PDA

View Full Version : good flood coolant found.

nervis1
09-14-2004, 12:29 AM
I tried mobil sol oil, rotted in a couple weeks even with a skimmer and bubbler(dear God what a mess that was to clean out), hangsterfer, same story started out strong but after a couple months it got the rot, rustlick powerchip worked great no rot but.... ate my paint. I've been using synthetic lubricants inc. "universal plus" for a month or so. It's a full synthetic, rust protection, doesn't eat my paint, no smell, no rot, seems to work great. Oh and it's biodegradeable, non flamable, non-toxic and costs 71 bucks for a 5 gallon pail from KBC, thats 40$ cheaper than Hangsterfer.

Thought I'd pass it along to anyone looking to try a new lube / coolant.

kenlambert
09-14-2004, 12:58 AM
I have been useing auqa 600 fron grizzley 30.00 a gallon but a gallon will last me almost a year

Al_The_Man
09-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I've been using synthetic lubricants inc. "universal plus" for a month or so.

Do you cut that with water? Their web site does not say.
Al

nervis1
09-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Yep, it's a water mix 20-30:1.

Ken_Shea
09-14-2004, 05:49 PM
I had emailed them about the ratio before you replied Dave, actually their recommendation is even better.

The ratio for the Universal product depends on the process you are running.
The general range of all metalworking fluids are from 5-1 (5 parts water to
1 part coolant) to 30-1. The 5-1 could be used for heavy machining
operations, but I would recommend using a 10-1 for machining. If you are
grinding, I would recommend using a 25-1 dilution as you will need more
cooling than lubricating, water being the coolant. If you have more
questions please call me at 1-800-848-5823 My name is Tony Thank you
for choosing Synthetic Lubricants Inc for your lubricant needs.

nervis1
09-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Well that's what I get for asking the KBC rep.

I'm really happy with this stuff it works great, still looks brand new. I was soooo sick of cleaning that coolant tank out. What a messy PITA, especially with oil based coolant. Hopefully I won't have to empty that thing for a while.

Ken_Shea
09-14-2004, 09:53 PM
I am going to give it a go myself, say, aren't you supposed to be out in the garage making cool stuff?

nervis1
09-15-2004, 12:10 AM
I got something planned for this weekend, a little redesign of the AR reciever, made it a little more blocky looking, and added some slots through the sides of the mag well bay just for looks.

IndHobby
09-21-2004, 02:56 AM
I run Syn-Lube GM from the same guys, before going with it, I talked to the fluid designer for about an hour. Nice guy, great fluid.

HawainPand
10-02-2004, 11:06 PM
ooh, okey, im gonna try it too, just to make sure, itll work fine with copper correct?
and i have to mix it with water before using it...
thx!

nervis1
10-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Well I just wanna say I'm not trying to sell the stuff, just wanted to pass along something that I found worked as advertised. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you I think in that without someone here to hold my hand I just try this and that untill I stumble upon something that works.

It's a really good feeling when I finally get it right. This stuff is still fresh after two months in the AZ heat in my garage getting used only on the weekends. Another nice thing about syn lube over the sol-oil stuff is that I can see the part while it is being cut. I can also see the bottom of my sump, makes knowing when to clean it a bit more than guess work, like it used to be.

In terms of coolant care I also added a coalescer, and ditched the wheel skimmer. Works much better, keeps the coolant moving 24 / 7, and full of oxygen.

Konrad
10-03-2004, 06:45 PM
I still use the old cutwell 45 from Esso, does any of you, and are you still happy??

Well...think I'm ready for a change, I'm not too happy anymore, I feel the oil is just not the same anymore, or maybe it's just me?
What I feel like lately, the oil gets "bad" early, the water separates, and it looks like I have clear water coming after a few weeks and
things are starting to rost! Is there a good substitute, for the same price??
Konrad

DareBee
10-06-2004, 11:00 AM
I have tried the cutwell and found it goes stinky really quick and turned into sludge (from seperation I guess). I have also tried full synthetic (cant remember if it was Universal or not but was purchased through KBC) and found that my machines would turn to surface rust overnight. Went back to the "milk" looking coolants and have been very happy with Castrol superedge 6759. It will seperate a bit after a few weeks but topping up the tank makes it as good as new and it never stinks.

CNCPlastic
12-23-2004, 02:40 PM
I couldn't make up my mind between the universal plus or syn lube GM so I ordered some universal plus today mostly because its biodegradeable. How good is it on lubrication, does it feel slippery?

I was using Trico Tri-Cool 1 and it rotted on me with ugly bacteria colonies floating in my coolant tank.

nervis1
12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I have not had any problems with rust but then again I'm in AZ, it's pretty hard to get stuff to rust here. Lubricity is not near as good as a sol-oil but I am now running it at 15%. I think it's a better coolant than lubricator. It leaves a slightly gummy residue on everything, seems pretty good for rust protection. I still have that same batch in there, just top it off now and again.