PDA

View Full Version : Need phase converter for Trak 1540v lathe

cmacclel
10-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a Trak 1540v lathe.

Here are the electrical specs from the MFG

Spindle HP – 10
Voltage - 220
Amps/full load - 36
Phase/HZ-3/60

Do I need a 10hp or larger rotary converter? I have a 100 amp panel in the garage all new wiring will I see light dim and such?

Thanks Mac

newmember
10-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi !
I have a 15 horsepower capable baldor rotarty phase converter that i would sell if you live near western north carolina.
my direct email is itzbill@nctv.com. I have used mill controls by southwestern industries and i would recommend them.
bill

mc-motorsports
10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
build your own, they are simple! I know the plans are posted up on this board somewhere, the only thing I can't remember is how to calculate the size of the capacitor that you need, it's so many uf per HP. If you can do basic wiriring, you can build your own converter and if anything ever goes wrong, you'll know how to fix it.

For instance, I burned up the motor in an old engine lathe years ago. My dumb ass left the power hooked up to the lathe (through the phase converter). With 2 mills and an air compressor running, I didn't realize I pushed the spindle motor "on" lever up when I walked by and bumped it with a piece of material in my hand. End result was the capacitor exploded and the breaker tripped. No problem, drove out to Grianger, bought another cap and everything was back on line!