PDA

View Full Version : Operating Sys.

wantsout
08-27-2008, 11:58 PM
What Operating system is every one using now Im still using the windows 95 so i can use the dos enviroment. I use the Turbocnc. but wold like to know if any other ppl are using their cnc on any other operating systems and what kind of results are they getting...

ger21
08-28-2008, 07:11 PM
I'd say that 80% or more new users use Mach3 on XP, and the rest use EMC on Linux. I think that very, very few new users would even consider using a DOS based controller these days. I think I've seen maybe 2-3 turbocnc questions here in the last year or two.

Tony Mac
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Hello Wantsout,

The Vectric software products do NOT run on Windows 95.

The software is supported on - Windows Vista, XP, 2000 and 98

Tony

wantsout
08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
can the cut2d use dxf files from autocad, coraldraw files, and also what machine software will load the file from cut2d and cut it. got a faster computer with xp and looking for some software to do both drawings and importing and converting them to the file extension that the machine software can use, ( MACh3 or what ever software will work with the cut2d, thanks

ger21
08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes, Cut 2D can use AutoCAD .dxf's (Use v12 format for best results). And Cut2D should be able to be configured for just about any controller.

wantsout
08-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you guys for all you information, but I have another Question I can load a dxf file that is just a small box and do the toolpath and all that in cut2d and save it as a file, but when i load mach3 demo and try to load that file it will not load and the file is not bigger than 250 lines but the extension of the cut2d file is .cv and the mach3 does not seem to accept it what should i do. these are both demo versions but having trouble getting them to work together. dont want to purchase any thing that will not work together.. but from the information i read about they do. help.............I have tryed to change the file name to xxx.nc thinking Mach3 would accept it but it would not...

ger21
08-29-2008, 04:24 PM
You have to export the g-code file from Cut2D. I think there should be an icon showing a floppy disk in the toolpath section which will let you output the g-code file. It sounds like your trying to save the actual Cut2D file.

wantsout
08-29-2008, 08:46 PM
The Mach3 program tells me it will only load the sample files in the mach3 program itself, so i cant seem to put a small file in it any ways so tell me do they work together.

Switcher
08-29-2008, 09:14 PM
1) Start Cut2D
2) When your done with your work inside Cut2D, save the g-code file, find & click the "Save Toolpath"http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65669&stc=1&d=1220058104 (It's on the right side of the screen in the "Toolpaths" pane).

3) Select the PostP that's correct for your machine Example ---> "Mach2/3 Arcs (inch)(*.txt)"

4) Option to send the file straight to Mach3 after saving, put a check next to "Output direct to machine"

5) Click the "Save Toolpath(s) to File"

If you do the above it will send the Cut2D file straight to Mach3 as g-code.

Switcher
08-29-2008, 09:19 PM
The Mach3 program tells me it will only load the sample files in the mach3 program itself, so i cant seem to put a small file in it any ways so tell me do they work together.

I see what you saying. :)

Both Mach3 & Cut2D Trials.

Cut2D will only let you save sample files as g-code (none are smaller than 250 text lines).

Mach3 will only let you run files smaller than 250 text lines.

metalworkz
08-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Hello Wantsout,
I am using Cut2D with my SX3 mill and Mach3 and I'm having great results.
There is no problem using Cut2D with Mach3 and I am using VCarvePro from Vectric also with Mach3. You are probably having more problems by trying to use the trial versions than you will ever have with the full versions. Also the trial version of Mach3 will only allow something like 1000 lines of code. I think you will have a hard time finding a 2D program comparable to Cut2D that is as user friendly and so easy to learn. You will need a CAD program to draw your parts with but you can even find some free CAD programs too.

Best regards,

ger21
08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
The Mach3 trial will load and run any size file, but it will stop after 250 lines.

What do you mean the Mach tells you it will only load the sample files? I have the demo on two different PC's and they'll load any files I try. I think your not doing something correctly.

Try this one, from V-Carve Pro.

wantsout
09-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I was not thinking straight, but its the demo version og cut2d that will only let you copy a small file to the mach2/3 machine program.. as soon as i get my controllers set up. [I] fixin to order a couple of gecko drives.for my machine will try again. I think i smoked my controller boards. so got to iron that out now then back to the programs... thanks

wantsout
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
correction the cut2d will only let you load the sample files that are in cut2d and not any other that you load into it and try to save as a toolpath file, this is the demo version...

ger21
09-01-2008, 06:49 PM
correction the cut2d will only let you load the sample files that are in cut2d and not any other that you load into it and try to save as a toolpath file, this is the demo version...

That's right. With all the Vectric products, the demos will only let you cut the samples they provide.

jmerson
10-18-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm using or trying to use a Proto-trak M2 with the full version of Cut2D, starting with DXF files. I took the file and ran a couple toolpathes, saved the paths using several of the post processors, but can't seem to get the files to load. A couple of times the file would load but then would get an error message that the file was too large. The Proto-Trak uses a version of Fanuc 6 software and then tweaks it somehow. ANYONE USING THIS SOFTWARE?
Thanks for any help,
Jim

wantsout
10-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I have just now got all three stepper motors tuned and configered in Mach2 mill and they sound very good and the speed seems to be good. Just a little more tweeking and I will be ready to try routing out an engraving or some thing.

I am going to try using either cut2D or cambam for my g-code and toolpath, and mach2/3 for my machine control. I have been looking at Cambam and it looks very good. thank you guys for all your help...