PDA

View Full Version : Taig X axis not working



soildruper
06-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Hello, first post here, I'm a newbie.

I have a Closed Loop Servo MicroMill DSLS 3000. I've been having success with rotation axis milling using DeskProto but recently ran into a snag.

I was running a 1/32" cutter and after 5 minutes of running the machine I got an emergency estop trigger. I was not cutting aggressively since it was the finishing pass and my speed was only 5 ipm. I was no where near the physical limits of the machine. I pushed go to z and I got another estop. Then I jogged the Z axis up away from the model and went to jog the x axis and estop triggered again.

Thiis where I am stuck. I cannot jog at all with the x axis but can with the other three axis. I did let the wax chips build up quite a bit, could they have jammed something up within the screw mech? I am able to turn the screw by hand so this leads me to believe the x axis is not physically stuck. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here.

So to recap everything jogs except for the x axis.


Any idea what this could be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vince

soildruper
06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
The input wire broke! I'll have them email me a new connector and it should be fixed.

I remember looking at this conncection when the mill came and thought it was kind of wimpy. I think I will add a piece firm wire encased in more heat shrink to firm up all the input connections.

Vince

awerby
06-01-2008, 04:51 PM
and see if the problem follows along. (Make sure to turn everything off first before disconnecting anything). If your X axis slides or motor have a physical problem, the X axis will still fault when you try to jog the axis you've substituted. If there's a problem with the driver or control cable, then the new axis will suddenly show a problem.

Usually, with the DSLS system, a "limit switch" error will be indicated on the screen when the encoders get out of sync with the commanded position(even though there are no actual limit switches); are you sure this is showing an E-stop being triggered instead?

It's not likely that the wax chips are the culprit; they are pretty benign, generally. But have you lubed the slides and screws with oil? That's essential for smooth operation. The speed wouldn't be the issue - 5 ipm is pretty slow for cutting wax. Have you tried adjusting the motor tuning? Was this a combined A/Z operation (in DeskProto, that's the "around A" strategy.) Mach seems to have a problem with those, especially in Constant Velocity mode. Large programs also trigger errors in Mach if the toolpath display is on; it bogs down trying to redraw the screen. Try turning that off in the Diagnostics tab.

If none of this works, call Taig on Monday and ask for Kurt - he's pretty good at troubleshooting over the phone.

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com







Hello, first post here, I'm a newbie.

I have a Closed Loop Servo MicroMill DSLS 3000. I've been having success with rotation axis milling using DeskProto but recently ran into a snag.

I was running a 1/32" cutter and after 5 minutes of running the machine I got an emergency estop trigger. I was not cutting aggressively since it was the finishing pass and my speed was only 5 ipm. I was no where near the physical limits of the machine. I pushed go to z and I got another estop. Then I jogged the Z axis up away from the model and went to jog the x axis and estop triggered again.

Thiis where I am stuck. I cannot jog at all with the x axis but can with the other three axis. I did let the wax chips build up quite a bit, could they have jammed something up within the screw mech? I am able to turn the screw by hand so this leads me to believe the x axis is not physically stuck. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here.

So to recap everything jogs except for the x axis.


Any idea what this could be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vince

soildruper
06-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I was wrong about the estop, it was in fact a limit switch being triggered. I swapped the wiring with X and Y, when I did that the Y stopped working and the X started working. After opening up the shrink tubing there was a broken wire, I guess all of the back and forth with the X axis just work hardened the soldered copper connection and it eventually broke. Hopefully adding some plastic under the Heat shrink tubing will fix the wire flexing issue.

All of my screws are well oiled with transmission oil. Thanks for the tip with turning toolpath display off on Mach 3, I have been running some pretty big programs.

I'm ordering a couple of extra connectors from Kurt tomorrow so next time this happens I won't have any down time.

Thanks for your time!
Vince