PDA

View Full Version : New build, Joe 2006

Check twice!
06-30-2008, 05:26 PM
I received the Joe 2006 kit today. This has been in the works for a awhile and my son and I are looking forward to the build.

Before I start this build I would like to thank Joe for all his help in getting this kit to us in Canada, got to love customs. :)

This is a couple of photos af the kit, and we are hoping to start the build this weekend.

Have a great day!
John/Scott

PhillyCyberJoe
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey John/Scott,
Welcome to the "Joe's 2006 awesome DIY CNC" family! I hope you enjoy the build as much as I did and we look forward to your progress.

If you need any help along the way, just give a shout. I am certain that you will enjoy the fruits of your labor.

The "other" Joe

Khalid
07-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Let us see ur build... :)_

xploited
07-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Let us see ur build... :)_

No worries there, we take pictures of everything and will surely be posting here.

I'm also going to do a build log up on a wiki once were completed as from what I've seen these build threads can get pretty long and difficult to maneuver through.

It wouldn't hurt to have it in a more organized way once its all done, and I personally love wiki's.

Were starting assembly tonight and just need to source-out our pipe and acme threaded rod and order our driver kit (going with cnchobby's kit).

Life sure would be easier if McMaster shipped to Canada.. but hey, what can you do!

Expect some more pictures soon!

Scott

Check twice!
07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey John/Scott,
Welcome to the "Joe's 2006 awesome DIY CNC" family! I hope you enjoy the build as much as I did and we look forward to your progress.

If you need any help along the way, just give a shout. I am certain that you will enjoy the fruits of your labor.

The "other" Joe

Thanks Joe "Too" and thanks for the offer of help, I am sure somewhere my son and I will get into a dead lock, on how to solve a problem, and will be sure to post our question. It is always good to be able to talk with people that have been where we are now,,, starting. :)

Thanks John

CanSir
07-11-2008, 06:45 PM
How did you get the kit shipped and can I ask how much the shipping/brokerage fees/etc added up to in the end? I was all ready to buy a pre-cut kit from Joe, but I couldn't find a reasonably priced way to get a 98 lbs package shipped across the border. I've since purchased something else, but I'm sure other Canucks will come along that could benefit from the information.

xploited
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
We used FedEx ground and it came to 120. Expensive yes but reasonable when you consider DHL or USP.. and USPS just won't take packages that heavy.. which sucks because I use USPS to get things shipped here whenever possible.

As for import duties, they were low.. although were still waiting form the bill from fedex for the exact price. Its all in the paperwork.. which can be very confusing if you've never shipped internationally before.

Just ask us.. it took almost a month of confusion and a few trips to fedex for Joe before we finally got it to actually leave Texas. My favorite part was when they re-delivered it back to Joe's place and left it on his front porch and then tried to charge us the full price of shipping. Good times. I guess "require signature" is just a suggestion.

Needless to say... make sure you paperwork is in order!

CanSir
07-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been slapped with surprisingly high import duties from both UPS and Fedex so I hope your right about how much they end up charging you. When I get my little CNC machine up and running, I plan to cut all of the pieces to Joes 2006 kit that the machine is capable of cutting - then hit Joe up to see if he will put together a custom package with only the long pieces. Hopefully shipping will be under 70 lbs for the parts I need and I can just use USPS (the only reasonably priced US -> Canada carrier there is).

xploited
07-12-2008, 01:21 PM
The real problem with both Fedex and UPS isn't even so much the import duties as thats straight up across all the carriers and not really calculated by them.. Its the handling fees that they tack on which can be crazy. Its only a $5 handling fee at the most for USPS and a lot of the time its free(they must only select certain packages). I especially dislike UPS because there not even really up front on the cost, you just get a bill in the mail most of the time and from what I've seen inaccurate quotes.

Personally I try to avoid companies that only ship UPS. I just refuse to deal with them. While Fedex might be expensive they do at least seem to be upfront on costs (other they duties which they don't calculate).

The real advantage of either Fedex or UPS IMHO is largely speed (and in the kits case weight). They get things through customs real quick while USPS can take upwards of a week or two on certain items to get it through.

At least thats my thoughts on the matter!

CanSir
07-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't have called it import duties because you're right - that's a fixed rate and only applies to stuff not covered under NAFTA.

