PDA

View Full Version : madcam updates

Sky Blue
07-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi All
I'm using Rhino3 and Madcam3 at work. Are there any updates/patchs for madcam?
One annoying thing is, if you have for example 3 pockets to machine, you draw a box round the first one click boundary and choose machining Z level, then you select the second pocket, click boundary and choose Z level it complains that theres a problem with clipping planes. If you select Z level again it works.

Can't get our boss to part with any money for updates.

Cheers
Sky Blue

xlr8tr@mac.c
07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Have you checked the latest version on the MadCam download page here;

http://www.madcamcnc.com/download_page.asp

It's a shame your boss won't let you update as MadCam 4 is excellent - it has the same familiar feel but much improved functionality, Plus Joakims legendary support of course.

dgoddard
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm using MadCam4 and really like it except for one drawback. For feeds in ipm MadCam will only ouput whole numbers. If my speed/feed calls for say, 3.4 ipm, it will output G-code as 3 ipm. I either run at 3 or have to go in and edit G-code program to change from 3 to 3.4 ipm. Would like to see ability added to MadCam to output x.x feeds. Otherwise, like program.

dgoddard
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
What is status of adding ability to input/output less than whole IPM feeds into MadCam? Having to edit code to input correct feeds.

turmite
12-06-2009, 10:16 PM
What is status of adding ability to input/output less than whole IPM feeds into MadCam? Having to edit code to input correct feeds.

dgoddard I remember you bringing this up once before and had forgotton about it. Can you please explain why you need a fractional feedrate? I will try to explain why I ask this question.

If you are running your part say at 50 ipm what difference would 49.5 make? Now if you are running at 5ipm I possibly could understand, but am not sure even at that it would make a difference.

Please understand, I am not questioning your need, nor your request. I am trying to understand why it will make a difference.

Mike

turmite
12-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Sky Blue,

Why are you selecting a boundry around a pocket? It has been a long time since I used V3, but if I remember, you can select the first pocket via the edge curves at the bottom of the pocket, select 2d and it will only cut the pocket, right click, select the next pocket's curves and hit enter and you will then have the second set of tool paths. Same for the third.

Would you try this for me and let me know if it works?

I normally create a set of curves from the edge, set the direction take the measurements and then do all the pockets.

Mike

Hi All
I'm using Rhino3 and Madcam3 at work. Are there any updates/patchs for madcam?
One annoying thing is, if you have for example 3 pockets to machine, you draw a box round the first one click boundary and choose machining Z level, then you select the second pocket, click boundary and choose Z level it complains that theres a problem with clipping planes. If you select Z level again it works.

Can't get our boss to part with any money for updates.

Cheers
Sky Blue

turmite
12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm going to call you Mr. Morgan because I am sure I will screw up your users name!:D

I just went to your site. Beautiful work. I am just now beginning to make guitars and am truly inspired by the instruments I saw on your site. Any hints, suggestions or top secret secrets would be greatly appreciated!:D

Mike

Have you checked the latest version on the MadCam download page here;

http://www.madcamcnc.com/download_page.asp

It's a shame your boss won't let you update as MadCam 4 is excellent - it has the same familiar feel but much improved functionality, Plus Joakims legendary support of course.

dgoddard
12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
dgoddard I remember you bringing this up once before and had forgotton about it. Can you please explain why you need a fractional feedrate? I will try to explain why I ask this question.

If you are running your part say at 50 ipm what difference would 49.5 make? Now if you are running at 5ipm I possibly could understand, but am not sure even at that it would make a difference.

Please understand, I am not questioning your need, nor your request. I am trying to understand why it will make a difference.

Mike

Mike, real simple - you don't mill steel at 50ipm. Depending on endmill size and hardness of material I normally mill between 2 and 6 ipm. If feed calls for 2.7 and MadCam rounds down to 2 the difference is a 25% difference. When running a long job the time difference is noticable. I either have to edit feed rate or adjust rpm. Not efficient. I also do multiple operations with different tools each with a different feed rate. I now have to edit the file to correct each one. Know it is not a big deal for those who machine in metric but for those in inches it is a real pain. This would be a "good" mod for us inch users.

turmite
12-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Mike, real simple - you don't mill steel at 50ipm. Depending on endmill size and hardness of material I normally mill between 2 and 6 ipm. If feed calls for 2.7 and MadCam rounds down to 2 the difference is a 25% difference. When running a long job the time difference is noticable. I either have to edit feed rate or adjust rpm. Not efficient. I also do multiple operations with different tools each with a different feed rate. I now have to edit the file to correct each one. Know it is not a big deal for those who machine in metric but for those in inches it is a real pain. This would be a "good" mod for us inch users.

