PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my first 3D part.

MrBean
10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Here's a couple of shots of my first 3D part. It serves no purpose, except as a test.

I've had a few problems to iron out, but I'm starting to get a head now.

ynneb
10-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Thats fantastic MrBean, what tool bits did you use? How long did it take to cut?
Would you be willing to post up your Gcode in this thread so that others can also get a head too :)
That might be the only head some people will ever get. :)

Graham S
10-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Two wrongs (on the comedy front) don't make a right ;)

Rekd
10-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Two wrongs (on the comedy front) don't make a right ;)

Agreed.

You guys will never get a head in life if you keep it up..

wbegg
10-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Nice!! I've generated the same piece in G-code, but not sure I trust my router to run for 4 hours (as Mach5 tells me).

What was your cutting rate, and also as ynneb inquired, what type of bit(s)?

MrBean
10-11-2004, 07:24 PM
I still have limited tools. I plan on getting more variety real soon. This CNC thing is addictive.

I used a flat ended 6mm(dia) two flute cutter.

cutting speed was 20 IPM.

1 roughing pass
1 parallel finishing pass

1st pass was around 2.5 hours
2nd pass was around 1 hour

I would be happy to post the G-code for anyone who wants to "get a head". It'll have to be tomorrow tho' as it's late and the files are in the garage, on the router computer.
You can probably get much faster times than this, but I am limited by:

My Y speed is maxed out at 20 IPM
My Z speed is maxed out at 5 IPM
My X speed is way faster at 90 IPM

Because the axii have to be interpollated my actual speed was less than 20 IPM for much of the time.

The piece was cut from pine. The size of the machined area is approx 2.75" * 4.25" * 1.3"

Regards Terry...

ynneb
10-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Rekd, I think you might be getting a head off yourself here, all I was saying is what a nice Job it was, and that others may want a similar sort of Job.

ger21
10-11-2004, 08:43 PM
You might want to quit while your, a head?

Phoenix-MN
10-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham S
Two wrongs (on the comedy front) don't make a right

But 3 lefts do - :stickpoke

Graham S
10-12-2004, 06:28 PM
(chair)

MrBean
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Took me a while, but that's quite funny now I get it. :D

MrBean
10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Here's the G-codes of the head. For those that want it. :nono:

ynneb
10-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Now that the downloads section is up and running it may pay to also upload the file there too. Also post a picture in that section so people know what they are downloading.

Thanks for sharing it too.

I am trying very hard not to continue on with the joke, even though your last comment set it up for more.

MrBean
10-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I'll have a look at adding the files and a piccy to the downloads. Should be there, as soon as I figure out how to do it...

Yeah, lets FACE it, the jokes getting a bit tired now...

Regards Terry...

MrBean
10-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Can't seem to upload to the downloads section. :withstupi

This is what I get:

"Error: Filesize is too big."

Files do not seem that big. 156K for the .GC & 75K for the .jpg

will try again later.

Regards Terry...

ger21
10-12-2004, 08:08 PM
You can probably zip the g-code down to almost nothing.

MrBean
10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
That size is the Zipped down G-codes. Was >600K before.

g4ry
04-02-2007, 10:05 AM
I know this is digging kinda deep, reviving a 3 year old thread...

I just finished building my first CNC router, and used this as a test file for it...it worked great. I'm really interested in doing some more 3d stuff (or 2.5d i guess), and was wondering exactly how you went about generating the code in this particular instance.

cheers,
g4ry

grahamshere
04-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Hey g4ry , I havent cut any thing with the gcode ive done but what i do to generate gcode is, First i make my model in silo, thats my 3d soft ware i use, could also use others like rino , wings and such. then i load that nto cut3d and set every thing up in there for gcode, then i open that file from mach3. Once i figure silo out better ill post some gcode on cnc zone so pepole can test there machines with them, hopfully. Im still setting up my machine. Good luck. Graham

MrBean
04-02-2007, 03:11 PM

I just finished building my first CNC router, and used this as a test file for it...it worked great. I'm really interested in doing some more 3d stuff (or 2.5d i guess), and was wondering exactly how you went about generating the code in this particular instance.

cheers,
g4ry

Digging deep.... You're not kidding. 3 years eh? It doesn't seem that long since I ran my first 3D part.

From what I remember, the 3D model was a demo model that shipped with Rhino3D. The toolpath for it was made using Visualmill.

paulC
04-02-2007, 03:42 PM

cheers,
g4ry

Check out the products from vectric. They have some really cool stuff and there are demo versions of the tools that let you have a play. The price is pretty good for what you get. Tony Mac from Vectric is a regular here in the zone.
http://www.vectric.com
Paul

walter
04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I used a similar STL file and the toolpath was generated in FreeMill, which is free and very easy to use.

http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Products/FreeMill.shtml

I did separate roughing with 1/4" ballnose, finishing with 1/8" ballnose, total time around 30 min. Feed rate somewhere between 60-90 ipm.

Here's the piece (from 2004):

CurtisU
04-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Walter,

When you say roughing, did you actually use a "roughing" cutter?

I'm new to this sport, ordered some milling bits and wondered, while shopping, if a roughing pass, with roughing bit, followed by a regular bit would be worthwhile. I'm primarily working with wood and MDF, no 3D carving stuff yet, but some pocketing, cutouts, etc. It seems as though using roughing bits may be economical, by extending the life of the regular cutters.

Thanks,
Curtis

ger21
04-02-2007, 07:18 PM
It seems as though using roughing bits may be economical, by extending the life of the regular cutters.

Roughing bits for wood are quite expensive, and unless you'll be cutting over 300ipm, I'd think it would be a lot cheaper to just buy inexpensive 2 flute carbide tipped straight bits, and have them resharpened when they get dull. You can get them for about $10 each for 1/2". A good 1/2" spiral roughing bit will be about $60. But if you have a good, fast machine, then they're worth every penny, because they fly through material, very quietly, and with little effort.

walter
04-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Walter,
When you say roughing, did you actually use a "roughing" cutter?

No, just a regular 1/4" ball nose, probably 4 flute. It was back in 2004 and I was just starting out, I had no idea what roughing cutter was.

I think both 1/4" and 1/8" bits were 4 flute and spinning >15000rpm.
1/8" bit used with fine step over (0.01") and 1/4" bit with coarse (0.1")
I'm sure the whole thing (2" x 3") was done in 30 min.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/129/ballnoseym6.jpg

IQChallenged
01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
I was really down and out this morning, depressed. Decided to play with my CNC machine. I've always assumed it would be unable to do anything 3d. It's rack and pinion with no gear reduction (yet) so I felt that only crude machining was possible. But then I ran across the face code and decided to see just what would happen. It's supposed to be cut with 6mm bit but .25 is the closest I had. After I had run the code I accidentally ran a spinning 1/2" bit over his forhead and again over the bridge of the nose. But you can still see the detail. I had no idea this level of quality was possible with a 1/4" bit and a homemade CNC. The black stuff in the left eye orbit is some trash. The wax has been recycled.

I can't tell you how uplifting it was to my spirits to see this thing slowly evolving from a piece of wax. A man simply cannot overestimate the therapeutic value of a little head.

http://ProjectCNC.wordpress.com

RuddMan
06-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I found this to be an interesting test for the live tooling function of our HAAS SL20. G112 Cartesian to Positioning Polar Transformation changes X-Y comands to X-C interpolation. Yes this was done on a CNC Lathe in 6065 aluminum. The detail could be a little better, I had only a 1/2 inch 4 flute Ball nose endmill available at the time. I will run it again in the fall with a 1/4 inch long series ball nose endmill. see the attached pictures.