The carriers handling fees are ridiculous though. If something can't be shipped by USPS, then I don't buy it or I buy it from someone who is willing to ship via USPS. I made an exception to that this morning however. Allied Electronics is a Canadian company, but they warehouse their inventory in the U.S. as that's where the majority of their sales are made. The 5 pound transformer and pactec case that I bought is coming from Texas via Purolator, but Allied has a special arrangement with Purolator so it's customs cleared and shipped for $12 total. For that price I had to make an exception.

--

How's the build coming along? Don't be shy about posting pictures! I know we've all seen several examples of Joe's kits coming together in the past, but it helps to keep the enthusiasm up to see someone else progressing.

Check twice!
07-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Here are a few picks of our build, it seems a lot of labour and slow progress.I pick up our acme rod and nuts today, so should be ready to put the bed and gantry together.

Have a great day, and off to work.
John/Scott

joecnc2006
07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Great progress. I like the lathe setup for the pipes...

joe

CanSir
07-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the photo's. It does look like a lot of work, but it also looks like you are making great progress!

Check twice!
07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
We have finally finished all the pipes, we still need a little bit of 3/4" rod but that we will clean by hand.

Our Acme and nuts are on back order and should be in the beginning of next week. Why do they let you go all the way there to pick up your material to find it has been delayed, wasted trip, time and patience. Grrrr :(

A couple of photos showing the jig for the 36" pipe, and the finished pipe. Now to cut it to length. The next move is the slide bearings.

Have a great weekend

John/Scott

Check twice!
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Acme rod, failure to communicate.

I wait 2 weeks for my acme rod and nuts from Fastnel and find they ordered single start and I need 2 start acme. They now tell me they do not carry 2 start. I would have appreciated this knowledge 2 weeks ago. Oh well!

I need some suggestions for the acme rod and nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

xploited
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Were in Canada as well so McMasters is not really an option.. :/

boboxx
07-24-2008, 06:35 AM
I just ordered 3 rod from mcmaster and im in NB, this is my 3rd order from them. no problem getting it shipped....

How far are you guys from the border? If so you could have it shipped to the True Value in your area and go pick it up :c)

xploited
07-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I just ordered 3 rod from mcmaster and im in NB, this is my 3rd order from them. no problem getting it shipped....

How far are you guys from the border? If so you could have it shipped to the True Value in your area and go pick it up :c)

Were in Nova Scotia... so were pretty far from the border other then a boat to Maine (which isn't an option).

Not to disagree with you about their willingness to ship to Canada but McMaster just turned down our order. You must be one of the "long standing Canadian customers" they mentioned in there reply. Regardless there sure not willing to ship to us here.. and were not the only ones in Canada who have had this issue!

Were running out of options.. We found one place that seemed willing to ship to us, but at $179 (plus duties) per 6' length that seem slightly unreasonable when McMaster sells it for $55.

CanSir
07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Have you tried Roton ? They were mentioned as a supplier of ACME rods willing to ship to to Canada in a thread that you posted in under the Canadian Club forum awhile back. Under "ACME" rod, Roton only lists single start screws, but under "Hi-Lead" they list 1/2" x 10 TPI two start screws for $7.31 a foot. I don't know if there is a technical difference between the ACME brand and Hi-Lead brand, but all Roton does is supply "quality screws & nuts for power transmission" so it's definitely in the same category as ACME rod. I'd give them a call and see what they say.

xploited
07-30-2008, 12:40 AM
We actually managed to find someone reasonable priced that was willing to ship to Canada... not sure why we never tried earlier... but we used the place Joe actually suggests in the manual to get the rod at... lol.

Not sure why we never tried them.. but we were looking at the manual one day and was like... why haven't we tried them (I believe its eco-usa, or something to that effect).

Should have it by the end of the week!

CanSir
07-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Glad to hear the project is back on track!

Was that vendor use-enco? I didn't see any two start rod looking thu their catalog online, but since you already have some coming I didn't dig around as much as I otherwise might have.

Check twice!
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
CanSir

We are using what Joe originally stated in his plans 1 start. Hopefully with the 2 nut system this will work well enough for now. We could not waste any more time or energy on this problem at this time. When we build the 4x4 we will purchase the rod for it as well as the 2 start rod for this machine. We know the guys building it and they will give us free service to change it over. :)

We have some new photos for the work accomplished today. We managed to get the pipes cut, the ends for the bed and the gantry painted the first coat. The slide bearings are cut and most of the bearings are on.

