PDA

View Full Version : Engraver Question

RickM
10-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi all,

I could have sworn there was a forum for Engravers but I can't find. I figure the machine is pretty close to a cnc routing table for the questions I have.

I recently won a New Hermes Vanguard 3000 Engraver with its controller on Ebay. Apparently the actual engraver unit is in very good condition.
They stated that "The engraving table may be driven from the traditional New Hermes electronics module (closed system) or the newer EPM (Engraving Plotter Module) and personal computer."

Is anyone familiar with either of these two setups? Would I be able to use the more generic hardware and software products mentioned on this site?

My aim is to do engraving but I'm not finding much in the way of software or harware for this unit on the Net. Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA for any help.

RickM
10-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Here are some pics:

High Seas
10-06-2004, 05:36 PM
I bet you've tried majosoft's site. If you haven't might give it a bit of a look - careful though - there are some stickies - that 'pull you off where you started" -- that may not make sense, but once you've been there you'll know what I mean. Cheers - Jim
http://home.hccnet.nl/m.de.roode/

47MLB
10-24-2005, 04:02 PM
I have aquired a simular set up. I am looking for someone who might want it. I have had trouble getting the software to work. I tried to get help from new hermes. It is all dos based for my EP controler. it is so propriatary that I cant use it with .dxf or hpgl? They want alot of money for ech diffrent piece of software.
I think I would rather trade it or sell it and buy another hobbycnc kit and build another engraver. anyone interested.
Thanks Clint

datac
11-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Greetings Guys,
I spent a lot of time behind NewHermes machines and the various "EP" controllers. They were a real challenge to utilize or engrave artwork from outside sources, but I have done it. If I were to have one today (and I often do look for one to (re-control"), I would simply try to "weed out" their electronics, try to intercept where their drivers receive step/dir input, and use a PC based Software like that from Flashcut or Mach. If it can not be determined exactly where to tie into the original drivers, try to at least use the power supply, and run a Xylotex, Hobby CNC, or Gecko set of drivers and be done with it.

The hardware was always top notch for its application, but the control and software was less than user friendly.

Chris

pauln30120
11-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys....
You may want to check out this site. I know they have controller solutions for many of the older engravers.

http://www.solustan.com/index.php?curPage=eng_upgrade

HAD3S
10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
any body knows how to wire or identify the wires from a Hermes Vanguard 3000?
Thank you