PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! WIRING QUESTION

dcmetalwerks
06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Everyone. I am new this this site. I am hoping someone can help me. I just bought a ACER Ultima vertical milling machine. It is a 1998 Model # EVS-3VS serial number 08070803. My question is the person I bought it from said it could be run 220 single phase or 220 3 phase. He said it was last run 220 3 phase. I need to now if there is a wiring diagram that shows have to convert it to run 220 single phase. Thank you for any information you could give me.

KIMFAB
06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I would suppose that there are motors that are wired for 1 or 3 phase but this would be a specialty motor and I have never seen one on a machine like this. If the guy said it was wired three phase that is possibly what the motor is, however by saying it can be wired both ways makes me doubt the veracity of his statements. Single phase wiring is fairly easy but most places except in industrial areas do not have 3 phase. If it is 3 phase there are many converters available with a vfd probably being the most desirable. I can't seem to find anyone including the manufacturer willing to fess up as to the 1 or 3 phase. How many wires come out of the motor and are any of them tied together? (don't untie them) My guess is that the motor is single phase but the number of wires will probably indicate what it is.

dcmetalwerks
06-11-2008, 10:22 PM
the motor on the mill has four wires coming out of it. None of them are tied together. I had a guy at work give me a cedarberg phase converter to try and see if that would work. It is a static phase converter. I didn't know if it made a difference that it has a frequency drive on it. Thanks for all the help.

Al_The_Man
06-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Usually if the machine has a 3 phase spindle, it can possibly run on 1 ph or 3ph if a VFD is fitted.
You would have to do some wire tracing to see which two phases were hooked up when used in the 1 ph mode.
Al.

KIMFAB
06-14-2008, 01:31 PM
The explanation for the wiring is a bit more involved than can be explained here without lots of drawings and such. You can try here for some drawings.
http://www.patchn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=34
What you will need is a good ohmmeter capable of reading a low resistance in the range of an ohm or so to try to figure out the connections. With 4 wires I suspect you may have a single phase motor with 120 or 240 capability or it's a capacitor motor. Is there any identification or color on the wires? Anyway for a motor like this that has two windings it first must be determined what kind of motor this is. Measure the resistance between the leads carefully. If the resistance is the same for the two windings you have an induction motor and the two windings are wired in series for 240 and parallel for 120 however the windings must be phased properly or you will blow the breaker. If one winding is less than the other you have a capacitor motor and now you must figure the value of the cap. Look for identification of any kind and measure resistance lead to lead or go back to your seller and find out how it was wired.