PDA

View Full Version : Question about applying coolant

HawainPand
09-25-2004, 08:59 AM
After spraying coolant on the copper block im planning to mill, how do I drain the coolant? Or will it just evaporate? The mill im using doesn?t have anything for coolant..so I guess I have to do everything manual

HawainPand
09-28-2004, 09:15 PM
does any one have any experience with this?

nervis1
10-15-2004, 01:33 AM
When I had a Rong Fu I just drained the coolant through the coolant drain hole and into a bucket via a small hose. Applied the coolant through a small aquarium pump / bucket and loc-line type nozzle. You can drill and tap a little hole in the side of the table if you don't have one. If you don't have coolant channels in your table then you are going to have a mess on your hands no matter what you do.

You could use one of those mist systems like triflo has, supposed to pretty much use up the coolant in the heat of the cut. You'll need a shop air supply for that I think.

HuFlungDung
10-15-2004, 01:55 AM
If your machine is small and easy to move, acquire some kind of a large drain pan to set the machine on. Even on a regular knee-type milling machine, the coolant trickles everywhere and wants to drip on the floor. What I did, was have a sheet metal shop make a pan for it, which I then sandwiched between the knee screw pillar and the base of the machine.

DareBee
10-15-2004, 07:47 AM
I suppose it is obvious as well that a larger pan can be made and the whole machine can be set in it on the floor. I dont recomend this for smaller machines as the pan will get slippery and machine can walk around if being worked hard.

kenlambert
10-15-2004, 08:47 AM
here is what i did .There is more pics on my sight ,on the smithy 3n1 i got an engine transmission tear down table from harbor freight for 89.00 and added a good set of wheels so i can move it around . Both machines have flood coolant and self contained no mess on the floor or anything

HawainPand
10-16-2004, 11:02 PM
awsome...im gonna do just that except im gonna use some vinyl sheets and use a small computer water cooling pump ;D
thx!