PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction Brakekleen and tig welding?

bigtoad170
04-10-2008, 02:54 PM
My foreman told me not to clean parts with brake kleen since we tig weld in the shop it creates a toxic gas he wasn't sure why but it did. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this ?

DSL PWR
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
It does create a toxic gas. I think it may be chlorine gas, nasty stuff...

keebler303
04-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Special Fire Fighting Procedures –Gas fires should not be extinguished unless the gas flow can be stopped immediately. Allow the fire to burn it self out. If the source cannot be shut off immediately, all equipment and surfaces exposed to the fire should be cooled with water to prevent over-heating, flashbacks or explosions. Control fire until gas supply can be shut off. Use proper protective equipment. Use fresh air respirator when exposure to hazardous concentration of toxic gases is possible.

Fire and Explosion Hazards – This product releases Flammable vapors at well below ambient temperatures and readily forms flammable mixtures with air exposed to an ignition source. It will burn in the open or be explosive in confined spaces. Its vapors are heavier than air and may travel long distances to a point of ignition, and then flash back. Alkane/chlorines gas mixtures have produced explosions.

http://www.onlyomega.com/msds/Brake%20Kleen.htm

Matt

jerryjoeed
05-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Once upon a time brake parts cleaners and other solvents contained chlorinated oranic compounds like 111 TCE. They did a great job but have been phased out because they are considered ozone depletors.
One product from the combustion of chlorinated organic compounds is the nerve agent Cl2CO, also known as phosgene gas.
As a side note, for the longest time a halide torch was considered a reliable
and low cost method of freon detection. Freon is a chlorinated organic compound. A halide torch with a blue flame was passed near the refrigeration equipment and the flame would turn green in the presence of freon. The flame was considered a fire hazzard and leak detectors which did not use an open flame were developed.

Mike Nash
05-09-2008, 10:20 PM
The can I bought just recently still states it may produce phosgene gas in the presence of flame or some-such.

Fiero Addiction
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I used Brakekleen as carburetor cleaner on a running engine once. When I regained consciousness the carb was really clean! ;)

bigtoad170
06-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Fiero addiction
So was it worth it?

Fiero Addiction
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Nope. I have seriously done that, and it creates some really bad smelling vapors that make you feel like you cannot breath. A lot of mechanics have experienced it. I won't do it again.

p.s. I did not go unconscious, I was just kidding.