PDA

View Full Version : Two part controller question....

REVCAM_Bob
07-18-2008, 07:43 AM
I have worked with Galil motion control cards in the past for 2 axis servo control...

Cost being about $900 for the card $300 for a break-out box, and another
$75 for the interconnect cable...net about $1300 for a 2 zxis setup (+ amp's of coarse)

Just wondering how this stacks up against other systems in terms of cost,
but welcome other comments as well!

Also, I have a new project in which I do not need motion control so much as
just i/o i.e. read prox. switches and turn some valves on and off. I am considering the galil rio unit which will do this for about $400 with a break out board, and it uses the same programing interface that I have learned with their motion control boards....

Is this a decent way to go or should I be looking at other avenues?

Thanks!

Al_The_Man
07-18-2008, 09:35 AM
It sounds like you need a PLC rather than a motion card, unless a servo is involved.
There are also PLC type very small units called programmable relays that require no software or programmer, the same units are marketed under several labels.
Siemens, Idec, Omron etc.
http://www.bb-elec.com/product_multi_family.asp?MultiFamilyId=39
They have limited I/O and timers latches etc and small instruction set.
BTW there is a very cheap way to implement simple machine control using some legacy Galil boards that are cheap in ebay.
It is not quite as fancy as some of the G code commercial systems for these boards, but very adequate in a lot of cases.
If you need more info. PM me.
Also with this project, do you need operator interface?
With a PLC, I use Maple Systems keypad/2 line display units, they will interface to most PLC and Galil cards.
Al.

REVCAM_Bob
07-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Please tell me more about the legacy Galil cards!

Al_The_Man
07-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I have sent you a detailed PM.
this is what a couple of screens you can make up in minutes.
If you PM me an email address I can send the PDF Manual to look over if you wish.
Al.

18ajdcnc
08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi All. I have MN400E 4 axis controler run with masterturn pro , someone out there please help me find post processor for artcam.Thanks.