View Full Version : Looking for more into on tooling/mold for EPS shapes

11-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm trying to find information on the tooling that is used to make EPS foam shapes. Like these.


The tooling for that plane was made in China, but I'd like to know more about the process. For starters what is that type of molding process called? Is it foam injection, or foam blow molding, or something else? My next question would be what would be a guess as to what the tooling would cost to produce (assuming I already have the 3D model in a CAD file)? The largest part is around 35". I believe the tools have steam/chemical passages to expand the foam beads in the mold as well as cooling jackets to keep the tools at a constant temperature. I'm guessing they are made from aluminum and not steel.

Any info you have on this type of molding process would be greatly appreciated.


11-25-2008, 06:18 AM
My brother was in force injection plastics and he would probably know. But the molds they used where for very precise parts like the frame from the razor phone. I will see him thursday.

11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
i found this link today-The molds don't seem overly complicated so you should be able to do a search on how to make them using google.


Hope this helps!

11-28-2008, 02:59 AM
I guess what has slowed my search is I didn't know what the process was called. So I will start searching for forced injection molding.

Let me know what your brother tells you funscan.


11-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't have much to go by but my brother did know this. Some of the molds are made out of silicone because of the low pressure process you are talking about. and the there must be some sort of steam porting in the mold. He also said that there is a company in Maine (usa) that is doing similar mold work "Rynell" don't know if it is ltd or inc. The silcone molds may be your best bet for searching information.