PDA

View Full Version : Problem no motor movement???

Hellbringer
05-11-2008, 11:09 PM
hi,
i just fnished building my cnc contorler and i hooked it up to a computer and i do not get any motor movemnt and i do not know why. i am using the keling 3 axis setup with 425oz stepper with the kl-4030 drivers.

i hooked up the wires the way the wireing diagram says to with some switches to be able to turn off the 5 volts and the 120 volts. (2 switches)

wires from the motors. there are 8 wires that come for the motors 2 wires go to each 4 connectors correct????? so it comes down to having 4 wires (B- you connect the green AND the black wire, B+ connect green/white AND black/white and so on) is that correct?????

i found another wiring diagram for the KL-4030 and it shows that instead of pulling the 5 volts from the 5 volt power pack it connects the wire to the COM port inbetween the motor pins ont he breakout board (ex pin order: pin 2 - com - pin 3) so this diagram has a wire from pin 2 to DIR CW- then COM to DIR CW+ and STEP CP+ then pin 3 to STEP CW-. which way should it be hooked up or does it matter?

as a computer controler i am using mach 3. i have set it up the way the video turtial says to on mach 3 website and they way the turtoial in the kelings website (they are the some) and still do not get movement. i dont know what i am doing wrong

the only question i have for the software side is in the ports and pins the all the way on the right it says step port and dir port and it going to be 1 correct because i am using port 1 in the port setup

thanks in advance
Mike

tauntdesigns
05-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Where is your bob getting it's power?
The bob has a jumper for the com to be either ground or +5v.
Do you have 5v going to the EN pin on the bob?

automationtechinc
05-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Check this document for Mach3 setting
http://www.kelinginc.net/Mach3Tutorial.doc
It may help you

Remember to click Sherline ½ Pulse mode

Crevice Reamer
05-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Mongkol
05-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi Mike,
I can help you.Pls see the wiring motor as attached file. I have some questions. Is your stepper motor unipolar or bipolar? 6 wires or 8 wires? 2 phase or not? 1.8 degrees or not?Pls informs your detail.If you want to ensure,Pls take a photo the wire of motor and the terminal of the driver.

I can help you
Mongkol

Mongkol
05-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Here's the diagram for wiring the motor.

Mongkol

automationtechinc
05-16-2008, 09:56 AM
did you get it running?

djmickyg
07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm having the same problem as this.. everything seems correct as the diagrams show.. the motors are getting power when i turn it all on as they lock and i cant turn them, but the estop isn't working and the motor's ain't turning..

i will have to try the Sherline ½ Pulse mode thingy..
I've been trying with EMC2 and mach3

EDIT: Figured it out.. my parallel cabel was no good. the pins were all crossed over.. got a new one and now it works!

GibbonsRock
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I have the exact same problem, except my cable has been proven on another board. That board had the opposite gender DB25 input, but I used a gender changer to connect my keling rig. Do gender changers flip pins? It was just a generic brand from Best Buy. Like, datex or something.

My motors lock, but won't move. I've doublechecked everything in the thread above, but that gender changer is the variable. I'd love to hear anyone's input.

Thanks! Jim

Mogal
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm having the same problem as this.. everything seems correct as the diagrams show.. the motors are getting power when i turn it all on as they lock and i cant turn them, but the estop isn't working and the motor's ain't turning..

i will have to try the Sherline ½ Pulse mode thingy..
I've been trying with EMC2 and mach3

EDIT: Figured it out.. my parallel cabel was no good. the pins were all crossed over.. got a new one and now it works!

Uhm, so your first cable was not Bi-Directional?
I think I may have the same problem... I'll get a new PP cable and try...

XboxMeister
10-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I just received my Keling package for the Super X3 yesterday and just have a simple question about the diagram you posted. My motors have 8 wires. From what I can tell from the diagram, you are supposed to take the Blu/Wht wire and the Wht/Red wire from the stepper motor and connect BOTH to the A+ terminal on the driver. Is that correct? And then both the Blue and Red wires go to the A- terminal. And so on...

In other words, I am supposed to be connecting two wires from the motor to the driver as indicated in the diagram to A+, A-, B+, B-, right?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Mike,
I can help you.Pls see the wiring motor as attached file. I have some questions. Is your stepper motor unipolar or bipolar? 6 wires or 8 wires? 2 phase or not? 1.8 degrees or not?Pls informs your detail.If you want to ensure,Pls take a photo the wire of motor and the terminal of the driver.

