PDA

View Full Version : CNC Darren's worklog

CNC Darren
09-27-2004, 02:23 PM
With the help of you guys i'm finally getting everything together. Was over at a friends house last night and he gave me this computer case, should work like I want and be able to fit everything inside it. :)

Spent a few Hours today cutting up the MDF at my dads custom woodworking shop. He seemed kinda interested in it and was asking anout building a 4'X4' table if i get mine all set up and working. He runs a small custom woodshop for a hom biz: http://www.albertswoodworking.com/ the site is still pretty new.

Darren :cool:

CNC Darren
10-03-2004, 03:08 AM
My router is going to built from JGRO's plans, I was going to midify it and make it larger but in the end i decided to go with the original size. Here are most of the parts all cut out and ready to have the holes drilled

CNC Darren
10-03-2004, 03:13 AM
I got my driver board and stepper motors :banana: I went with the Hobby cnc 3 axis chopper driver kit. It goes together very fast, had it all soldered up in about an hour and a half. It sure went together easier than I thought it would.

CNC Darren
10-03-2004, 03:18 AM
ok, ok, I know its a sin to spin the motors before the machine is done, but I have wanted to do a project like this for so long I couldnt resist :D I tried a few DXF files I drew up in Turbocad and imported them into KellyCam. I have Mach 2 also but havent tried it yet, still learning this part.

CNC Darren
10-03-2004, 03:28 AM
While this doesnt aply to my project, thought you guys might like to see it. This is what happens when your boss tell you to go play with a 3000 watt Trumpf laser. This was a freebie program that was on the machine, the larger eagle is cut from a full 4x8 sheet of .125 aluminum and the smaller one is cut from 410 stainless and is about .030 thick. After the general manager saw the smaller eagle from then on any customer that came thru the plant got one, MAN did we get tired of putting thoes together!! Sadly I no longer work there as the plant was shutdown, I could really use access to that laser again.

Darren :cool:

CNC Darren
10-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Well, busy day today! Its kinda nice to see the pile of parts going together then all of the sudden it starts to look like something. Next I need to get my pipe, I will be pipe with a brushed nickel finish from the celing fan department at Menards as I like the looks much betterand feels smother. I have to get bearings too, i'll take a look around localy or go to ebay where I see them all the time. I have to say tho that that gantry feels heavy and its hard to belive that the pipe will support it but I have an idea to counter the weight.

Darren

CNC Darren
10-04-2004, 12:24 AM
one more, it actually looks like something :)

JGRO if ya see this, thanks for the free plans they are great :cheers:

Darren

jgro
10-04-2004, 12:38 PM
WOW! That looks familiar :)

jgro

cncadmin
10-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Looking good, keep it up. What kinda things to you plan on cutting and making with you're router?

CNC Darren
10-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Mostly model airplane parts, I hate cutting out wing ribs. I would like to do some 3D carved signs but I havent looked into how to go about the 3D stuff yet, just the 2.5D cutting. Since my dad operates a woorworking biz he was asking about cnc carved drawer pulls again a 3D thing.

CNC Darren
10-13-2004, 10:31 PM
the latest update, all the wood work is done. Most of it is primed. I went ahead and put a 1/4" radius on all of the gantry parts to make it look nice. :) Just have to get the gas pipe and some screws. The bearings I got for free(not in the pics) my brother works for a copier repair company and it seems that the 8X22X7mm bearings are quite common in SHARP copiers. They may be in other brands to but not sure. We went over to his work last night and they had 25 copiers that were leased units ready to go to the dumpster so we stripped them. Tons of computer fans, all 24v tho and around 20 bearings of the size I wanted we quit pulling them out when we had 75 of them lol. Lots of timing belts and pullies too. If you have any copier repair places around they may be willing to let you come in and pull off what you want, just less that goes in the landfills. On to the pics..........

buscht
10-14-2004, 09:20 AM
CNC Darren,
Thanks for the pictures, looks great!
Making the CNC carved drawer pulls is a great application for your machine.
It's a little different doing 3Dwork, but not that bad once you get into it.
Here's how I do it.
1. Make a real life actual size model, either clay or handcarved.
2. Scan it, or pay someone to scan in the model into 3D. I have payed people to scan my models, $25 to $100. But know I have my own Roland 3D scanner, so I do my own.
3. Run the model through MESHCAM to get the CNC program.
4. Cut on your router using a 1/8" ball nose end mill. You need this small size to get decent detail.

