PDA

View Full Version : How to attach lead screw

Hack
10-05-2004, 10:16 PM
I am using 1/4" - 20 threaded rod for my lead screws on all 3 axis and am trying to figure out how to mount the ends. The thought that I have is just to use a simple flanged bearing on each end and a nut to hold it in place. Is this the correct way or is there a better way?

Does anyone have a closeup pic of how they did theirs?

Thanks

Ferenczyg
10-05-2004, 11:44 PM
The pinture below is not mine, is from other thread at the zone, I've stored at my HD as a help for the future. I do not remember the autor so I cannot direct you to the thread.

Hope it helps

vladdy
10-06-2004, 02:38 AM
for that size / type of driver rod, I assume this will be a lighter use hobby machine, so a smaller bearing in a pillow block will be more than adequate, preferably at the drive end..
If it's only a 'mini' type of 12 to 18" length, you may not even need any additional support, the example here has none, just a good quality air hose piece used as a flexible coupler, and locked with crimp clamps.. it's also 1/4 by 20tpi threaded rod, and MDF construction. Backlash seems to vary a bit, [go figure], but normally runs 0.004 to 0.006 ..The driven nut has no zero lash [or backlash] adjustment, it's just a 3/4" long coupler nut solder to piece of flat steel, and screwed to the x/y/z tables...