PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on router mount

samualt
11-06-2004, 12:41 AM
I have a Makita (Model RF1101) that I am trying to attach to my newly made Z-axis. Should the mount be aluminum or can I use plastic? I was thinking about a 1/2" thick white plastic butcher-block I have. There is enough material to make 2 or 3 mount rings.

What I had in mind was simple:
1. Cut three 4.5" squares.
2. Cut a circle exactly 3.22" in diameter in each square. (The diameter of the router.)
3. Drill some long bolt holes through the sides of the squares.
4. Then cut about 1/4" from each of two sides. Now you have 2 peices for each square. Like this: |( )|

Then I should be able to stick the router between the 2 halves of each square and and hold it together with the long bolts which will thread into the metal base plate.

I don't have access to a cnc mill/router and don't have the money to have a part made. I was just wondering what you thought of plastic for a router mount. Should I wait and do it in aluminum? Anyone else use plastic for this?

:cheers:

JavaDog
11-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Here, I knocked up a file, dimensions are accurate to your scale. I think this is the way most do it (seems the easiest):

http://users.adelphia.net/~javamoose/Router_Block.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~javamoose/Router_Block2.jpg
(A Translucent head-on view for clarity. BTW - I messed up, you don't have to make that hole go through the entire block, but I did this in 5mins, so you get the general idea).

sol
11-06-2004, 11:51 AM
My first one was of wood,shaped like your idea and worked well enough; keeping the through-bolts tight is what mostly holds the thing true anyway. If it turns out to not hold up well at least you will have a template for the final metal version.

JavaDog's rendering is nice but I think your idea of through-bolts holding semi-circles together and to the back plate is better for a non-metal clamp. Strength will come from the bolts not the plastic.

I used big honkin' wing nuts on the through-bolts to tighten the assembly together and made inserts of wood and PVC that held a Dremel inside the larger router clamp. That way it was easy to quickly switch out routers when a powerful (noisy) spindle was not necessary.

Like I said, worked for me. :)

Ol'Dusty
11-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Another very helpful drawing for us newbies! Thanks JavaDog. Thought I'd give it a bump. Any explanations on parts especialy drawings are very helpful. Thanks!