PDA

View Full Version : Help with my cnc

mocnc
09-07-2004, 09:22 PM
First I would like to say hello to everyone here. I just recently got the cnc bug and started in this great hobby. I purchased some plans from a fellow name John C. K. It was his "pipe dream" The plans look great, but they use window channels for the "y" and "z" axis. Too bad for me that window channels are very difficult to get up here in Canada. He also states that it has a 1/64" accuracy but it could become better. I want to make it better, something in the area of 0.0005". I am switching from a dremel tool to a roto zip, that should help a bit. Of course price is always the issue with most ppl and it is kinda with me as well, so can any out there help me with this?? Any ideas on how to make my new "y & z" axis? I have been looking into linear sliders/railings/bearings, wow a nice price to some on these, even on ebay. Well any help would be great. You can email me at mario6628@yahoo.com and place cnc in the subject area or post it here

mocnc :drowning:

cncadmin
09-07-2004, 09:49 PM
I would re-think the rotozip, it doesn't have a bearing supported shaft, and will wobble a great deal with time. Check here too for stuff for sale- http://cnczone.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=6

jimbo
09-07-2004, 09:51 PM
0.0005 is waaaaaay too optimistic for a low budget machine esp for the jck plans. what are you making that needs this kind accuracy. set your sights a bit lower like .008 -.01. Build a machine to learn on then improve on it. I have gotten most of my parts off ebay.

cncadmin
09-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Here is a great site with a z axis build- http://www.angelfire.com/az2/proff/PaulJonesZAxis.html

mocnc
09-08-2004, 05:48 PM
thanks guys, the reason why I think I need it to be 0.0005 is for inlaying and for etching. Maybe my calculations are a bit off...maybe 0.008 would be enough...just not sure thats. I also hope to make a 4-axis so I can turn/cut pool cues. Has anyone use an air-dril? Are there any plans out there for a homemade cutting too?? Let me know what you all think.

mocnc

ps. it is finally nice to be someplace where ppl seem to be happy and egar to help someone new out! Thanks!!!!

HenryPel
09-10-2004, 11:31 AM
I also have a set of plans from John Kleinmeyer ( Phoenix)
which also requires window channel and did come across a
source here in Edmonton.
Try some of the industrial Glass shops and ask where they get their metal channel.
I increased my Y axis from the default 16 to 20 so my table cutting area changes from 9 1/2" to 12 1/2" with X Axis left @ 40"

Also Contact Howard @ Norva Plastics for the PVC & Delrin kits

Henry Pel