PDA

View Full Version : Esprit--Anyone used it or using it???

drewg350
10-19-2004, 01:24 AM
I noticed that there's alot of software forum's here under the CAD/CAM topic's but that Esprit doesn't have a page. Is anyone else using this software, and if so, how do you like it, and what type of machines are you programming with it? Thanks in advance!!

tex
11-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I noticed that there's alot of software forum's here under the CAD/CAM topic's but that Esprit doesn't have a page. Is anyone else using this software, and if so, how do you like it, and what type of machines are you programming with it? Thanks in advance!!

Esprit2003 was the software that came with HAS SL-30 lathe I used to work on. Did not check it out thoroughly (I work in CATIA), but it seems pretty good. Used to like it's backplotting abilities, though.

krismiller2
03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
I have been using Esprit for 7 years now. It has to be one of the best cam software's I have used. I would recommend it to anyone.

DKeach
07-11-2005, 02:12 PM
You probably won't see a lot of Esprit related forums out there because Esprit (DP Technology) has a pretty good internal support system. If you aren't already hooked up with their web service you may want to check it out.

firedog
07-11-2005, 02:21 PM
I am using it as well. Their internal support is very good, and their A&E techs are checking the forum pages within the DP website constantly. I am programming Okuma lathes and mills, Haas lathes and mills, Tree m-centers, as well as Mori Seiki and Hitachi Seiki lathes. Some of the lathes are 4 axis and some have live tooling.
Post development takes time, but the Esprit techs seem to be good at working thru whatever issues you may have.

ghyman
07-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but I have used Esprit since back when it was called Vantage.
It matured into a freaking awesome package about 10 years ago, but it needed a Unix platform to run.
They took the look-n-feel and made it work on WinNT; still awesome.
Then they tried to make a Windows look-and-feel interface, and it was like they started from scratch, and were typing all of the code left-handed. It was very pretty, but it was a step WAYYYY back from where they had been. The functionality was only 50% of where it had been, and the stability was horrible.
They've gotten marginally better in the past 3 years, but I still think they've given up a lot of the 'stuff' that made them great.

And true, they do have a good support staff, but it is my opinion that since the jump to the native windows interface, their support staff (and R&D staff as well) have been mostly doing reactive service, bug fixes, and workarounds.

I hope that they can someday make it back to where they were in days gone by!

the thrill
12-29-2005, 11:13 PM
I use esprit because Mori Seiki has a very close relationship with DP Technology so that is the product of choice for my tech center (Mori Seiki, NJ). I have created programs with that software that will blow your mind if I showed you pictures of the parts and after 2 months of using it (ive been using it now for over a year), I was able to create my own post processors for our SuperMILLER (5 axis VMC with turning) series machine and write my own gundrilling cycles that post out perfectly every time. I recommend Esprit to anybody looking for tons of power out of a CAM system. I've been using it almost daily to program parts for aerospace and tooling companies without any problems. Any questions just ask... nuthinbuttrubl89@aol.com

Exodus8931
10-27-2006, 11:52 AM
we just got the esprit software .... looks good ... there are a few thing that I would like to see changed ... cause it's messing me up ...

like the depth value .... is positive .... ( I always put in a negative value)

and the other thing is that once ure in the oporation setup stage ... in the input fields .... u can't do right click and select what every geometry that u are looking for ...

but overall it look preaty good

thanks

the thrill
10-27-2006, 06:50 PM
The reason they chose the positive Z for "depth" is the same reason why you would say "the well is 8 feet deep". You wouldnt say "the well is negative 8 feet deep" because that would mean that it is reaching 8 feet into the sky. If you have ever used any conversational programs you'll see the same thing. Once you define the top of stock where you are referencing from (how do you like the ease of work plane creation by the way?) you tell it to go XX deep from that point. It takes some getting used to if you do a lot of G code programming on the floor because everything is -Z from the top of the work face. Same goes for lathes unless 1) you set your datum at the back of the part or 2) you are working on a subspindle. I have always programmed with conversational controls so the positive depth is easy to understand for me. If you write to esprit support maybe you can suggest there be a switch in the default settings that allow you to swap the positive values for negative...

noise
11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
How about Esprit for 4 axis wire EDM Getting an online Demo with sales rep next week. Any comments or suggestions of things to make sure to ask?

Mike

Mike Mattera
11-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Exodus: ".... u can't do right click and select what every geometry that u are looking for "

Sounds like a former Mastercam user.

Depth: I've always thought that you should specify depth in the direction you want to drill. You mentioned Conversational programming. I programmed Heidenhain for years. They always put in the direction. Because, theoretically you cpould drill Up if you wanthed to. What is you have a right angle head pointing to the right, you'd be drilling X+. If it was pointing to the left you'd be drilling X-.

Mike Mattera

sodickappsguy
12-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Esprit 4axis EDM is good and there solid modeling for edm is killer but my gripe about esprit is that when you upgrade to the next version (IE 2005 to 2006) they change the way a function works and then you cant simply open and older esprit file with the newer version and then every time you open an older file you have to redo the cut paths and operations.

