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Are you drilling these holes? I assume they are water bubblers or vacuum holes from the sound of it. If you are getting you files from Solidworks or Parasolid you can change the import settings to bring in a centre line for the hole which represents the hole depth under - check "Add centerlines and points to cylinders" under options for read Solidworks/Parasolid. Then in your drilling cut control select use centerline as depth then in Extend depth use -.125". If you are having to draw the holes in in Surfcam then there really isn't another way to do it.

JP

toddd
11-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the reply JP,
Most of our vacuum hole locations come from cadkey, but some do come from Solidworks. Sounds like I will have to import cadkey files into Solidworks. Use hole wizard to create hole depths and Parasolid them back out.