PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Plasstic routing

vividdezigns
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I do not know were to post this at. I am looking for a new way to route plastic trash dumpster lids rather than using a end mill or router bit. I ahve 2 practical cnc tables and use win cnc with autocad, solidowrks and bobcam right now. are there any hot knifes or something liek that i can cut the material with. I basically make a square cut and then make a forward then half circle then forward to cut a hinge.
Can n e one help.

cut more
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
vividdezigns,
I have a practicalcnc router/plasma table too.
If a hot knife will cut through the plastic, why not just mount one where your router goes? Or just add another Z axis with the hot knife on it.

Hope that helps,
Cutmore

LeeWay
08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Would a fine pointed soldering iron cut it? Sure wouldn't have as much mess to clean up this way. No chips. :)

vividdezigns
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Na, the plastic is 2.85-3.0 mm thick when your doing an inside removel, and the deminsions of the inside removal are, 33x52 in a square. Then the router cuts the hinges they are 1 inch deep but the material thickness is only 2.85-3.00 mm thick, just a top and a bottom. I ahve attached a quick drawing of the solid hinge on bottom and were the cutouot are on the top, there are 2 of these hinges on each part.