Have a great evening
John/Scott

joecnc2006
08-01-2008, 08:52 AM
looks real good, you showed another example how to use jigs on making the parts, i.e. bearing slides.

looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Joe

richviper
08-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I too live in Canada and Brofasco has the Acme nuts and threaded rods.
They had them in stock and picked them up the same day.
Try them!
I originally purchased the 4x4 plans and started to build but then though I should build the original jgro design to learn and crash it first. I am midway through the build and hopefully this weekend will have it all together.
After the jgro version is complete I will use it to cut parts for the 2006 machine and then possibly build the 4x4 since it is the most expensive machine with the lead screws and v-groove bearings. I have friends at many suppliers so all parts have come either as samples or very cheaply.
I ordered the Hobby CNC 3 axis pro kit but I bought the 305oz-in kit. Is likely overkill for the first machine but will see what happens. Atleast if I use these steppers on the second version I won't have to buy a second kit????

joecnc2006
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I too live in Canada and Brofasco has the Acme nuts and threaded rods.
They had them in stock and picked them up the same day.
Try them!
I originally purchased the 4x4 plans and started to build but then though I should build the original jgro design to learn and crash it first. I am midway through the build and hopefully this weekend will have it all together.
After the jgro version is complete I will use it to cut parts for the 2006 machine and then possibly build the 4x4 since it is the most expensive machine with the lead screws and v-groove bearings. I have friends at many suppliers so all parts have come either as samples or very cheaply.
I ordered the Hobby CNC 3 axis pro kit but I bought the 305oz-in kit. Is likely overkill for the first machine but will see what happens. Atleast if I use these steppers on the second version I won't have to buy a second kit????

If you get the Hobby CNC pro kit make sure to get it so you will have room to add a 4th axis, for the 4x4 later on, I have several people using the Hobby CNC Pro kit on the 4x4 with great success. also look into the current reduction mod for it.

Here is an example of one Ernie did and works well for him, he has rapids over 300ipm on his 4x4.

Joe

Check twice!
08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Well another set back and a learning experience.

The slide bearings I did were not acurate enough and had to redo the steel ones with aluminum. The way the steel rounded at the 90 's made it very hard to get the proper measurement for the bearings. I did goof and a couple of the bearings were out about a 1/32ad of an inch, not good so I bit the bullet and did them all again out of the aluminum, them little puppies turned out great this time.

I have to stop this trying to reinvent the wheel. HAD I FOLLOWED the instructions and used the aluminum, I would not have wasted 4 1/2 hours, not to mention material.

I got all the holes in the HDPE drilled and tapped with the 1/4 - 20 tap. I think there was a million of them holes. I did progress today but did not get the the Y and Z axis put together,,,,,, tomorrow if things go good.

A couple of phots to show the different set up I chose this time, it seemed to work much better.

I have learned again, so a GOOD Day!

John

joecnc2006
08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
looks good, part of the fun is seeing it come together.

joe

Check twice!
08-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Richviper, may I ask the cost of the rod and nuts. Brofasco does not have a web site but do have a phone number. Do you have any more information on them, email etc.

Thanks
John

Check twice!
08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I did manage to put my gantry assembly together today as well started the table and shelving unit under the router. I had very liitle trouble and it came together without a snag. I have a few photos of the build and a couple of more jigs, to aide in the assembly.

Is that puppy ever heavy, and I am still trying to convince the better half to share the front room. Something about noise and saw dust, Oh my,,,, whine, whine, whine. :) :) I need a bigger shop! orrrrr, we put Scott's drums on the back poarch,,, works for me!:)

Hope you enjoy the photos.

John/Scott

joecnc2006
08-05-2008, 06:05 PM
John deere colors :)

Put the machine on rollers, you will not be sorry, I use to move the 2006 my myself, what a pain without help.

