PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

sdrc92126
09-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I am new to machining and CNC. I have been reading much good information over the last few months and have been having a lot of fun on my lathe and am in the process of putting together a CNC mill to further my education. I just found this site this evening.

My question is are there are any internet repositories of downloadable G code?

My background is in software engineering where there exist sites most notably such as freshmeat.net where there exist tens of thousands of programs of every type in source code form where people can modify and enhance them to their own ends.

My idea was something like a collection of codes to make physical objects... down load code to make a new steam engine, transmission, ring, helicopter, airfoils, etc. Am I being too naive or simplistic?

Thanks for any response.

jim

sendkeys
09-02-2004, 01:45 AM
i have too only been around some time. But i have never seen anything like this. I know what you are talking about. As g-code changes from one controller to the next. It seams most things that are traded/given away seam to the dxf/3dmodels.

But if anyone has a link i would too like it :)

Moondog
09-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Welcome sdrc92126.

Some have psoted some G codes here on the zone but as far as I am aware there is no database of codes for parts etc. Part of the difficulty of codes is that they can't be used by everyone unless they have been written/generated for a particular machine. Certainly making DXF files available for users to put through their own programs would be excellent.

I think a collection of such is greatly needed. I for one would contribute items such as DXF's that I develop. CNCAdmin, when you read this maybe you could start a collection. For example we could have sections for Furniture parts, Signs, Mill work etc... As long as it is not a proprietory design.

This forum is definitley great for sharing ideas etc, so it could be a logical addition to the zone.

cheers

ynneb
09-02-2004, 03:11 AM
I have posted a few Gcodes for those who are desperate to cut something in a real hurry so as to test their machine.
The problem is that Gcode can vary to suit an individual machine. Is the machine driven in metric or imperial. What are the machines extremes. Its no good having a Z safe travel at 100mm if that machine Z can only move 50mm. The same goes for all axis.
Is the Gcode for a lathe? Is it for a mill? how many axis does the machine have? All these questions determine how Gcode is generated.

That is why Moondog was correct in advising to post DFX files and then the user can generate his own code for his own machine.