Things to consider; are that you can't do undercuts very well with a vertical router bit. Usually that's not a problem if you take that into account when designing the part.

You need to do 2 steps in routing to cut the design, then cut the back. Actually, cutting the back first would probably be best. Then make a holding fixture and cut the design on the front of the part.

If you have good CAD skills you can design the part entirely in CAD and skip the scanning steps. But I never had any luck other than simple designs.

The down side to the whole thing is that an elaborate 3D drawer pull will take about 2 to 3 hours of router cutting time. This is at about 30" per minute with a very small stepover .008". You won't be able to make thousands, but a kitchen or two is very feasible.
Good luck and have fun.
Trent

CNC Darren
10-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info buscht, the drawer pulls would be low volume thing probably made as needed thing for each job he would do mabye 25 to 30 at a time.

jgro
10-14-2004, 12:13 PM
I see that you added sides to the base, good idea. After you get everything assembled and set to square, you can put a piece of wood on the top surface of the base to totally enclose the gase pipes. All that would be left is an opening about 3/4" wide where the gantry slides back and forth. You could then add one of those brush-type door sweeps and keep the dust off your pipes altogether. Believe me, the dust gets everywhere. Hope this makes sense.

jgro

CNC Darren
10-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Thats the plan JGRO, actually the tops will be hinged on the sides so I can flip them open. Also not in the pic yet is a part that will get screwed to the side frames on the inside to eliminate any flex, 4" wide and running the length of the sideframe. There will be one bolt going thru the sideframe and into a hole drilled in the pipe to give the pipe support at the mid way point and a nut on the bolt to hold the pipe against the bearings, so there should be no diflection of the pipes. Hope that all made sense. Its getting to the point that I want it done faster than I can get the parts cut out lol. What do you guys suggest you use for wiring the stepper motors with? at first I thought some CAT5 network cable would work ok but thoes are some tiny wires in there.

I also got some 2" square aluminum tubing to support the table from underneith.

I may have a new table soon to, a place that my brother goes to work on thier copier has an older cnc table for cutting wood, with a router I assume. Well my brother was telling the owner of the shop about my little table and the owner told him that they were looking to get rid of it for cheap because it didnt work anymore. We dont know what is wrong with it but my brother said it looked like it could hold 4-4x8 sheets, I havent seen it so I dont know actual size but that is way to big for what i need but it might have some nice parts on it I could use, we'll see. I'm going over there to the shop on Monday

CNC Darren
10-18-2004, 05:45 PM
2 out of 3 isnt bad, got the gantry alive and moving last night. should be able to get the third going tonight.

mvaughn
10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Lookin great Darrin.

I'm impressed with the speed that you are building your machine.

CNC Darren
10-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Here are a few pics from tonight. Its ALIVE :banana:. still needs a few tweaks here and there but other than that it runs!

A BIG Thanks goes out to the group for all the help!!!

Darren :cheers:

The Wizard
10-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Looking good Darren! :)

I am building the same machine but I have shortend the table due to space restraints at this end. Hopefully I will get the MDF this weekend and can start on the woodworking. I have been spending my time making what parts I can in the meantime. You can follow my progress here......

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6244

Made but not photographed yet are the linear bearing brackets (I will get photos as soon as I get the nuts and bolts together). Tonight I started on the pipe adjuster blocks which I am making out of 3/4" nylon flat bar as I have some available.

Did you use just one bearing per leadscrew as per 'jgro's' design? I was planning on mounting a bearing at each end to fully support the LS and to eliminate lateral forces on the motor bearing. This means mounting the motors on brackets instead of directly to the frame but I think it might be worth it.

Larry

CNC Darren
10-20-2004, 06:21 PM
well 2 bearings support the lead screw oppsite of the motor but the motor taks the load on its side, however i machined my threaded rod so that there is no side to side forces on the the motor bearings. i'll post a few pics of how i did it soon. I'm gona do a little more testing tonight then it will all get torwn down for final primer and paint, still trying to decide on the color. The trumph laser we use to run was royal blue and off white and i thought it looked realy nice so i think i'm gona go that way

CNC Darren
10-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Tested a new power supply tonight, I was using a 12 volt power supply and the speeds were kinda slow. The new one in the pic ran all axis's fine (wasnt sure about the amp output) and has outputs of 25,40,12 and 5 along with some lower voltages. I have much better speed on 25v. If all goes well I may have 4-5 up for sale. Its built pretty heavy duty too, the entire back and side is a large aluminum heat sink.

