PDA

View Full Version : Sittin' on the fence

stoneyreef
11-15-2008, 09:49 PM
OK, I started by finding the fireball CNC and thought that would be a good starter, then after doing more research, I decided I might as well just spend the money and get a real machine with a large enough table.

This led me to the sidewinder CNC.

Although a sidewinder 4X4 machine will cost almost 5k ready to run.

So here I find myself again looking at the joes hybrid.

So can someone give me a rough idea of what it will cost to build without electronics?

Is it truly bolt together as in the builds I see them drilling holes in steel L channel.

Can it be assembled in a couple weekends or will I be pulling out my hair?

I am completely mechanically inclined and have a full wood working shop, just wanted to add a CNC to it. So I guess .. . . .

I really have not seen some of these questions answered. Being as I am not really all the patient, drilling the rails and getting precise hole markings and holes drilled are a concern.

So help me get off the fence.

calgrdnr
11-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Sounds to me like you will have no problem building it. Not rocket science :) If you buy the plans at Joes web site http://www.joescnc.com/kitsplans.php you get access to the peeps that have already built it not to mention the pictures. Joe did a good job designing it. The next step up would be to build Mechmate . You can learn alot here people will help everystep if you need it . which I don't think you will..

Good luck be sure to post pic's of your build

Kent

gfc62
11-15-2008, 11:50 PM
OK, I started by finding the fireball CNC and thought that would be a good starter, then after doing more research, I decided I might as well just spend the money and get a real machine with a large enough table.

This led me to the sidewinder CNC.

So can someone give me a rough idea of what it will cost to build without electronics?

Is it truly bolt together as in the builds I see them drilling holes in steel L channel.

Can it be assembled in a couple weekends or will I be pulling out my hair?

I am completely mechanically inclined and have a full wood working shop, just wanted to add a CNC to it. So I guess .. . . .

I really have not seen some of these questions answered. Being as I am not really all the patient, drilling the rails and getting precise hole markings and holes drilled are a concern.

So help me get off the fence.

I'm finishing my build now, I've been working on it a few hours at a time (with only a few full days thrown in) since late August. I could have done it in a week or two working full time on it.

A small inexpensive drill press would be a good idea -- with that the steel drilling takes an hour or so.

It's a big machine, lots of parts, but it goes together pretty fast. There have been a wide variety of builders some with little experience others with lots of skill. With the help of the forums everyone has figured it out.

joecnc2006
11-17-2008, 08:43 AM
The machine is really a simple and straight forward build. We already have 20 completed machines and 37 Machines under construction in the Support forum, so getting help or references is no problem at all. Also as mentioned the drilling is pretty easy, you just mark the distances, and Use a fence on the drill press and it ensures a nice straight uniform drill pattern.

gfc62
11-17-2008, 11:58 AM

The cost question is hard to answer directly since it depends so much on how well you shop, shipping costs, and several other factors.

I'm not the best representation of costs since I got some of my materials for free on the one hand and I'm making some additions to the design on the other. I think $2,200 excluding electronics would be a good price target for someone just buying from the suggested vendors listed on the forums.

I've spent less than that and can see how a careful shopper could do it for $1,700-2,000 excluding electronics. One recent builder who's keeping very good records has spent in that range for all but the electronics. You could probably do better still if you had time to seek out great deals.

The thing to watch out for in any machine, be it a Joe's 4x4 build, the purchase of a Sidewinder, is the temptation to add a bit here or there, upgrading this and that starts to add up quick. One great example from the Joe's build is the cost of the nuts and bolts holding the machine together. I've seen some build logs where $200+ was spent on deluxe black oxide socket head fasteners and other builds where the same machine was built using $55 worth of zinc hex bolts bought in bulk.

Gordon

stoneyreef
11-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I have the drill press, just never thought of setting up a fence to do repeated hole drilling!!!

I will probably order everything from McMaster when I get ready to pull the trigger as it will just be easier to get the majority of it in one shipment instead of piece meal and pay all the additional shipping charges and so forth.

Glidergider
11-18-2008, 07:56 AM
McMastercarr is a great company. When I bought my lead screws from them, the very next day, they arrived at my door. Can't go wrong with them.

I looked at sidewinder on the zone. Neat kit, but the gantry doesn't look very sturdy, being formed sheet metal. At half the price Joe's DIY machine is great, and I'm guessing a better machine then the sidewinder. I certainly don't have any buyers remorse with the Hybrid. :) Also, on the sidewinder, you will have to build a work bench for it.

stoneyreef
11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
McMastercarr is a great company. When I bought my lead screws from them, the very next day, they arrived at my door. Can't go wrong with them.

I looked at sidewinder on the zone. Neat kit, but the gantry doesn't look very sturdy, being formed sheet metal. At half the price Joe's DIY machine is great, and I'm guessing a better machine then the sidewinder. I certainly don't have any buyers remorse with the Hybrid. :) Also, on the sidewinder, you will have to build a work bench for it.

I have used McMaster for years as a supplier for my custom acrylic shop for manufacturing saltwater reef aquarium gadgets and doo-dads!

I love them, and about 15% of the time one can find a better price somewhere else, but their shipping price is beyond reasonable, and their service is impeccable, thus I willing to forgo those few $$$ that I would save on 15% of my items as that cost is usually gobbled up in the extra shipping expense!

bgriggs
11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
I have the drill press, just never thought of setting up a fence to do repeated hole drilling!!!

I will probably order everything from McMaster when I get ready to pull the trigger as it will just be easier to get the majority of it in one shipment instead of piece meal and pay all the additional shipping charges and so forth.

McMaster is a good company but it will cost you more if you go the one vendor route. Joe and others have done a great job of finding the best prices and quality. About the only place to save big is to buy your Bolts from the Tractor supply center by the pound.

Bill

Glidergider
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.boltdepot.com/default.aspx
Bolt depot has a great selection of bolts. Buy almost everything from them.

jdell42
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I agree with all the comments on McMaster. Been using them for years. I have purchased lead screws from them and their quality was far superior than that of an other similar companies.

Also Bolt Depot is great. Costs are typically far less than that of the large hardware stores if you plan ahead and get what you need at once.