Exodus8931
12-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Exodus: ".... u can't do right click and select what every geometry that u are looking for "

Sounds like a former Mastercam user.

Depth: I've always thought that you should specify depth in the direction you want to drill. You mentioned Conversational programming. I programmed Heidenhain for years. They always put in the direction. Because, theoretically you cpould drill Up if you wanthed to. What is you have a right angle head pointing to the right, you'd be drilling X+. If it was pointing to the left you'd be drilling X-.

Mike Mattera

yes i used mastercam for 5 years ...

still my z levell where ever i would set it to be ....
and then don't call it depth .... call it z levell .... in negative ... or positive ...
depending on my z top of part ....

not that what u are saying isn't right .... but this isn't grammer school ...
i think that esprit is the only software that i seen with this kind of setup ...

Exodus8931
12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
i have to add one more thing ....

esprit might be nice software ... buy we had to send it back ... .
it just woldn't cut ....

to do the features that we wanted to do ... was a hassle .... we had to create new features ...
too much time ....

and if we took the whole model ... yes it would program it .... if i sent that out to the floor ... i would have the machinist standing next to me in 5 minutes .... asking me what the heck is this ....

blocks with holes ... and other simple stuff ... no problem ... loved it ....

things that needed 100 or more opporations .... hated it .... sorry ... bye bye ...

thanks

Zeekh
01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Is Esprit the same software that came with my Haas machine?

yetiman
01-22-2007, 03:56 PM
The company that I worked for used esprit and I would have to agree with Exodus about some of the problems with it. Also have to agree with the upgrade issue. We ran mostly kitamura mills and had spent about 3 months getting the post just right. It would generate the code like we all wanted. Easy editing at the machine if it needed it etc, then the engineers decided we needed the next upgrade and bam. So much for the all the work we had put in tweaking the post, which by the way their support never did get right. We were just starting to get the problems ironed back out when the company I worked for decided to move operations to china.

It can be a really a really huge asset for a company but be prepared to have people spend alot of time learning it and possibly modifying the post processors and such. For smaller shops something a bit less pricey might work just as well or even better.

Verfur
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Esprit since 2000,

Have 2007 right now 3ax

ALLtra Mach
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I've been a user for 6 months, never had anything else so i cannot compare.

had some of the same problems ....i drill down, down is negative, i dont care what you call the thing, depth, z-level...down is -! But thats a machinist thoughts, not a programmers, there is a difference!

When it comes to software support , I have never seen any better than Cim in Tulsa.

i don't have a post problem, with the maintenance contract we get free post for life, for any machines we now or ever own! How much is that worth?

If I don't know how to program something, or cannot get something to work, I e-mail my file to Steve, he makes me a personalized video tutorialof how to do it and sends it back, usually in under an hour!...find any body to do that?

Esprit does have some issues, some development to do...But i also get the new version for free every year!

Call cim, ask for a demo....you'll be impressed.

Find a cheaper software that offers as much, look at all the included cost of getting it to actually making parts and see how little difference there is!

CNCEDM
07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
How about Esprit for 4 axis wire EDM Getting an online Demo with sales rep next week. Any comments or suggestions of things to make sure to ask?

Mike

I have used it for 10 years. They have always pretty much owned the wire EDM market. I used it to run all my programs, but I didn’t draw in it.

What I liked about it was that once you built your common cut technology library; it was just a click to run multiple skims, taper etc.

What I didn’t like about it was that it couldn’t recognize geometry (like the end of a line); only points. So if you are going to go anything, you had to put a point on the geometry. I also didn’t like the fact that when XP came out, it would run in XP but the simulation was so fast you couldn’t see it. They had a patch, but they would not let me have it because I didn’t buy yearly maintenance.

I don’t know if those things are still an issue, but I would make sure it will run in both XP and Vista. (OR anything else you may want to use.)

jbird68
09-19-2007, 04:56 PM
We got Esprit 2007 last year and it has a slide bar to speed up or slow down the simulation. I sometimes have problems with Entry and Exit clearances. I've had to have my post modified many times. I works, but it can take you half a day or so to program a part and post it out. I always check my posted program over very thoroughly before taking it to the machine. It's easier if you have a solid part to import and then you don't have to draw it in Esprit. I don't like having to have points to start a feature on either. For the price we paid for Esprit I would have expected it to be easier and faster to program with.

Verfur
09-20-2007, 08:56 AM
we have always had good luck with Esprit and Their support. If possible take the Post programing class and custom tweeking is painless mostly. In the Least they will let you change your own post unlike others. I do know posts are a salt to your own taste and I would put money on the fact that our machine files for a program on the same machine would look way diffrent.

Esprit is like any other program after some time you can find nice little short cuts that work wonderfull.

If you have a change in the software that you think would be good you can send it to the support people or somthing thats real cool is to write your own custom macro. Esprit does have a lot of diffrent functions it can do and can get over my ability/needs but all in all I think its the Best in its Price range.