Krashlnd
11-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Nice Build.
Where can I obtain a set of plans? I am building the CNC from hobbycnc. Not too sure I am gonna like it though? Last but not least. What extra parts did you have to get for the chopper board from hobbycnc?
Krash

Krashlnd
11-01-2004, 11:44 AM
How much $$ for the powersupplys that you intend to sell?
Krash

CNC Darren
11-02-2004, 03:13 PM
hi Krashlnd,
The chopper drive is from hobby cnc as a complete 3 axis driver and chopper on one board, I like it so far and no problems with it. The Machine I built is from Jgro's plans you can find in the downloads section here on the cnczone, great plans and very detailed! My maching has a few things changed on it but for the most part it is built to the plans. No price on the supplys yet, I want to do some more testing with it befor I sell any to make sure that they will work with no problems. They are used and pulled from working equipment but I would check them before any would ship. Specs so far are 15 amp on the 38v line and 15 amp on the 24v. I will be including a heavy duty cord with 15 amp plug, switch harnes and a 24V 80mm fan with them.

Krashlnd
11-02-2004, 11:07 PM
CNC DARREN. Sounds great. I am in need of a good chopper board 3 axis + steppers. On another note Please Pm Me when You have the Power supplys ready. Ill be the 1st Customer.. :cheers:
Krashlnd

Krashlnd
11-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Forgot to ask the main question. What are the specs on the power supply that you are useing on your CNC now. I do like the design of jgro that I had to scrap my building of HobbyCNC's plans and go with his. Just a guess how much $$ have you sunk into it so far -chopperboard and Comp?
Krashlnd

CNC Darren
11-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Well the computer I had laying around in pieces, its just a Pentium3 550. Something like this can usually be picked up pretty cheap. Dave has a combo 3 stepper motors and chopper drive for $133 with $15 for shipping on the hobbycnc site. If you have done any basic soldering before I dont think it would be a problem to put it together. The power supply I was using was a 12 volt 13.5 amp power supply I use for my chargers for my R/c airplanes so its kinda nice to get it back for that use. I'll let you know when I have some to sell.

Krashlnd
11-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Great. I am looking at chopper boards at the moment. I do believe that I am gonna buy HobbyCNC chopper drive + steppers for around $170. Should do what I want them to do. I have went ahead and stopped building HobbyCNC's Router. I printed out a set of the plans that you used. Gonna try to build this one.
Krashlnd

CNC Darren
11-04-2004, 01:12 AM
so far the design works really nice. Just a note, when your cutting up the MDf use the dimentions on the drawing itself not on the stock list as a few of them were oFf. I told Jgro about it but i'm not sure if he had a chance to change them yet.

in a few days i should have a 1 hp router on my, my dad had a spare laying around and donated it to the project. He is getting interested in it the more i progress on it. Except he wants larger, like 4x8 work area size for his woodworking biz.

Krashlnd
11-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Ill go through the plans and check them out. Man, I cant wait until I start building. Might be weekend before I cut the 1st piece. Dont you just love daytime jobs :rolleyes:
Krashlnd

CNC Darren
11-04-2004, 07:16 PM
yea.. I know all about working days, thats the reason I stay up till 11 every night lol
well I need to go cut the mounts for the new router :)

Darren

CNC Darren
11-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, with a large router on it it works sooo much better than a dremel. :) Since my last post it has been put into production over at my dads wood working shop cutting ovals out of 1/2" MDF for some signs we are making. In order to cut the sign blanks the machine had to be extended and now is using 60" long gas pipe. Here are some updated pics along with a pic of one of the completed signs we are making without the vinyl letters on it yet.

Darren

CNC Darren
11-18-2004, 11:23 PM
One more thing I wanted to make was a power supply/driver board enclosure to get them out of the dust. Drew this up in Rhino and got it cut tonight. looks like it should work pretty well.
So far this power supply has been running great i have 4 of them and all work fine so i may have a couple for sale very soon. Running the router for 5+ hours and the heatsink is hardly warm to the touch.

Darren

Krashlnd
11-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Looking good. Pm me when you have the Power Supplies ready. I have the plans for the cnc. Now I am getting parts.
Krashlnd

Mr.Chips
11-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Darren
Good looking and working machine with plenty of separation between the rails, this gives you more stability. Keep the pictures and updates coming.

