PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Bandit in DNC Mode

Reder
09-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I have a Bandit controller that works just fine except the on board memory is very small. To load the bandit I turn knob to CE then hit start then load.

Can anybody point me in the direction of running the Bandit in DNC mode? Using Surfcam DNC on another mill with no problems. Just unsure how to set the Bandit up in DNC mode.

Thanks

Reder

HuFlungDung
09-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't know if I ever tried that when I used to run a Bandit, but according to the book, you can do it in MDI, Auto single or AUTO mode by typing in
G10
then hit START.
There is some indication that you'll need a line number on the first line of the external program, and end the external program in the usual manner with the CTRL S machine control code, which is Ascii 19. An M2 will also end the external program.

Reder
09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Set to Xon/Xoff (hardware) on DNC program. Used MDI Mode with G10 and ran a program. It worked then the error light came on. I'll keep at it.

Thanks,

Reder

HuFlungDung
09-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Bandit is definitely not Xon/Xoff because that is software handshake. It should be RTS/CTS hardware providing that your cable is correct.

How many lines did you get it to execute before it stopped? Don't do anything illegal like using loops and subroutine jumps in the external program, because it cannot work that way. The program has to be written out 'long'.

BTW, I think that the DNC baud rate is less than the max baud rate allowed for program transfer. I recall there being a DIP switch to set baud rate, but be darned if I know if you actually have to change that for DNC. Try various baud rates to see if you can find one that works. Slower, not faster.

Albright's CNC in Bozeman MT, might be able to help you with the details of the DIP switch settings.