PDA

View Full Version : New Machine Build Vac forming ABS 10foot long x 2"x1" chanel

fencer
04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Hello, Im new to vac forming but have jumped in at the deep end so to speak. My aim is to produce two chanels in a 10 foot x 21" sheet of 3 mm (3/16") ABS. Each chanel is to be 2" wide with a depth of 1" and equal distance from the sheet centre line. I have a 25cfm vacuum pump and a 50 litre vac-reservoir. I will be using a male mould (without draught angle). My question is - "Can anyone assist with ideas on how to heat the areas to be formed?" To date Im toying withe the idea of running 4 nichrome wires the full 10foot spaced at 1" apart (bottom heat). The closed oven will be fully enclosed and constructed from aluminium faced plasterboard. Initialy I will attempt to form one chanel at a time. I would dearly welcome all input and thank you in anticipation.

jalessi
04-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi,

If you only have to make two of them it might be less expensive to have a local plastic sign manufacture do the vaccum forming. They have the oven and do this work daily.

See this link for idea.

http://www.hansonsign.com/plastic_info.shtml

Jeff Alessi

kayaker43
04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
First of all can you even find 10 ft long sheets? Its not a common size.

I think you will have to heat the entire sheet up till its soft and form both channels, it never works well to try and heat part of a sheet. This will take a tremendous amount of energy. I use 1200 watts per square foot so use that as a basis for calculating but it would need around 100 amps at 220 volts. Do you have that much power available?

If these channels are just straight bends the full length of the sheet, look up a process called line bending for a much easier solution. Easy to build, low power requirements and no vacuum needed.

fencer
04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi,

If you only have to make two of them it might be less expensive to have a local plastic sign manufacture do the vaccum forming. They have the oven and do this work daily.

See this link for idea.

http://www.hansonsign.com/plastic_info.shtml

Jeff Alessi

Thanks for that Jeff, but I'm talking of two per sheet and not two in total. I have several hundred sheets to form. Do you think I would have bothered anyone in a forum based upon two only? -- duh!

svenakela
04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for that Jeff, but I'm talking of two per sheet and not two in total. I have several hundred sheets to form. Do you think I would have bothered anyone in a forum based upon two only? -- duh!

Yes, why not?
I have been producing many items in just one ore two pieces, and even more if we count to ten. It's just a matter of money. If someone needs a prototype, they'll pay.