PDA

View Full Version : Velocity 4

moldcore
09-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Anyone know when it will ship? It was supposed to be shipped in the late spring. Where they talking about the spring of ’09? My maintenance is coming up and with only one update this year I’m beginning to wonder about my future with Surfcam. I came close to buying Feature Cam a few years ago, maybe I should look into it again.

Cammotion
09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Anyone know when it will ship? It was supposed to be shipped in the late spring. Where they talking about the spring of ’09? My maintenance is coming up and with only one update this year I’m beginning to wonder about my future with Surfcam. I came close to buying Feature Cam a few years ago, maybe I should look into it again.

moldcore, I believe they introduced V4 at a tool show in July. My dealer told me that we would get it "this summer", and Surfware says it will be released in September. I hope so, our Maint. is due in October, and it would disgust me if they made us spend $$$ to get it.

Maguillacutty
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I am waiting for Velocity 4 as well. I thought it was coming out in sept sometime.

Cammotion
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I am waiting for Velocity 4 as well. I thought it was coming out in sept sometime.

Well, let's hope for the best!

sinderal
09-11-2008, 11:33 AM
I am testing the Velocity V4 Alpha, it look great especilly the Advance 3 Axis finishing (All New High-Speed Machining Strategies)
1. Rest Machining
2. 3D Offset
3. Steep/Shallow
4. Pencil

Also, 4- and 5-Axis Major Enhancements
1. New Gouging Strategies
2. Enhanced Swarf Machining
3. New Retract Types
4. Enhanced Lead-In/Out Motion and Gap Handling

Part and Surface Boundaries
1. Bounding Box
2. Silhouette
3. Shallow Areas
4. .Theoretical Rest Areas

I think it will the one to two Beta release this months for the dealers! And the commercial release maybe be around Oct. 2008

moldcore
09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I And the commercial release maybe be around Oct. 2008

That’s too late and too little for us, our maintenance will expire before then and I for sure will not renew. If memory serves me right, there has been only one minor update in the past year, that’s unacceptable.

Until they make some improvements in the program’s interface all these changes are just fluff or lipstick on a pig if you will. I’m so tired of all mouse clicks to do just the simplest tasks when every, I mean every program today has made great strides in this area. I have no problem with the programs Surfcam generates and the speed it generates them, I don’t think anymore improvements in toolpath generation speed is warranted when there is so much that needs to be done with its core structure.

Oh yes, I went back and looked a power point demo that was sent to me in February that shows these “improvements”. On the last page of the demo it says “Release date 2nd Qtr of 2008”

sinderal
09-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Those new 3 Axis Finish functions will be remarked "HSM" in your operation. If you want use the old 4 functions should check box in the Tool --> Option --> NC Default --> Use 3 Axis Classic Mill

I also worry about the maint. will be expired for my customers and could not activate to use the new V4, but from my over 19 years experience, the date limitation maybe will be after July 1, 2008 to get the V4(I hope so!).

However, Surfware also give some special to customer for the maint. this year, just contact your dealer for that information.

Cammotion
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
OK, I just checked the Surfware site, and still no V4. Anybody heard anything? They don't have much time left to keep the September release promise.

Maguillacutty
10-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Anybody get Velocity 4 yet???

MaCroB
10-09-2008, 07:47 PM
According to my local guy in Phoenix, V4 will ship out the end of this month!

Maguillacutty
10-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Right on, anxiously waiting

moldcore
11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Well… It’s mid November and still no release. What a joke. I hope the humor about those on maintenance on July 1st would receive it is true because ours has expired. We definitely will be looking at other programs next year. This dinosaur has seen its day.

Cammotion
11-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Well… It’s mid November and still no release. What a joke. I hope the humor about those on maintenance on July 1st would receive it is true because ours has expired. We definitely will be looking at other programs next year. This dinosaur has seen its day.

Yup, still in beta as I understand, and supposed to ship this month. Think it'll happen? According to the web site, some nice upgrades, but I hear that the interface is the same.

sinderal
11-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Now is at SURFCAM Velocity 4 Build 177 RELEASE CANDIDATE!

It should be released before end od this month!

moldcore
11-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Too little, too late.

We’re moving on unless they offer it to those who’s maintenance has expired and received zero for the past year. They had the nerve to offer us a grace period until the end of the year to pay up without penalty. We said we already paid the penalty by not receiving anything for last year’s maintenance fee.

PinnacleMachine
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I went to my user group meeting last week and was told that it should be released with in 2 weeks - this was from Surfware. Surfware was saying that the have a new build every day right now to work out the little bugs. I was very impressed with the new 3 axis stuff and the biggie for me is that it is multicore capable for the new toolpaths. The old legacy stuff is still only single core.

We'll see.

JP

theisfarm
12-18-2008, 09:59 PM
We received Velocity 4 today. It looks like it has some features that should make things easier and better tool paths. It did crash though a couple times (had to restart the software), not sure why.