PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Block Question

Moondog
08-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Hope you can help.

Just designing my Drive bearing Block for my Y Axis. The block will be made from 30mm Aluminium and will house a double Angular contact bearing.

To bolt the block to the gantry is it better to use 4-8mm bolts or 2 -12mm bolts. See my attached DXF. The lead screw will be 1600mm thread.

thanks

HuFlungDung
08-21-2004, 11:13 AM
It's your choice really. I would tend to prefer the face mount bolt pattern, because it seems like the easiest method to get the bolts drilled in the correct place in the frame, using an existing hole as a reference. If you use bolts in the shoulders of the block, then you've got to worry about the squareness of that bolt face relative to the screw axis, as well as the troublesome shimming of the pillow block in any attempt to readjust the natural centered position.

Moondog
08-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks HuFlung

Sorry...I probably didn't explain myself too well in my post.

My only choice is bolting thru the shoulder, ie, from the top...

However, when Bolting thru the shoulder, should I use 2 bolts each side or one larger bolt per side?. ie, I could us 2* 8mm bolts or 1*12mm bolt.

cheers

IJ.
08-21-2004, 07:10 PM
MoonDog: You could probably get away with either as there is enough surface area on your mounting pads to resist "rocking" My choice would be 4x 8mm's! (I used the same bearings in my retrofit)

Moondog
08-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks IJ....

I think I'll go with the 4*8mm's as you suggested.

cheers