PDA

View Full Version : Two steppers for one axis? How?

Rob27
11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I think I may have over built my machine and might need two steppers to run my X axis. I would imagine it will weigh close to 100 lbs, but is also fairly wide. I think a second motor and lead screw will eliminate racking, if there is any. Though I don’t have it completely set up yet, I want to prepare myself to have to add more power to the X axis.

Currently I have nema 23 385 oz-in motors, with the 36V 8.8 amp power supply. I am wondering, if I add another motor to the X axis, can I just hook it up, and run two more wires to the breakout board in the x axis pins? So there would be two wires in the 2 pin, and two wires in the 3 pin, for both motors.

Also to anyone who has two motors on an axis, is it hard to get them in sinc? Is is more a head ache not worth trying to do?

Regards,

Rob

ger21
11-02-2008, 11:40 AM
If you use Mach3, it's two or three mouse clicks.

Rob27
11-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I guess I dont completely understand? I will be using Mach3 to operate the motors.

Rob

High Seas
11-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Welcome aboard!
Like what Gerry said - 2 or three clicks + (in the setup screens is where you do this)
You set one motor as a slave to the other. Not hard to do - get a copy of MACH3 and you'll see how easy it is to work with.

You'll still need a separate controller for each motor.
Is that a little more info for you?

:cheers: Jim

ger21
11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Set up both axis exactly the same (one X, one as A, B, or C), then go to Slaving under the config menu.

budP
11-02-2008, 05:58 PM
still confused?
You just have to have another controller and run it with the same step direction signal as the other motor
budP

Rob27
11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Ohhh... two or three mouse clicks to get it configured in mach 3... haha! That is simple!

This should probably be under design but, what do people usually use to move these, ie, two lead screws on each motor, a rack and pinion setup, belts? I guess I was going to use two lead screws with anti backlash nuts. Is this going to be a pain to set up? I already have one lead screw, I dont want to spend more then I have to!

Oh and when setting velocity and acceleration (motor tuning), and one motor is a slave to another, I only need to configure the main motor, and the slave will be the same? Right?

Thanks guys!

Rob

ger21
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Oh and when setting velocity and acceleration (motor tuning), and one motor is a slave to another, I only need to configure the main motor, and the slave will be the same? Right?

Thanks guys!

Rob

They must use exactly the same settings for slaving to work correctly.