I can help you
Mongkol

Mongkol
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Follow this for 8 wires. ( parallel connections )
A+ : RED/BLUE
A- : YELLOW/BLACK
B+ : WHITE/BROWN
B- : GREEN/ORANGE
Jump +5vdc to CP+andCW+
STEP---CP-
Dir ---CW-

If you hook up this type, it's suitable with high torque

Hope this help
Mongkol

XboxMeister
10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks. My wire colors don't match your list below (I have 4 dual color wires and 4 solid color wires) but I think you've answered my question. You connect two wires to the A+, A-, ... terminals. In my case I will follow the colors that were in the previously posted diagram (which do match mine).

Thx

Follow this for 8 wires. ( parallel connections )
A+ : RED/BLUE
A- : YELLOW/BLACK
B+ : WHITE/BROWN
B- : GREEN/ORANGE
Jump +5vdc to CP+andCW+
STEP---CP-
Dir ---CW-

If you hook up this type, it's suitable with high torque

Hope this help
Mongkol

Mogal
10-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Maybe this can help? Its based on a C10 BOB and Kelings 4030 drivers...
I made this up to help ease the pain of pluggin everything in.

Maybe it can help you... and others....

XboxMeister
10-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes, exactly. That confirms what I thought about the connections.

Thanks!

Maybe this can help? Its based on a C10 BOB and Kelings 4030 drivers...
I made this up to help ease the pain of pluggin everything in.

Maybe it can help you... and others....

XboxMeister
10-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Motors won't turn. I've hooked up my Keling steppers for both X&Y axes to the KL-6050 drivers per the diagrams posted here and on the Keling site.

- Blue/White and White/Red connected to A+
- Blue and Red connected to A-
- Green/White and Black/White connected to B+
- Green and black wires connected to B-

BOB is jumpered to have 5V on common connections (not GND)

X Axis driver connections:
Step+ is wired to 5V (via common connection on BOB)
Dir+ is wired to 5V (via common connection on BOB)
Step- is connected to Output pin 2 on BOB
Dir- is connected to Ouput pin 3 on BOB

Y Axis driver connections:
Step+ is wired to 5V (via common connection on BOB)
Dir+ is wired to 5V (via common connection on BOB)
Step- is connected to Output pin 4 on BOB
Dir- is connected to Ouput pin 5 on BOB

Same assigments are made in MACH3 for the Step and Dir controls.

BOB is the C11G Rev 5.4
- 5V power LED is on
- Output enable LED is on
- Input pin 5 (EStop) LED is on (MACH3 indicates EStop isn't a problem)
- Output pins 1,4,14, 16 LEDs are on, all others off
- Board is jumpered to disable charge pump

Motors seem to power up and make a chirp-like sound when they do. Can't turn the shafts on them when they are on but they rotate by hand when they are off.

Pretty sure I have followed all the directions (including turning on the Sherline 1/2 pulse mode in MACH3) but when I go to the Motor Tuning dialog in MACH3 and move the sliders, no movement of the motors (directions say there should be).

Checked my cable from the computer and it has all 25 pins straight thru (no inverted connections, ...). I'm assuming this is the way it is supposed to be wired?

Any ideas? Any other way I can try to drive the motors to test this setup and figure out what what the issue is?

thx

XboxMeister

XboxMeister
10-04-2008, 11:11 PM
OK, so on a hunch I loaded a g-code file or two (roadrunner and shapes that came with MACH3), hit "Go" and away the X axis motor went. The Y axis didn't move, even when I saw its LED lighting up that data was going to it.

I went into Motor outputs and deselected (red X instead of green check) the Dir LowActive and Step Low Active for both axes. Went and ran the g-code again and both motors spun this time. I don't have this connected to the mill yet so no idea if it is going to cut the right thing but at least both motors moved (I'll take what I can get! ;-)).

First question is why the X axis motor would spin but not the Y motor when both were configured with the green checks for these settings.

Second question is whether having them configured as they are (red X) is actually the right setting. Seems like all the instructions I've read indicate it isn't but perhaps I am missing something.

Third question is why these motors won't spin in the Motor Tuning UI of MACH3 even when they do work with actual g-code.