And thanks for putting your picture in, it always makes the construction pictures more personal.

Hager

sp00k1e
11-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Ive been following this thread and decided to make my second machine following the plans, only as I live in the UK my material is 18mm not 3/4 so some of the dimensions are different. Therefore I built from the inside out.
I wish id seen your picture earlier to realise just how big this thing is going to be, I dont know wher it will fit :confused:
anyway this is where Ive got to even though it is just clamped together it looks really good and I had to share it. :)
Thankyou JGRO.

The Z axis is 18mm Birch ply and the rest is self coloured MDF that we are using for a project at work. It is denser and heavier than ordinary MDF but more importantly free :)

The stepper on the top isnt really small it is attached to CNC1 behind.
Paul

CNC Darren
11-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Rember the machine in the pictures above has been extended 12" to run that job so off the plans its not that big.

Darren

mrbaseball
12-31-2004, 03:50 PM
CNC Darren,

What size steppers are you using for your small router? are they the 80oz/in from hobbycnc?? What size are you using for your large router as well??

thanks

I'm getting ready to purchase my electronics and build one of these babies:)

CNC Darren
12-31-2004, 05:44 PM
On both large and small versions I used the 80oz/in motors. I put some 118ozin motors on the larger version just to try them, they were freebies I got out of a copier and wanted to see how well they would work. The 80oz/in ran it fin tho, speeds with the 80's were 20-25ipm max cutting and 75ipm transit speeds using 3/8-16 threaded rod. These speeds are with the Hobbycnc chopper board on 38 volts.

Have fun its amazing to see these things run. :)

CNC Darren

mrbaseball
01-15-2005, 11:02 PM
What did you use to compensate for backlash?? Did you use anti-backlash nuts? or is there somethingto combat this issue in the router design??

Thanks

CNC Darren
01-16-2005, 12:22 AM
I used 1" thick delrin and just tapped it the 3/8-16. When they were first tapped they were actually kinda tight on the threaded rod, after quite a bit of use they have gotten a little looser but I still cant detect any backlash altho i'm sure there is a small amount.

CNC Darren

stevec
01-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Darren,
Did you fasten the MDF together as the plans show using bolts and threading the wood. I am starting to build from the same plans and I tested the MDF using this method. Seems like the tap will strip out with not much pressure. Please advise

Steve

CNC Darren
01-20-2005, 09:20 PM
yep, i drilled and tapped the mdf. I know what you mean about stripping the threads, i thought it wouldnt work at first and did a few tests. The threads in the MDF are pretty strong but then again you dont need to thghten the bolts superman tight! The only thing I would change are the adjustment blocks for the pipes, 3/4" thick plastic or aluminum woult work better there mine have held up good but it could be stronger at thoes points. I did use a fer drops of blue locktite after all adjustmens were made to make sure they didnt move. I would have replaced mine by now but I have a design layed down for a 4X4' router that will apear as a new build log here soon. It will not use the pipes but will still be using the Roller blade bearings in a way havent seen here on the forum yet.

Darren

CNC Darren
01-20-2005, 09:22 PM
also when taping the mdf I used a cordless drill and just set the torque level very low to avoid stripping the threads

Darren

mvaughn
01-20-2005, 11:01 PM
It will not use the pipes but will still be using the Roller blade bearings in a way havent seen here on the forum yet.

Are you going to give us a little hint about your roller blade bearing idea?

CNC Darren
01-21-2005, 01:16 AM
I'll be posting a new log here in about a week. My new design isnt new by industrial means but I just havent seen it done here on the zone. Progress has been sped up some the last couple of weeks due to working 17+ hours overtime per week. The new design does make use of a metal lathe and mabye a mill to make the parts so it may not be to newbie frendly. I'm looking forward to getting this one going tho as it has been brewing in my head for the last few months going thru a few revisions. the gantry will still be wood but I have a line on some large aluminum square tubing I can get for free for the table frame. This one is going to take me alot longer due to the size but i'll have some photos soon.

Darern

stevec
01-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Darren, Thanks for you reply.

I will change the adjustment block material as you suggest. As for the MDF, I will tap and bolt the holes as the plans show then use wood glue on the joints for a final fit. Alot of the bolts on the plans call for 1" and some could go longer for extra hold, I would guess.