Like all programs I wish all the options were turned on without the extra charge like ability to read CATIA files

jbird68 what program did you use before ESPRIT?

How would you know where you were at if you had no piont to start from??

And I do Agree on the Price ouch only gets cheaper with more seats and still
but they have to make money to feed there aaaaaaa ......... well what ever it is it eats a lot. LOL

CNCEDM
09-20-2007, 07:24 PM
How would you know where you were at if you had no piont to start from??

We were talking about picking a point for something…. Stop, power change, whatever. Other systems can recognize either end or the mid point of a line; Esprit requires you to actually put a point there. I don’t use Esprit’s CAD, so if I even think I might need to do something I have to put points at the end of lines.

Verfur
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Have you used the park tool at least that is what I have done for like pallet change, part change or check op stops. off part that is not mid cycle.
Esprit will recognize end and mid pionts in the feature if you use manual feature and select each piont. this doe make a bumpy part as it will progran to each piont along the way that you have selected. As for there Cad it took a few days to get used to open geometry and once I did it smokes the others for parts, now I would not draw a House and its fixtures in it as you could in Autocad although some of the edits in Esprit make a few of my Autocad freinds a little envious.

And oops I just now got the EDM part on you handle. Humm I see
Its still my understanding that Esprit rocks in the EDM from the few I have talked to (very few). We run a couple of cnc waterjets and they run there own lang and we use there program for it only at the moment they are only two axes with auto "Z"

jbird68
09-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Vefer,
We bought a new Leadwell T8-SM CNC Lathe in 2005 and didn't have a CAM program. We have a 1998 Hitachi-Seiki HT23J lathe that came with multi-conversational programming. But it had no way to program live tooling or a sub-spindle. It also does not program any canned cycles. It's all line-by-line G-code.

We had 6 different program demonstrations come to our facility before we decided on Esprit.
If I remember correctly we looked at the following programs:
ESPRIT
GibbsCam
MasterCam
SolidCam
SurfCam
PartMaker

It's funny how upset a salesman will get when you don't choose their software. We chose Esprit for the simulation and CAD capabilities. The only thing I don't like about Esprit's drawing capabilities is the way you trim lines. You can trim all in between two lines or all outside two lines. Not always where you want to trim to.

Verfur
09-21-2007, 11:50 AM
try trim or keep and then select the line for edit, then hold down ctrl key and then select the lines at which you want to keep it at or trim it at

HapSmo19
12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I've used it for about five years and like it the bestest. It is the only CAD/CAM software I've really spent alot of time on though. I've messed around with MasterCam, GibbsCam and Geopath but felt like Esprit was tailor-made for my approach. I really like the CAD end. I thought they made drawing very easy.

Whodat421
12-09-2007, 03:58 AM
I just started using Esprit for fourth axis and I am having difficulty using the wrap contour function to create Cams. Can anyone help with with wrapping when the z axis depth varies?

BluegrassPicker
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
If you have the maintenace contract and are able to log in to the esprit web,
go here:

https://www.dptechnology.com/ew/tbs/tbd.asp?BulletinID=1574

Othatvideo
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Have used Esprit since '88 when we had a blistering 15mhz of speed on our HP & it was known as Esprit Basic 5.whatever...just after Vantage. I'm a Mitsubishi Wire EDM user & was taught waaaay long time ago to use the variables in the wire machine (memory was limited back then). From what I've been exposed too, Esprit rocks where CAD is concerned. Easy to draw & la la la. I stopped upgrading at v2003 when DP last supported the Generic EDM type of programming.

I believe in putting the power AT the wire machine. DP believes in "if you change the program, then you need to simply repost your program." ummm...I don't want to repost. I simply want to change THE part that I've changed. Maybe just tweak a variable.

I have a few thousand CAD files. DP has not been kind through the years regarding making newer programs compatible with a previous version of your file. Example? Bring up a v2003 CAD file....save it using v2005 or newer...you can NOT save it in any version whatsoever that v2003 will understand unless you pitch all of your toolpaths to the wind & save it in .dxf format or what have you.

The .dxf translators have lacked attention as well usually ending up with your annotations being shelled to other CAD program users. I understand theri motive though especially when they state, "We will not spend much time making our product compatible with an older version of a competitors." There's no money in that & I'm okay with that.

My problem? I word for a money strapped O.E.M. supplier where our department is the ONLY department using Esprit. The rest of the corporation uses AutoCAD2007 or 8. It's a challenge sometimes.

There are so many toys, bells & whistles inside of the v2003 that I've yet to find in learn. Too busy to learn to draw in 3D. Maybe it's easier?...I dunno. I've got 2 wire machines & 3 Toolmakers to keep busy.

Long story short?...very powerful software. I'm becoming an old fart that's not afraid to change...but why does the software have to change so often?

My first post. Howdie everyone. -Brent

ALLtra Mach
09-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm becoming an old fart that's not afraid to change...but why does the software have to change so often?

My first post. Howdie everyone. -Brent

Hi!

Software changes because the users (us) scream for changes!