PDA

View Full Version : Who's using solidcam?

jmcglynn
03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
How many folks are using SolidCam to cut parts?

I'm doing a bake off between Mastercam and SolidCam right now. I like SolidCam in terms of UI and Usability, but I'm concerned that now many people are using it.

Obviously loads of people are using Mastercam around here. I like designing in SolidWorks, is SolidCam a viable solution (in your opinion)?

cam1
03-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I converted from Mastercam to SolidCam 3 years ago (I'm running SolidWorks).

Here are the good points:
I love the UI, and its easy to design toolpaths,seamless interface from CAD to CAM, multi part setups are a breeze, (you can put coordinate systems on in SolidWorks, prior to launching SoliCam). None of this Cplane, Tplane Top View stuff,yes, I have seen the improvements, but for the doubters, see how much easier multi faced setups are in SolidCam

Bad points:
-really poor (almost non existant) customer support (mostly lip service).
-inexperienced, non motivated tech support ( we had to write our own post, because SolidCam could not supply a 3X Fagor 8055 post).
-not as flexible as Mastercam ( we still have 1 seat of MC V9.1 level 3 mill and Lathe). A good example is when I want to keep the tool down on a profile, or if I want to change the toolpath at a point to jump over a clamp.

If MasterCam could work within SolidWorks (just like SolidCam) I'd go back in a second......also the tech support is Excellent, with a huge knowledge pool (like this site), and lot's of free proven posts.

Go with the company that demonstrates the best technical support.

regards

jmcglynn
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Cam1, thanks for taking the time to respond to this.

The support/training issue was one of my concerns. I've found on-line training, local instructor-lead training and books published specifically on Mastercam. None of that exists for SolidCam.

It's a tough call.

You probably know the Mastercam is going to have a SolidWorks add-in "real soon now" -- it feels like it's 6 months out still. What I understand from the rep is that it is limited in terms of the toolpaths in the initial release, and is essentially the same product (good and bad) hosted in SolidWorks. To me the point of running in SW would be to take advantage of the advantages of that environment.

It's also going to be a different product -- Current MC users won't get it without buying a new seat for just that product.

So far I've been able to make both of them cut the part I'm working on (in external simulations using metacut).

Our machine will be here in a week or two so I need to make a decision soon. Maybe I should wait until after westec.

Joe

greatlakes3d
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
What types of parts are you machining 2D, 3D or 5 axis?
To give a good opinion we need all the facts.

Thanks,
Randy

jmcglynn
03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
3 axis at this point. Some 2.5 certainly, but mostly 3D parts with surfaces.

This is an oil filter mount we make already (as a casting). The fins are all tapered on the faces. The sides of the body are vertical. There is an obround boss on the back.

I figure that there are 5 setups to do this part. This one, the opposite side, one to do the mount holes in the obround boss on the back, one to do an angled hole on the back, and one to do the inlet port on the side.

Joe
Crime Scene Choppers

greatlakes3d
03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi Joe,

Your part looks pretty straight forward and if you like to have cnc machining automated then I suggest you look at VX CAM.

VX provides automated tool path generation with template building to save your logic. It has full collision avoidance for clamps and vises and easy to use rest roughing and finishing and of course it associative to model changes, even imported files.

I would work with you to set up the software, make sure you are happy with your post. We could do training on line or depending on your location you could come to Erie,PA where we have a school set up to train. I could also come to your shop.

With motorcycle design you need a powerful modeler for importing images for customization of the design model and the ability to model anything easily then machine it. VX would be a good choice for this design to manufacturing need.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Best Regards,
Randy
www.greatlakes3d.com

cam1
03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
JMC: try this link: http://www.solidcamsupport.com/index.php?action=kb
There are some good tutorials here on SolidCam.
Take your time when making your choice.
Just another suggestion: It's a very competitive game in the CAM business, ask for 30 or 60 day trials with fully functional software. Ask for post processor files for your machine(s), then try them out on your applications. If you were going to spend 15k on a used car, you would test drive it right? So, put the the ball in the CAM sellers court. With a slowdown in manufacturing coming, they should be very cooperative.

regards

jmcglynn
03-14-2008, 01:44 AM
That's what I did, I got 30 day evals for Mastercam and SolidCam. I was able to program parts in both. Since I use SolidWorks already I'm leaning heavily toward that. Honestly, Mastercam is the "safe" choice, there are enough people using it that I'm confident it will do whatever I need. There isn't that much cost difference -- if you need to get solidworks too the cost is about the same for the two.

Joe

JMC: try this link: http://www.solidcamsupport.com/index.php?action=kb
There are some good tutorials here on SolidCam.
Take your time when making your choice.
Just another suggestion: It's a very competitive game in the CAM business, ask for 30 or 60 day trials with fully functional software. Ask for post processor files for your machine(s), then try them out on your applications. If you were going to spend 15k on a used car, you would test drive it right? So, put the the ball in the CAM sellers court. With a slowdown in manufacturing coming, they should be very cooperative.

regards

cam1
03-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree (shame that SolidCam cannot provide the support), go with the package that
is the most popular, you won't regret it.

