PDA

View Full Version : Advice fixing broken car seat tubing/bracket

nikolatesla20
08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I have a 2000 Ford Focus where the seat finally gave out on the right hand side, turns out it's just a bad design whereby all the force on the right hand side of the seat is transferred to the left hand side thru a tube at the bottom pivot point. It's been "leaning" over the past year and a half and finally gave out totally Sunday morning when I got in (the right side just dropped back..)

I've tried to attach some pictures so you can see what I mean.

Now, I've applied a patch with metal and screws, and this has helped the seat not fall entirely backward with no support, but that cracked pipe needs to be fixed, so the seat is nice and firm again. I can still move the right side an inch or so back and forth. If I push it forward I can get the sheared section of tubing to join back up again. I'm thinking if I can just get it stay there it will be nice and solid like new again.

My question is, can I braze this back together? I have a handheld MAPP torch, so if I braze I just need to know what type of rod to use. I think brazing would be strong enough, combined with the current fix I have already.

I think the pipe is steel, and it may be stainless steel. I don't think it is aluminum.

Any help would be appreciated! I do not have the money right now to replace the seat.

Thanks!

-niko

M250cnc
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Niko,

It won't be stainless or aluminium.

Fords are known as Dagenham Dustbins "Trashbins" this side of the pond so it will be made of cheap steel probably made in China :)

But to answer your question if you can strip it out then you should be able to braze it but also put a support down each side as well to try and form another channel.

Welding would be best as you do not have to heat the whole part up as you would have to with brazing.

HTH
Phil_H