PDA

View Full Version : A "mini wobbler"

balsaman
09-05-2004, 09:23 PM
I am trying to make a half sized "double wobbler". First steam engine. I have always loved steam engines since I was a kid. Let's see how it will turn out...

Here are the cylinders. 1" long, .500 bore The stroke will be in the 1/2" range.

Eric

balsaman
09-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Pistons on the right with thier cylinders. Cranks and flywheel on the left. That's a quarter for size.

gdl357
09-06-2004, 06:11 PM
So cute.

Balsaman I want your engine when its finished, k (wedge)

balsaman
09-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Let's just see if it runs first...:)

Eric

JFettig
09-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Nice,

I wonder if Ill ever finish mine;)

Jon

balsaman
09-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Had a little more time last night.....

balsaman
09-10-2004, 11:19 PM
All done. It runs!

cncadmin
09-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Video video video :)

gdl357
09-11-2004, 02:33 PM
:cheers:

Great job. Tiny little thing.
I still need my 4 jaw chuck for my cylinders :violin:

balsaman
09-11-2004, 05:11 PM
If you make them round, then chuck them in your 3 jaw with a 1/8 shim between the cylinder and one jaw, you can machine them that way. Then you need a mill to make the flat.

I started square, clamped it in my 4 jaw, machined it round in such a way that one side stayed flat, then adjusted the 4 jaw to bore the hole off center. Worked great!

Eric

balsaman
09-12-2004, 03:03 PM
I googled "model steam engines" and I now feel totaly inadequate. Have a look at this guys projects:

http://users.eastlink.ca/~jbentley/models.html

gdl357
09-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Ok thats it, I'm selling my lathe. Its so discouraging to see stuff like that when here I am playing with my crude steam engine that looks babyish compared to his.

I will learn, soon. :wave:

ESjaavik
09-12-2004, 06:09 PM
What about this one then?

I took the picture at the Steam model exhibition in Sinsheim, Germany in January.
http://www.sjaavik.com/images/DSCN3090.JPG

It's 700Kbyte, so I just put the link here. It's best viewed in high resolution.
Sorry I don't remember the builder's name, but he's widely known for his steam models. I have pictures of a couple of other equally impressive machines made by him.
He probably also threw out his TV. ;)

Oh forgot to mention: It actually runs. He didn't try it on steam, but it ran on compressed air.

DLMACHINE
09-30-2005, 12:23 AM
I have zero steam experience so bare with me.

Balsaman, why did you bore cylinders off center? Just for mounting purposes?
You say it runs, on what? Are there any valves or ports in it?
Can you give a few more pics? Would you be willing to sell this model?
Or sketches of the parts. It looks like a simple one to start building.

Thanks for any info.

balsaman
11-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Off center for mounting purposes. The valving is done between the cyclinders and body. This is why it's called a wobbler. as the cylinder wobbles valving opens and closes. I won't sell it but see www.good-fellow.net for downloadable plans.

Eric

dannyboysd89
11-07-2005, 10:43 PM
If you look at the drawings for the cylinder there are 2 holes. I know that 1 is for pivot/attaching, what is the 2nd hole for?

Thanks,
Dan

balsaman
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
The second hole aligns with a matching hole in the frame (which is ported to the "steam") when the cylinder is tilted one way which is how the valving is done.

Eric

nick.gilling
05-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi Balsaman,

Your wobbler engine looks very similar to my first steam engine also. We call them oscillating engines here in the UK, they are much easier to make than a conventional slide valve engine as there are no valves like you say.

If you had a 4 jaw another way is to grip the cylinder sideways and face the flat on it. That's how i did it anyhow.

The only type of engines I have made are of this type actually. Never done a twin cylinder or a double acting one though. I assumed my skills had progressed enough that I would be able to make a slide valve steam engine and so I never bothered. Instead I took on amuch larger project, a 5" gauge saddle tank. I hardly got anything done on that before I went to university and after uni I never got back into the hobby until now. However, I am in the process of cleaning my garage out and getting the machinery back from my parents!

I see you have build a webster ic engine also, it is brilliant, did you have many problems with it? I have always wanted to build an ic engine. Started on a 0.8cc compression ignition engine as my first project before I had even done a steam engine and that went very wrong! They have to be so much more precise than steam engines!

I will post a pic up of a wobbler engine i made for a project at school tomorrow.

Regards

Nick

UK

mohan kharote
07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
All done. It runs!

Dear sir
My shop in Nashik (maharashtra ) India I have Folling machine with skilled operator i make this type Twin Vertical Wobbler for our indian costomar
but when i start my shop that time my ami is my small part has sell out of india
i hope you give me chance
my machine list
leath machine 15nos
milling machine 2nos
redill drill drill machine 1nos
hyd.haxsaw 1nos
air comporasor 1nos
grainding machine 1nos

i once request please send you inquiry & let us to serves you better quality and resonable price
Thanking You
Your turly
For S R ENTERPRISES

MOHAN KHAROTE
Cell no +919823505676
Email id srenterprises120@rediffmail.com