Well, you are right about the 50ipm in steel. Joakim's 5 axis mills it a about 1500 ipm. On the other hand, I read a post on a guitar builder's forum last night where I saw the guy posted his speeds for cutting abalone shell for inlays. 7.5ipm.

"If feed calls for 2.7 and MadCam rounds down to 2 the difference is a 25% difference."

Can you explain what you mean by the above statement? Who is calling for the feedrate? How are you arriving at the called for numbers?

BTW I talked with Joakim today and he said he would take a look at making this available.....I don't know when, or how long it will be, or for that matter, if it can be done with his alogrithems (sp).

Mike

Dan B
12-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi dgoddard,

For feeds that slow I have to assume one or more of the following:

1) the machine is fragile
2) the endmills are very small
3) your tooling is HSS not carbide
4) the steel is pre-hardened.

If some of these are true, then your feedrates make sense.

We run 1/8 endmills in 4140 (tool steel) at 12 ipm. That's a standard carbide endmill. If you use "extreme" endmills (high helix) you can run some pretty crazy feed rates. We use them occasionally for slotting steel, and with the proper type of path (like a trochoidal path for example) you can cut with a depth of cut equal to the Ø of the cutter at well over 100 ipm. Of course that's more like Ø3/8 endmills, not Ø1/8.

Anyway, have you ever thought of programming in metric? With metric feedrates you have way more versatility. For example, 2 ipm would be approximately 50mm/min. 2.7 ipm would be about 68mm/min. No decimals required. We have always used metric since all our customers (the automotive companies mainly, even the US ones) work in metric. Like the metric system in general, it's way easier than the imperial system.

Just a thought.

Dan

xlr8tr@mac.c
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm going to call you Mr. Morgan because I am sure I will screw up your users name!:D

I just went to your site. Beautiful work. I am just now beginning to make guitars and am truly inspired by the instruments I saw on your site. Any hints, suggestions or top secret secrets would be greatly appreciated!:D

Mike

Mike,

You have a PM

Neil

turmite
12-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Like the metric system in general, it's way easier than the imperial system.
Dan

Now Dan, that all depends if you started with metric or not!:wave: I personally can think if thousand's of an inch much quicker than I can in fractional or metric. Think yes, work no! I am slow regardless!!!

Mike

dgoddard
12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
4x80/.5=640rpm
640x4x.0015=3.84ipm
22% diff when trun'd to 3ipm
I'll just continue to edit code. Pain in the rear, but workable.

JOM
12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Hello dgoddard,

I will make sure that it will be possible to use x.x feed in next service release of madCAM 4.2

Joakim

dgoddard
12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Hello dgoddard,

I will make sure that it will be possible to use x.x feed in next service release of madCAM 4.2

Joakim

Thank you. It is much appreciated by me and I'm sure, other imperial users.

Dan B
12-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Hi Mike,

When I was young (high school age) Canada converted to the metric system. Some things were easy to adapt (driving in km/h instead of mph for example) and some other things not so easy. Living across the river from Detroit doesn't help because the news is always reporting temperatures in °F not °C so that one was a little slower to change. Linear distance is way easier in metric. When I do work around the house it's way easier to measure in metric. For example 500mm is easy to work with, 19 11/16 not so much.

My wife who was much younger when we converted struggles with inches and feet. When she went to university for her chemistry degrees everything was metric so she is metric through and through.

It is possible to work in the other system, but I agree it takes some effort at first.

Dan

turmite
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Mike,

For example 500mm is easy to work with, 19 11/16 not so much.

Dan

Dan, 19 11/16 is real easy. Just look on the tape for 19 then count 11 of those little marks!!!!:D:D:D

How is the new release working for you?

Mike

Dan B
12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Mike,

Not bad. I submitted my huge list to Joakim for the next service release. He's going to chip away at it item by item. The first thing is drilling, so hopefully we'll be able to use drill cycles soon, which means hole tapping.

If he is able to accomplish all the things we discussed (and I have no reason to think he can't) there is some great stuff coming. I'm pretty excited to get these things done so we can start talking about the simultaneous 5-axis. My head is bursting with ideas!! :)

Dan