PDA

View Full Version : Machine Sizes

almo0797
09-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know where the machine parameters can be set for table size ie
X Y & Z axis maximum values so I can define a machines envelope.

Triv
09-12-2008, 11:03 PM
For what machine control? It varies by builder... A LOT

almo0797
09-15-2008, 02:45 AM
We have various sizes of machine and different controllers. I would like to know how to define the table size and any other parameters that are available for each machine. I cannot see any values in the Mac Edit. At the moment I am only using the demo version of SolidCam

Brakeman Bob
09-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Does anyone know where the machine parameters can be set for table size ie
X Y & Z axis maximum values so I can define a machines envelope.

If you are using 5 axis machining, you set up a portion of the MAC file found right down at the bottom regarding machine simulation. Otherwise, you have to do what I did when I first started with SolidCAM and set the machine limits as constants in the GPP file and work off those. Remember, you need to set up each variant of machine with their own post processor comprising of a MAC file and a GPP file. These files will usually be found in \SolidCAM\Gpptool depending on what you selected when you installed the software.

The help files on GPP are good and tweaking your own post isn't difficult.

almo0797
09-15-2008, 03:44 AM
Morning Bob. Ive made a copy of the MAC & GPPT files of the default FANUC controller to see what changes I can make to customise them. But I cannot find any values in the GPPT File for the axis limit values for a particular machine. I must admit I have no experience of editing these type of files to control the output to a machine.

Brakeman Bob
09-16-2008, 05:33 AM
Morning Bob. Ive made a copy of the MAC & GPPT files of the default FANUC controller to see what changes I can make to customise them. But I cannot find any values in the GPPT File for the axis limit values for a particular machine. I must admit I have no experience of editing these type of files to control the output to a machine.

Right, this is a big topic and I will use the X axis as an illustration.

You will not find any ready-made values in the GPP file, what you do is declare some numeric variables in the @init_post of your own such as

global numeric x_axis_upper_limit
global numeric X_axis_lower_limit

then set them with a literal values such as

x_axis_upper_limit = 0
x_axis_lower_limit = -600

Then you have to tell the CAM where your part X axis zero is on the machine (the value you would set with G10), which I did via some Part Option variable set in the MAC file and accessible through the CAM settings for the part.

Then in the GPP file youe create a sub routine to add the values of Xpos (which is generated by the CAM) to the value of X axis zero and compare the result with the limits that you have set up up and if the reult is out of limits flag it up with a message box.

If you are using the demo version, I don't think it allows you to post out G code, so developing this in the post is not really practicable. Can you get your reseller to give you an evaluation key for a while?

The GPP language is a bit similar to BASIC in programming terms. I learnt from experimenting. SolidCAM do a PDF of a manual for programming posts in GPP which you can download from thier website - this is really useful.