PDA

View Full Version : cutting text with a router

CNC Darren
10-12-2004, 07:50 PM
hey guys, As my machine get closer to the almost but never done phase I have a question about cutting text into a a piece of wood. Kinda like a sign with the letters cut into the wood, what software are you guys using? After tweaking my machine I would like to try this.

Darren

Aksess
10-12-2004, 07:56 PM
i use deskengrave and best of all it is free from http://deskam.com/deskengrave.html :cheers:

CNC Darren
10-12-2004, 11:34 PM
thanks!! I tried it but Mach2 didnt seem to like it but i will play with it

A. Shuford
10-13-2004, 08:41 PM
i JUST GOT MY ROUTER WORKNG TODAY AND TRIED THE DESKENGRAVE ON MY MACH2 AND IT SEEMS TO WORK. BOY I AM HAVING A NEW EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PROGRAM. I OWN A TORCHMATE CNC PLASMA CUTTER AND IT WAS EASY COMPARED TO MACH2.

CNC Darren
10-13-2004, 09:07 PM
I know what you mean but I have been using the demo version of mach2 for about 2 weeks and have gotten use to it, i still dont know it all but i'm getting there.

High Seas
10-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Just a quick question [or 2 ~3, if I may]

- How are you cutting the text? (In MACH2):
1. Importing an image? I've done some neat house numbers that way, or
2. Using the "Write Wizzard"? I haven't found much use for it yet.
DeskEngrave seems to be easy to work with - I found I had to "fiddle" a bit to get the size lettering then moved back to MACH2 (for the house numbers in 1 above). Jim

CNC Darren
10-14-2004, 12:09 AM
I was making a DXF in DeskEngrave, importing it into sheetcam (wich i really like) so I can set the cutter right/left compensation and make the gcode. Then load the gcode in Mach2, so far this has worked the best.

A. Shuford
10-14-2004, 06:04 AM
One thing that I am having to figure out is how to import a DXF File into the lower left corner of the X & Y axis. If it is done in Autocad it seems to be relative to where it is placed in Autocad. If the file is done in Corel Draw, this does not seem to hold true.