As always, any input/help much appreciated.

XboxMeister.

Mogal
10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
I highly recommend going through the video docs for Mach3 --> here (http://www.machsupport.com/videos/).

It WILL help
------------

If the motors lock-up when powered, you should be wired correctly.
(double check your voltages at the outputs, my origional C10 BOB was bad)

Some things you could try:

In 'motor tuning and set-up' set your motors to a slower speed... say 30ipm
and an accell around 5... (you can increase them again later)

Not sure about the 6050s, but the 4030s asked for the shreline 1/2 pulse mode. With mine checked, I got wierd motor movements... and unchecked two motors worked OK...

I unchecked the sherline 1/2 pulse mode, and set the 'step pulse' under motor tuning to 2 or 3... and got better responses...

But again, the video docs WILL help you. Yes, they can be a little dry, but will DEFFINATELY help you understand what is going on.

Also, you can ask over at the Mach3 forums (http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php), I got some good help over there...

(I'm still learning too!)

XboxMeister
10-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks, I'll check those videos out.

XboxMeister
10-05-2008, 08:34 PM
I've got all the axes (including Z) working now. For some reason along the way I was able to get them all to work with the low signal level settings checked green. Not sure what changed along the way but they work.

Figured out how to enable the charge pump from MACH3 so the outputs would turn on with the onboard charge pump enabled.

The only thing that doesn't match expectations is the sliders in the Motor Tuning dialog don't move the motors but if I use the up/down arrows in that dialog, they do move. Something I'll keep fiddling with.

Thanks all!

LeeWay
10-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I normally just key in numbers on that screen instead of using the sliders. The slider's don't give nice round numbers and goes into too much detail (decimal points). That much detail here isn't needed on a stepper system.
To run a good stepper system, you need to back off max reliable settings about 1/4 to a third. Then there are normally no worries unless you have someting mechanical or Gcode go wrong.
Without encoder's of some kind, that is the most reliable accurate way to get what you want.

Rio79
06-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey all!
I would appreciate any help from you guys, for I am stumped! I thought I'd post in this thread since I have a similar issue. I have the Seig X2, CNC Fusion Mini-Mill CNC kit #4 with ballscrews, and the Kelinginc Nema 23 Stepper Motors with 3 axis & 36V CNC package. I've wired everything up per the drawing (http://kelinginc.net/KL-4030Wiring.pdf). My intent is to use EMC2, but for now, I'm testing on Mach3 to ensure that the motors turn, which they do not. I have followed the directions posted here (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43413&d=1189477330) on a previous post, and have watched Installation and Basic Configuration (http://www.machsupport.com/videos/) on the ArtSoft website with no such luck.

Notes on schematic:
* when i plugged in the 5v 1A adapter, it failed. emailed for a new one with no response. instead, using blackberry charger, 5v 0.75A
* when I power the system, the motors are locked.
* power light is on for all drivers & the break out board when powered
* I've disconnected the estop at the moment
* KL-4030 set to 1/8 microstep & 2.7A
* voltage drop checks across the drivers and the breakout board.
* 4 jumpers on breakout board set to: com=gnd, pull-down (2x), 2 jumped to 3 (in)

I called kelinginc to ask for detailed documentation on the jumpers, and all they said was not to touch it, so I assume the current setting on the breakout board is correct.

Notes on Mach 3:
* installed & reinstalled a few times on 2 different computers.
* ran the driver test. in the beginning, it said "pulsing too fast", but the system seems okay. good waveform, no blue screen of death
* at one point, ran the specialdriver batch file just to test it out
* went through config, ports and pins, and motor tuning settings
* motors do not turn in motor tuning section, nor when the arrows on my keyboard are pressed.
* loaded example gcode just to see if it would run, which it doesnt.
* tried running on emc2 as well, which it doesnt.

does anyone have any ideas on what i should be checking next?! thanks in advance!

Rio

jalessi
06-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Rio

Which breakout board do you have?

Jeff...

Rio79
06-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Hey Jeff,
I have the C10 parallel port interface card rev 10. i just bought the system (http://kelinginc.net/ThreeXCNCPackage.html) a few weeks ago.
Rio

jalessi
06-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Rio

Is the COM jumper on pins 2-3?

See attached jpg

Jeff...

jalessi
06-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Rio,

Do you have a instant messenger?

Jeff...