PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Lead screws on a Taig setup using Mach 3

gunlocators
11-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok what can be expected if on one of the axis the lead screw is a different size. Will Mach 3 compensate for this? What I am thinking of doing is I have a 40 cue building fixture table that is mounted on linear bearings that has a 18" bottom plate that bolts to the existing taig mill table. Both top 40" and bottom 18" is 1/2 plate then connected by linear bearings and blocks. It is extremely ridgid. I envisioned mounting a stepper leadscrew beteen the gap in the plate using a couple lead screw nuts. I currently have a few pieces of 1/2x10 acme 4ft long that I could use buy do not know if that will conflict with taigs 1/2x20 lead screws on the other axis. If it would where can I get a long piece of 1/2x20 cannot seem to find any. With this mod I should be able to get 40" of travel that would be nice. Pics to come shortly to show what I would like to do.

SCzEngrgGroup
11-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Ok what can be expected if on one of the axis the lead screw is a different size. Will Mach 3 compensate for this? What I am thinking of doing is I have a 40 cue building fixture table that is mounted on linear bearings that has a 18" bottom plate that bolts to the existing taig mill table. Both top 40" and bottom 18" is 1/2 plate then connected by linear bearings and blocks. It is extremely ridgid. I envisioned mounting a stepper leadscrew beteen the gap in the plate using a couple lead screw nuts. I currently have a few pieces of 1/2x10 acme 4ft long that I could use buy do not know if that will conflict with taigs 1/2x20 lead screws on the other axis. If it would where can I get a long piece of 1/2x20 cannot seem to find any. With this mod I should be able to get 40" of travel that would be nice. Pics to come shortly to show what I would like to do.

If they're on different axes, it'll work fine. You configure each axis for the number of steps/inch or steps/mm, and Mach will do the right thing. If you're talking about have two slaved axes (like for two motors on opposite ends of a large gantry), then it won't work. But you can have 10 pitch on X, 20 pitch on Y with no problem whatsoever.

Regards,
Ray L.

gunlocators
11-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Yes 1 per axis.

Here is pics of my ideas I sure you will understand what i am trying to do.

http://www.cuesafe.com/cnc1.jpg

http://www.cuesafe.com/cnc2.jpg

http://www.cuesafe.com/cnc3.jpg

http://www.cuesafe.com/cnc4.jpg

fretsman
11-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Yep, I don't sese an issue with that at all except maybe a weight issue if the rotary table is canterlevering (spelling?) all the way to left side of the table when the table is moved all the way to the left as well.

By the way, it looks like you'll lose a little travel in your z axis with this mod so don't forget, you van raise the headstock dovetal mounting block and then slide the actual headstock up the dovetail mounting block as well. You'll gain some of that travel back, if not all of it.

Love to see this when it's done. While I'm not doing pool cues, I would be interested in expanding the length of my table someday.

Dave

gunlocators
11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Yep, I don't sese an issue with that at all except maybe a weight issue if the rotary table is canterlevering (spelling?) all the way to left side of the table when the table is moved all the way to the left as well.

By the way, it looks like you'll lose a little travel in your z axis with this mod so don't forget, you van raise the headstock dovetal mounting block and then slide the actual headstock up the dovetail mounting block as well. You'll gain some of that travel back, if not all of it.

Love to see this when it's done. While I'm not doing pool cues, I would be interested in expanding the length of my table someday.

Dave

Thanks for the tip on the Z Axis. Also I was worried abour the weight of te rotary table however I will never use more than 30-32" of the travel. I noticed there is not any notice able strain on the fixture when extended however I may need to rig a dial indicator to really see if there is any flex but i think I will be ok . Well see I will post more pics later afer its complete I need to find a good nema23 mount now any recomendations. I want it pretty beefy