Joe

Check twice!
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Today was a great day, my acme rod came, I got the puppy together, with help from my shop buddy Scott. Actually things went together with very few snags and the progress can be seen. Scott and I managed a shop day with very few disagreements :argue: we both have good ideas and we both are opinionated. He keeps me thinking young. :) :) :)

Scott is not happy with the colours, I like the colour. Joe this is for your daughter I think she picked the colours for your first one, I am sure I read that on a post. I happen to like the colours. :) :)

I now have to get serious on the couplings, other set bearings, and motors. We have a computer and monitor but the programs are going to be costly. (Mach3 and Vcarve). Then the final kick is the router, Scott knows what we need there.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

John/Scott

CanSir
08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Scott's right and you're wrong. :D

I like the dark green that you painted the base, but green and yellow is.... ummm... horrendous? Yep - that's the word.

If it's parked in your shop though, you get to pick the color(s). The MDF is sealed and that's what counts.

Bertram
08-06-2008, 01:31 AM
You stick to your guns John. I was ragged mercilessly for my choice of colour for my Joes 4x4, but eventually people come around....

Check twice!
08-06-2008, 06:30 AM
CanSir

I wanted Joes main body to shine through and the colors are a favorite of mine for quite awhile, I will post a photo of my first thickness sander I built a couple of years ago....... OH my what pretty colors. :) :) :) I hope Scott does not see this.

Bertram,

I like the colors of your 4x4, I would choose them for my second thickness sander, but I could picture the fight between the colors. :) :) :) BTW a great job on your 4x4, that will be our second build, more punishment for us. :)

Thanks for the feed back, I do appreciate opinions. I am sure Bertram and I are on the cutting edge of a new fad for color choices for tools. :)

Have a great day

John/Scott

Gryphin
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
How sturdy is that table/leg system you have in the third pic of the 2006 up there? been pondering what type of table system I was going to build for mine once i get going. Yours look simple enough, but I think I'd personally add some crossbracing, since it feels like all the rocking stress would have to be braced by the machine itself, on top of it already dampening the gantry movement.

Check twice!
08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi gryphin

The leg ststem as it stands is quite sturdy"IF" we had no movement. I am personally going to reinforce it With braces, as well I am in the process of installing wheels for the movement in the shop.

There is a shelf system going in and possible drawers, if I get real spunky to build the drawers. I will be posting some photos of the wheels and shelf and further bracing tonight.

Thanks for asking and you are right, the way it is would not be good for the movement.

John/Scott

Gryphin
08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
ya, it looks like a solid framework to add to. I'm probably going to go the exact same route on my machine. I love these build logs, get to see 100 ways to do the same job, and a darwinistic creation of the "best" way to go about it.

Check twice!
08-17-2008, 07:02 AM
We have not posted for a few days and thought we would bring this build up to date.

With the full time job taking a lot of my time and Scott on nights for the last month, it has been trying, to say the least.

We did build the corner braces and got all the holes drilled for the motor mounts and bearings. The acme rods and nuts are here and, I picked up the love joy connectors on Friday. The motors are next. :) :)

It did take a little time to figure everything out but I feel we got a grip on our next step. I have changed the method of securing the acme and the anti backlash nuts but feel this will work, time will tell. :) I found the alternative way to mount these on a couple of the threads of other builds. I just love the build logs and most of all photos. i find some builds don't show a lot of photos and I feel one picture is worth a 1000 words.

The corner of the shop is now a permenant home for this puppy, and we will be building a portable work station for the unit.

Hope you enjoy, and have a great day.

John/Scott

Check twice!
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Well I guess it is about time I bring you up to date on our build. It has been quite an adventure getting to the point we are now.

We are in the process of buildind the CNChobby kit and coming along ok. Our two last purchases is a router and one more program. Wen will soon be making saw dust with it. :)

I am finding it hard to find information on the limit switch and home. My issue is, the way the home is handled. I see no thread on this part of the build, maybe someone could explain this or lead me in the right direction.

Thanks
John/Scott

ZipSnipe
10-03-2008, 09:19 AM
oops

ZipSnipe
10-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Usually home will be in the corner of your xy work table. You will designate where home is when you set up your software. Home is where your spindle will start from and return to. Nice build by the way. The green and yellow works if ya get ya a John Deer lawn tractor and park it next to it http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

joecnc2006
10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Looking at your pictures it looks like you have the motors enclosed in some fashion. Stepper tend to get pretty warm durring use when we feed 10x or more the rated value into them (which is normal for us). you may want to keep them exposed to ambiant air or add a fan to your housing to pass airflow over them.

