PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know a know of a good book for mill, tool making?

sendkeys
10-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Hello everyone

Does anyone know a good book for making mill tools. Making engraving bits, sharpening endmills, even making your own endmills and any other mill tool :)

sendkeys
11-01-2004, 03:31 AM
i guess no one reads anymore :) hehe

thanks anyway

scottsss
11-01-2004, 06:36 PM
What type of milling and tool making? It is a very broad subject. I've only made a fixture or two and a few otehr little tools. I'll help if I can.

sendkeys
11-01-2004, 09:46 PM
hiya Scottsss

Mostly trying to find something on engraving bits, endmill sharpening. cutting tools. not really fixtures. Just trying to come up with some idea's to save money on tooling. I have access to a surface grinder,heat treating kiln ect. i know the basic idea for simple stuff like "d-bit" but be nice to see a book on other tools. maybe come up with a better way of making them.

Main problem is i dont think there is a book on this subject :( hehe. Maybe just parts here and there inside other books. Been hunting Amazon for week or so now havnt seen much in the line of "cutting tool making"

Thanks Scottsss

scottsss
11-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Machinery's Handbook has a section on that. You can also check out their other books. http://www.industrialpress.com/en/index.asp

HuFlungDung
11-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Scott,

This is a pretty specialized field and requires a lot of special equipment and processes. I would imagine if you went to purchase a cnc tool grinder, that it might have a lot of the necessary functions built into the operation manual.

First off, you need to learn about helical milling processes. This is the gearing action required to make a form cutter cut a helical path in the tool blank, to form the flute of the cutter. Various helix angles are required for different cutters specifically for certain metals.

A lot of high quality tools are made now, ground from solid hardened material. This means a cnc tool grinder creates the tool from start to finish. The blank could be high speed steel or carbide. Perhaps even a carbide preform, which would be easier to grind than carbide that has been sintered (final bonding to convert it from a pressed powder to "real metal" ).

Then, you need to learn about clearance angles to make a tool cut properly. This information is available in manuals that come with milling cutter resharpeners.

Other cutters, called form-relieved cutters are used for various milling processes, like gear cutting, etc. These require special lathes that can repeatedly push the tool into the toolblank, while it is rotating, to "back off" (create cutting clearance) for each tooth of a multi-tooth, wheel type cutter.

Its a big field when it comes time to buy the machinery to do it all. :)

sendkeys
11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Scotts i have a real old copy of the "Machinery's Handbook" that i picked up at a yard sale. You might be right think i will go down to the tech bookstore here in town i was told about and will check out see what's in the new version :) Thanks for the idea :)

Hiya HuFlungDung
Cnc grinder is a idea... Will have to look into that some more. I can check out there manuals online that's a very good idea :)

Thanks guys for the help at least i have somthing to try i was almost going to give up and just go back to what i was doing befor :)