Thanks for the log of your build. Your text and photos helped me greatly in building this thing. Looking forward to seeing your new machine log

Steve

ger21
01-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Steve, I've heard that after tapping the mdf, suirt a little ca (crazy glue) glue in the holes, and it makes the threads a lot stronger. Let it dry before putting the screws in, though.

stevec
01-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Gerry,

Thanks for the tip.
I have some thin CA glue that I used for plane building. I will try it!

Steve

sp00k1e
01-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Darren or anyone, do you have any helpful hints about methods of adjusting the rails on the machine, or is it just trial and error. Whatever I do it seems like the rails are bent (there not, i've checked them on a flat table). If I get them tight at either end somewhere along the travel one or other bearing isn't rolling along with up to a 5mm gap from the rail, maybe the bearing holders are not parallel, but with the tools i've got this is going to be difficult to check. I havn't got the leadscrews mounted yet, just trying to get everything lined up, and I want to cut something
Thanks Paul

carlnpa
01-22-2005, 05:31 PM
I had the same type problem, 7 of 8 rollers would be in contact. Tighten one end, roll to other end and tighten, always 7 of 8. My bearings were dead on per the JGRO thread. I finally just made a slot in the oddball off roller and adjusted it individually. I thick the structure itself torques up when the linear bearing is attached.

stevec
02-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Darren,

I need advise on the chopper board settings from Hobbycnc that are running on my version of the jgro plan. I removed all the jumpers off the board so I guess I am in 1/2 step mode. Can you run these boards at full step and if so how? What mode and jumpers do you have setup? I am turning a 1/4x20 lead screw with the 80oz motors.

Thanks,
Steve

WP1
02-17-2005, 05:36 PM
I believe the recomendation of Dave Rigotti of HobbyCNC is to start with the 1/4 step mode and only deviate from that if you have problems such as vibration or the controller can't produce steps fast enough. Also the only options are 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 microstepping, there is no full step option.

You should probably join and review the posts on the Yahoo groups HobbyCNC forum which is the official HobbyCNC support forum (link to it from the HobbyCNC page).

mrbaseball
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
hi Krashlnd,
The chopper drive is from hobby cnc as a complete 3 axis driver and chopper on one board, I like it so far and no problems with it. The Machine I built is from Jgro's plans you can find in the downloads section here on the cnczone, great plans and very detailed! My maching has a few things changed on it but for the most part it is built to the plans. No price on the supplys yet, I want to do some more testing with it befor I sell any to make sure that they will work with no problems. They are used and pulled from working equipment but I would check them before any would ship. Specs so far are 15 amp on the 38v line and 15 amp on the 24v. I will be including a heavy duty cord with 15 amp plug, switch harnes and a 24V 80mm fan with them.
Darren,

I rec'd the power supply today, but no switch harness or fan. Did you discontinue the additona of these?? also do you have a diagram that tells where everything hooks up? i.e.- AC input, DC output??

Thanks,

Gene

JTKELLEY
12-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey there Darren and to all that might question the tapping of wood. As an R/C hobbiest, I have had to tap wing hold downs may times. If by chance you don't feel warm and fuzzy about the strength of wooden threads, try the following. Tap the hole first, then use "thin" Cyanoacrylate glue in the hole, then run the tap thru the hole again. The thin CA will have a "wicking" action and harden a penetrated depth of about 0.0625"-0.125". If you aren't careful though, you could very well glue the piece to your table top or even worse,,,,, your hands. In such a case, the use of acetone will be in order. Otherwise you can do your tapping procedure after you paint and finish the MDF, which allows for the use of vasaline to prohibit the spread of the glue to the outer surface of the part. This vasaline should of course be place on any surface that you do not want the glue to affect. I hope this helps!!

Jason

latif
06-04-2007, 02:28 PM
pls email us the master plan digram we need to build
thank you

klg100@yahoo.com

latif
06-04-2007, 03:12 PM
where can i get the digram catalouge for wood table cnc

klg100@yahoo.com

joecnc2006
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
You are aware that the last post prior to yours was december of 2005?

And Darrens last post was Jan. of 2005?

So you may not get a responce to your questions.

joe

mvaughn
06-04-2007, 06:39 PM
If you are looking for plans for the JGRO router you can find them here

http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=24

Khalid
04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
hello daren...where r u? n what bout ur 4 x 4 machine?