PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 2HP Baldor Stanard-E + 2HP VFD issues

VooDooMan
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, so I been lurking here for some time reading and what not.
I recently landed a new free Baldor Standard E 3 ph motor to use with my grizzly mill ( on order now ).

Also just bought a 2HP single phase input 3 phase output VFD for a good price made by Bedford.

Any way, I been tinkering with it and testing it out, lots of options but one really confuses me.
Setup ( Motor = 4 pole 1740RPM 60hz 230V FLA = 5.6 amps 84% efficient )
Bedford VFD 2HP ( mostly original setup as manual, Other then sine wave carrier is at 15KHz - I don't think that effects any thing other then that annoying pitch I hear at slow speeds.

Ok so I start her up and run it to the RPm range of about 1500RPM or so......Grab the shaft with glove and clamp down, I can literally stop the motor, then it doesn't want to come back up to speed, Is this motor not capable of being fed by a VFD?
I have the VFD setting on constant torque, but I am wondering what is going on exactly.......I know know much about VFD's so if some one takes a peek through the PDF and suggests some settings I am all yours!

I bought 2 VFD's to go onto my lathe and mill, basically both motors are identical, other then the FLA, one is 5.6 the other is 6, So I would really like this working.

Mind you I wont be turning the Hz down so far for the torque to be non existent, since the mill and lathe both have belt or gear adjustments - So if I want to run fast Ill put then mill or lathe down into the basement for RPM on the machine, then fine tune with the VFD........Right?

Thanks every one!

machinejack
08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Have you set the peramiters for the motor yet?

VooDooMan
08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
well Yes and no, I assume you mean F 8 9 and 10?
I left that at stock other then the hz, from 50 to 60.

Any recommendations?

Al_The_Man
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Was there any code on the display?
I would think if you went into current limit, it should have given a fault code.
Al.

r.r.mccoy
08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Is this the reason the motor was free?

VooDooMan
08-08-2008, 01:19 AM
No the motor was free ( it was surplus we didnt need, still wrapped in the baldor box and shrink rap.

Umm there is an option for F-11 motor pole pairs, its default is 2, Does it mean 2 pairs of 2 or just pairs?
In that case I should set it to 4 no?
since its 4 poles........

Also how does this DC injection thingy work?
Also what is this slip compensation and how do I work it?
LOL I am such a newbie!

Thanks guys

VooDooMan
08-08-2008, 01:49 AM
bahhh problem solved.........I connected the wires to the motor side not the the line side. She turns with SERIOUS troque now!

OK technical questions
Slip compensation
DC injection start and stop
voltage boost ( % max output voltage )
Carrier wave selection ( KHz)

And any thing else the PDF might have for me thats useful, Thanks!

VooDooMan
11-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Any body know how to correctly hook up a VFD, What size breaker is needed and any thing special to ground or insulate ?!

Thanks

Al_The_Man
11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Do you have the manual with the VFD? it should tell you how to hook up the 1 phase in, usually on the R & S terminals if it has R,S,T. You mentioned already it is a 1 ph input.
The 3 phases to the motor are usually labeled U,V&W.
These 3 conductors should be twisted together and wired with no interruption directly to the motor, a suitable ground conductor should go from the service ground to the VFD and then to the motor frame.
A 15amp breaker should be ample.
The rest is parameter setup and I/O wiring, which depends on how you intend controlling it, i.e. manually or by CNC input etc. This you would have to refer to the manual.
Also, if the unit is capable of self tuning to the motor, this should be done also, for maximum performance.
Al.

VooDooMan
11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey Al, Thanks a bunch for the reply!
Ok I am fallowing your information to the T, I got the basic idea I just wanted to confirm thats all.........My user manual does show ground, but there is no dedicated pin or screw terminal for it, these damn chinese!
http://members.shaw.ca/H2O2/images/B...r%20manual.pdf is the manual.

Any way I will twist the VFD to motor wires together and run a ground from my sub panel to my VFD then to my motor, if I can figure out where to wire my ground wire?!

Also checking the name plate and VFD specs, nothing should really exceed 7 amps,
Would a 10 amp breaker suffice, I have 1 kicking around and thought I could save some $ by using the 10 amp, what do you think?!

Thanks Al

Al_The_Man
11-16-2008, 01:29 PM
That link did not work, It is odd that the VFD does not have a ground terminal.
You can use the 10amp breaker, with a VFD the normal motor inrush is eliminated so it should work out, if you get nuisance tripping, you can always up it later.
Al.

VooDooMan
11-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey thanks for clearing that up for me.
Try this link,

h**p://members.shaw.ca/H2O2/images/B801%20Bedford%20user%20manual.pdf
Let me know - thanks Al

Al_The_Man
11-16-2008, 03:14 PM
It shows a Ground terminal PE close to the UVW terminals, normally the ground is important as most will detect a ground on the motor and shut the VFD off if it has this connected.
Al.

VooDooMan
11-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey Al, yea the PE terminal is what i see on the book my self. But I sure as hell don't see it here on my VFD........R S T U V W is all I got to work with, no other connections, This bugs me quite a bit!

Thanks