PDA

View Full Version : Options with ordering a Keling Controller kit..

turbostang
08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Hello!

In the upcoming weeks I am going to order a Keling controller kit and I have a few questions for the masses.

This kit is going to be for a Standard Modern 13 X 34 lathe.

My questions are simple and probaly VERY common. I see the controller board is good for 2 or 3 axis machines..but the power supply is "only" a 48V/12.5A
controller info at top of page - http://kelinginc.net/ControlSystem.html

So, someone correct me if I am wrong - but on Kelings site at the top of this link ( http://kelinginc.net/SMotorstock.html )it says "The Max. applied Voltage can be up to 20-25 times of Rated Voltage *** "... and the amperage can be 2/3 of the combined amperage from the motors that are bieng used...Right?

So, given this, 2 or 3 steppers @ 2.1V can safely run off of this power supply?
I am talking about the NEMA 34 HIGH TORQUE STEPPER MOTOR 906 oz-in, ½” shaft with a flat, 95 mm KL34H295-43-8B(Rated Current: 6.1A, Rated Voltage: 2.1V (in Bipolar Parallel)

I'd be the first to admit I am electronically challenged, so I am looking here for help.

Now, that hurdle is over with - I didn't see anywhere that said what RPM these motors turn at the given voltage. I need this info to determine what these motors will need, as far as pulleys and ballscrews are concerned, to keep them in peak operating range given the rapids I'd like to see (~300 IPM)...

Last but not least, since I am electronically challenged and don't know squat about wiring I was wondering if the controllers can be "upgraded".. I.e. add a C3 pulse card if it doesn't come with one, prewired for coolant pump control, and possibly prewired for a VFD..

..or is the last part even that difficult?

Thanks for the help guys!

turbostang
08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
anyone?? :(

cabnet636
08-16-2008, 09:31 AM
i recently bought kelings stepper box with the 6050 drives 48v 7.6 amp, after speaking to john i believe he upped the power supply to the 12.5 amp.

i was retrofitting to a wincnc controller so i took the box apart and put all components in a larger nema enclosure canned the 25 pin breakout board and used my 37 pin breakout board as required for win cnc, further i am going to up grade the 200oz anaheim motors to the 960 that i have purchased from john,, i purchased a seperate 48v 12.5 amp power supply from john and split the power supply as follows

z motor is on 7.5 solely
x/y are on 12.5

all went extremly well and the drivers are really smooth!!!!

see video

YouTube - them grapes!!

i am running some carvings that are large and are 29 hour long the drivers are cool and the files are really beautiful. i will be replacin the motors after i finish these carves, and on return from the IWF show in atlanta this comming week.

CAMaster cnc uses johns 7220 powersupply for thier commercial units and i have one of those as well i also have kelings new 8078 drivers (more than you'll ever need) and so far other than the obviuos further technology of the gecko drive thewre is no difference in the output quality

jim mcgrew
www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

cabnet636
08-16-2008, 09:36 AM
i will be at the shop today and will post a photo of my finished box, the box you see bellow with the 7220 power supply is camaster on a friend of mine machine!!

jim

turbostang
08-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Sorry, I just noticed these replies, for some reason I didn't get the email notifications of the responses.

Excellent info!

I was supposed to call John the other day, but I got tied up and didnt' have the time. I'll probably be contacting him this week to get a controller lined up and ready to go.

cabnet636
08-17-2008, 10:21 PM
took some photos of finished box will post tommorrow

gettin ready for iwf in atlanta this week and will be meeting john there

yhe box below went out this week from camaster to fla with a happy camaster owner, johns power supplies are used here

Crevice Reamer
08-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi turbostang!

The formula for best (max) power to a stepper motor is 32 times the square root of the inductance.

Assuming that you are going to run the motor wired in Bipolar Parallel, that motor could handle up to a 58 volt power supply.

CR.

automationtechinc
08-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Great job!!!
www.kelinginc.net

i recently bought kelings stepper box with the 6050 drives 48v 7.6 amp, after speaking to john i believe he upped the power supply to the 12.5 amp.

i was retrofitting to a wincnc controller so i took the box apart and put all components in a larger nema enclosure canned the 25 pin breakout board and used my 37 pin breakout board as required for win cnc, further i am going to up grade the 200oz anaheim motors to the 960 that i have purchased from john,, i purchased a seperate 48v 12.5 amp power supply from john and split the power supply as follows

z motor is on 7.5 solely
x/y are on 12.5

all went extremly well and the drivers are really smooth!!!!

see video

YouTube - them grapes!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8i6ptjGhQg)

i am running some carvings that are large and are 29 hour long the drivers are cool and the files are really beautiful. i will be replacin the motors after i finish these carves, and on return from the IWF show in atlanta this comming week.

CAMaster cnc uses johns 7220 powersupply for thier commercial units and i have one of those as well i also have kelings new 8078 drivers (more than you'll ever need) and so far other than the obviuos further technology of the gecko drive thewre is no difference in the output quality

jim mcgrew
www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

cabnet636
08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
kelings 960 oz motors running bipolar series 3.0 amps w/ 6050 drives

motors are silent and strong, only hear bit doin it's thing!!!

jim mcgrew

YouTube - columbia sailing club sail boat