Joe

Check twice!
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Looking at your pictures it looks like you have the motors enclosed in some fashion. Stepper tend to get pretty warm durring use when we feed 10x or more the rated value into them (which is normal for us). you may want to keep them exposed to ambiant air or add a fan to your housing to pass airflow over them.

Joe
Hi Joe and thanks for the caution. I have left the bottoms open and there is 1/2" around the motor, my question is "would that give it enough air?"

I have posted two photos of the gaurds. I could redesign with aluminium.

Thanks
John/Scott

Check twice!
10-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Usually home will be in the corner of your xy work table. You will designate where home is when you set up your software. Home is where your spindle will start from and return to. Nice build by the way. The green and yellow works if ya get ya a John Deer lawn tractor and park it next to it http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Snipe

Scott always says ask a specific question "Is there a physical switch for home? or is it all software controlled?"

I thought the colour matched my lawnmower :) :)

Thanks
John

joecnc2006
10-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Joe and thanks for the caution. I have left the bottoms open and there is 1/2" around the motor, my question is "would that give it enough air?"

I have posted two photos of the gaurds. I could redesign with aluminium.

Thanks
John/Scott

Well heat rises so may still give you some problems. Better to be safe than sorry, just add a small computer 12vdc fan to the ends of them maybe an 80mm, it would still look good.

Joe

Check twice!
10-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks Joe, a fan it is, :)

Scott finished the control box tonight and we will be wiring the motors tomorrow. With any luck we should be able to get it to move,,,, :) :)

The heat sink will be installed tomorrow, just picked up a 4/40 tap.

Chat soon
Scott/ John

Check twice!
10-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Well I did get some more done but the work schedule pretty hairy right now, and Scott working opposite to me. This is his last week for a couple of months, he goes on days,,,, so we should be much more productive.

We have had a bit of a problem and not getting any movement, but the motors do flash up. Scott is working on it, this is good, he feels it was a computer problem but won't get back around to it till the weekend (starts Thursday for him).

Right now it don't look pretty,,,,, I just wish I could say "it works good" :) We have temporary wiring everywhere. No limit switches yet, but will be installed and we will not be using homing switches.

Thanks Joe for the cooling suggestion, works great :)

A couple of photos as she stands, we get our router Friday,,, :)

lsalme
10-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I'd like to take a turn on that mower of yours, thats great. I also like your cnc build so far, it looks very robust.

xploited
10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Finally got it up an moving. I was referring to the parallel port incorrectly. Its a pci add on card... and its been near 4 years sense I've really used windows... Might I add I really really don't miss it!! If only there was a linux version of mach3! (yeah, I know about the linuxcnc project.. but everyone talks so highly of mach3!)

Still working on adjusting. Seems to be stalling at a lower speed then I was expecting on the X and Y axis.

Z axis I can easily get it up to a 70-80 velocity (8-10 accel) in mach3 without any issues (obviously because its the shortest axis) but the Y and X axis won't go much over 25 which seems a little slow to me.

We haven't really spent much time adjusting and we still have to check for squareness so I'm thinking our issue lays in there. From what I read as well we might have the barings a little lose so its time to tighten things down.

I also noticed that the xaxis kinda vibrates, much more then the z and y when you touch it. Almost feels like a washing machine in its rinse cycle... if that makes any sense to any one :) again, I'm assuming its related to our lack of adjustment... hopefully I'm right!

We will let you know how it goes.

FandZ
10-31-2008, 09:59 PM
John/Scott , I wanted to thank you for posting so many pictures of your build. It has helped me a lot in understanding the building of a CNC. I've been designing things in different cad programs for over two years now and pretty much dreaming about owning a cnc machine. It wasn't until a week ago that I stumbled across a website showing a DIY CNC build that I realized it was even possible to build your own. I thought it would be impossible to get the precession I'm looking for. Man was I ever wrong.

Past few days I've been digging through all my old designs and getting giddy like a little girl. I don't know what I'm going to start with first. I do know I have one more design to make first. One for my own CNC machine. lol

And thank you Joe for making your design available to people!

Thank you, Chris

PS. "Around my third day of research, My wife looked at me and said "We've lost you for about 6 months haven't we?" lol

xploited
11-02-2008, 09:38 AM
PS. "Around my third day of research, My wife looked at me and said "We've lost you for about 6 months haven't we?" lol

... at least 6 months! :) I read off and on about DIY cncing for almost 3 years before I dived in.. it can be an intimidating topic!

Its the combination of software, electronics and actual building of the machine that has it likely the most difficult project I've worked on to date.. Its been incredible rewarding.. sometimes frustrating enough to want to rip out hair... but (and I'm sure all would agree) highly addictive. Were already planning another one on a different design and we haven't even finished all the electronics on this one yet! :)

Also, we finally wrinkled out all the kinks we had and tracked down our Y-axis issue. While we did have some slight alignment issues they were not what was causing the binding. When we had received the motors one of them was to stiff to turn by hand and we never thought anything of it this being our first time with stepper motors.

After switching motors around on the X and Y and having it cause the Y axis to move smoothly at 140ipm while the X-axis which had been moving smoothly at 130ipm to bind at 20ibm. I researched a little and discovered the motor should be turnable by hand...and if not it was likely the motor was damaged so it ended up we actually had a bad motor!

Thankfully the Hobbycnc people were awesome and a new one is in the mail free of charge. Soon as its installed the machine will be fully up and running.

Home and limit switches are installed and working. I set it up so the -- limit is home on X and Y and ++ limit was the home on Z. I had an extra parallel port on the computer so I hooked everything up separately, aka not in series like mach3 suggests. This way you can tell what limit was actually tripped.. likely not important but can't hurt if we have the inputs. Also got our e-stop switch and charge pump but I'm still waiting for some other parts before I start putting that together.

I also attached some pictures below of our pen holder which we plan on using to test with before we actually get to cutting. We mount it to the lower bolt on the router holder. I'll let my father explain as he was the brains behind it.

P.S, Is there gcode or a cad file for the dust collector that goes onto the joe2006 cnc? I looked around but couldn't find anything.. just pictures of people who made it. figured it was a good first project!

Check twice!
11-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Since we finally found our Y axis issue and wasted a couple of weeks, we are still moving forward,,, this puppy will not win and seems to be testing us in the finest fashion. During that period we did do some up-grades

We wired each limit switch to it's own pin rather than in series.
We have the router speed control, PC board.
The motors are now wired with molex plugs to make inter-changing them easy.
Scott is ordering a paulse generator to allow us to control features with a group of variable resistors, and switches.
Mach3 has some great features built in and Scott wants to have a go at all of them he can.
We do need 3Dcut according to Scott it should make life a little easier for us.
I am going to install a cooling fan on Z axis motor, do they ever do a great job of cooling the motors,,,, cool is good
We have tied all the wiring together, added an emergency stop.

Slowly coming together but a few more items to go. :)

I built a Pen writer (some may call it a ploter) for the router,,, now you ask,,,, what,,,, Scott figured if we had a pen on a spring we could print out on paper our cut,,,, rather than waste prescious wood. So there is a photo of what I seen when Scott asked me about it (in his last post, "xploited"). He was pleased. It was a combination of different hole sizes and a spring, a couple of screws and a bracket.

This project has been in the head of Scott for a couple of years and dragged me with him,, :) :) It has been a pleasant build and a ton of learning, by the time this builds complete we will be looking forward to another kick at the can and make a aluminium/steel one. Takes me until 11:00 in the morning to catch up with Scott, and I get out of bed earlier than him :)

Motor due in middle of the week..... YES A couple of photos of the limit switches and wiring.

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

Sinkoumn
11-04-2008, 08:50 PM
^For what it's worth, I had the same issues with the limit switches, it is more hassle than what it's worth, so I decided to just leave them disconnected. As long as you're comfortable with your programming software there really shouldn't be a problem with the machine going out for a sunday stroll during a cut.

Check twice!
11-05-2008, 04:18 AM
^For what it's worth, I had the same issues with the limit switches, it is more hassle than what it's worth, so I decided to just leave them disconnected. As long as you're comfortable with your programming software there really shouldn't be a problem with the machine going out for a sunday stroll during a cut.

We did get our limit switches working and each one is on a pin of it's own. We chose not to run them in series, and after some diddling we did manage to get them to work.

We got our new stepper and we are at least drawing on paper,,,, :) :) Scott likes to build in as many features as he can into our build.

Thanks for your reply. Have a great day!
John

maglinvinn
01-11-2009, 02:28 PM
is that black pipe lathed down???

i'm currently tackling the project myself of making a 4 x 4 *plasma head corner to corner limits* machine and i'm choking on the price of linear bearing systems!

I've been trying to find a cost effective solution for my first machine, and the pictures early in this thread indicate a hand made power transmission way bar!

Please, please, respond. I'm on the verge of canning this project if i can't find a means to move my gantry.

Also, what did you use as your screws? i'm going to read this thread a bit more aggressively...

how much have you invested so far? break it down maybe? i don't need to know the cost of the kit so much (i have a friend in an automation cabinent shop who'll let me run his machine all day on a sat if i want to *grin*)

I appreciate any help here.

bkboggy
01-14-2009, 01:11 AM
If you get the Hobby CNC pro kit make sure to get it so you will have room to add a 4th axis, for the 4x4 later on, I have several people using the Hobby CNC Pro kit on the 4x4 with great success. also look into the current reduction mod for it.

Here is an example of one Ernie did and works well for him, he has rapids over 300ipm on his 4x4.

Joe

Why use 4 axis?

joecnc2006
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Why use 4 axis?

If you only use three, then the 4th just sits resident, but you can plan ahead and have it for a 4th axis i.e. lathe function, or even use it on another machine such as the 4x4 Hybrid which has dual leadscrews on the Y-Axis.

Joe

xploited
01-18-2009, 10:05 AM
So I think we've run into calibration issues. Anything we've cut is always out by a varying length, aka it doesn't seem linear.

We got a dial indicator this weekend so we could accurately tell how far the axis's were moving and I noticed something quite concerning (in my mind at least)

It seems to move differently in different parts of the table.

So at one end lets say it moves 1.005 when I ask it to move an inch (in the motor setup), if I move the gantry to the other end of the table (without re-caluculating, aka canceling out of the config) and repeat its been out as much as .3 (a lot!!!) of an inch, and it varries throughout the entire table, both in x and y axis. I haven't got to Z yet and x and y have been causing a lot of problems at this point but I'd assume the same.

This is kind of a big problem and I'm at a loss as to where to go. Everything seems to be aligned.. the test squares I've cut out all seems to have perfect 90's which confirms my thoughts on alignment just with completely improper lengths.

I'll list some possibilities I'm considering.. hopefully you guys can help me narrow down or suggest some new approaches.

-- Cpu -> I'm using a p4 1.8ghz with 1gig ram so I don't think its the computer... but I did consider it.

-- 10 TPI single start lead screw from Fastnal -> maybe the leadscrew is no good? it appears straight and the threads look good to me

-- Alignment issue?? -> I don't think this is it... but I guess its possible so needs to be in the list.

-- Controller/Motor issue?? -> very low of the list of probabilities, however one of the motors I got originally didn't work so I can't discount the possibility or other components of the controller having issues.

-- Missing steps?? -> I'm not sure how to verify if your missing steps so information into that would be great.

If you can add to this list, by all means, please do..

I tried changing around the microstepping and settled on 1/4, although there were no apparent changes on any of the settings. Motors set for between 8000-8200 steps per inch (10 TPI single start thread). I've been using v-carve for toolpath generation and have tried saving as just the generic .tap file and specific mach3 arcs files, none of which changed anything.

Like I said, I'm at a loss.. Were planning on upgrading the leadscrew very soon but I'd really like to hammer out any issues (at least get it within a .010 over the entire table) before we do so.

Any help would be much much much appreciated... We've come to far to fail now!!!

NIL8r
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I've been following your progress with much interest. Any updates?

As for your latest "issue"...
I would think that if you're missing steps, you could test by setting an indicator to zero and moving to another location. Then, move back to the original location. If your dropping steps, you would get a different reading on your indicator at the original location. I'm sure that there are other issues that could cause the same result. However, if you return to zero, than you're not dropping steps.

Just my $0.02

xploited
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the comment, I appreciate the reply!

As for an update. We "believe" we've figured out what the issue was but are waiting to be actually able to afford to fix it :)

We think that when we were taking the black off the poles we used for the rails we created dips and pits in the rails by using a file. Its really the only thing we can think of being possible. We checked and re-checked alignment, confirmed we weren't missing any steps.. everything.

I'm not entirely sure what were seeing could be caused by uneven poles but it seems like a decent jump of logic. Using a digital caliper some places on the rails are out quite a bit.

We should have new rails this coming weekend if all goes as plans and will defiantly post an update when we find out.