regards

greatlakes3d
03-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Joe,
I would gladly give you a 30 trial with VX. We have proven posts for your Haas and many others. VX Machinist costs $6K, annual maintainence and support contract is $1200, we advertise our prices so there are no games.
You will need to let me know when we can spend an hour or so to get started. Email me direct and I'll provide the link to download the product or provide a mailing address.
VX is a proven product, I have used it for over 8 years. I have many successful companies using VX.
We are an American company based out of Melbourne, FL. All tech support is done in America.
It's your decision. Look at Victory motorcycles, Polaris is gaining ground on Harley. Sometimes people get tired of paying for a name and realize there is a better choice out there.
Let me know if you decide to try VX.
Best Regards,
Randy
www.greatlakes3d.com
randy@greatlakes3d.com

Piobaire
03-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi!
I must say that tech support on SolidCAM here in Scandinavia are excellent. I think in US there are problems but SC are growing and it will be better. If you ask me I'll never go back to MC...
The POST are very easy editable and when running internal POST it's lightening FAST !
I'm Running SolidWorks + Solidcam R12 (beta) with HSM.

BR
/Piobaire

cam1
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi: The European support is very good, here in Canada it is very poor.
No support= no business. Yes, I prefer SolidCam over Mastercam, but it's no use having software without the technical support.I needed a simple change made in the Post , that requires a list of variables from SolidCam (toolpath transformation variables), and I was told it would be 2 weeks, as the North American technical support is presently in Israel. I practically had to write my own Post.

regards.

axis
03-17-2008, 06:43 PM
i agree i to went with solicam over mastercam and the suport has no been what i was told it was.still waiting for the 64bit version the solidworks has had for years

cam1
03-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Axis:
I guess we can co-miserate and co-operate at this forum.Who needs that stinkin' tech support anyways (overrated).
I dont have a problem with the software as much as I have a problem with getting the info I need to tweak my post.

regards

Piobaire
03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi Cam1!
What parameters are you looking for out of SC to get the POST-tweak´n done ?
What POST (GPP and MAC) and machine controller are you using right now and what do you like to do ?

BR
/Piobaire

cam1
03-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Piobare:
I'd like to use the Transform functions ( Rotate and Array) for 2.5 or 3 toolpaths.
Presently we have a Fagor 8055Ia CNC control on a VMC. We run in Imperial units.The post I have started as a Fanuc, and was initially configured by SolidCam.This provided us with the basics (2.5 and 3X surfacing). I added the drilling,tapping and Boring cycles, and cleaned up the post by annotating , organizing, and de-bugging.

The crux of the technical difficulty is that I'd like to use the canned cycles G73 and G61 (please see attached file for the required syntax ).Unfortunately the Fanuc portion of the post code looks like this:

@change_ref_point
; Given in absolute mode
gcode = 10
{nb, 'G'gcode, 'G91 L2 P'home_number ' X'xhome, ' Y'yhome, ' Z'zhome}
{nb,'G90'}
end

I spoke with SolidCam today, and they agree that ideally a user would be able to leverage the benefits of pattern arrays, the key now is how to get it to work.
I think to solve this problem, I'll need to be passed the variables that are used to build the linear array within SC, such as Delta X, Delta Y, number of repeats in X, and number of repeats in Y. I'll also require some variables to use the rotate transformation (angle and number of copies).

In any case, SolidCam contacted me and offered to find a solution.They also apologized for the slow response time on the technical support. They said that they are in the process of establishing a stronger Technical support network for North America.
This will be good news for all SC users. :)

thanks for the support

Jim Appel
03-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Hello fellow programmers,
My name is Jim Appel. I am a Senior Applications Engineer for SolidCAM. I am Chicago based but offer support for all regions of North America. SolidCAM has been the fastest growing CAM software solution in the world for the past 5 years as detailed by Cimdata http://www.cimdata.com/press/PR06-0620.htm
Here in North America, we have been aggresively adding qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable individulas to our whole array of SolidCAM Support Staff, be it from sales to tech support.
I started using SolidCAM when I was the Tooling Supervisor/Programmer at my prior employment. I used SolidCAM for 2 years before joing the SolidCAM Team. My experiences as a SolidCAM user is what initially made me decide to join the SolidCAM Team. I never had any support related issues while being a SolidCAM user. In fact I was impressed by the respnse time for the few questions I had over the 2 years of using SolidCAM.
We will; provide support in all aspects, deliver support in a condusive arena;
and do what ever is needed for our customers to be confident and successful in using SolidCAM.
I/We look forward to meeting, as well as working, with all exisitng users of SolidCAM, as well as future users of SolidCAM.
Best regards,
Jim

axis
03-20-2008, 11:27 PM
hey jim appel where is my 64 bit opperating system that everyone at solidcam has been telling me is come out if your a senior app engineer you must know. tell me the truth and i will be happy. i dont care if its 6 months just dont tell me its next week if its not going to be. i just spent alot of money on a new 64 bit cumputer i cant use cause someone told me next week for sure.

jmcglynn
03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Guys,

I've been working with Jim as I went through the eval process on CAM software. He knows the software and is very responsive -- and he is part of the reason I decided to go with SolidCAM over MasterCAM.

Hello fellow programmers,
My name is Jim Appel. I am a Senior Applications Engineer for SolidCAM.

Adam Hubert
03-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I was recently at a show and a SolidCAM reseller told me it would be next fall, about the time that SolidWorks 2009 comes out. ?? Don't know if this is accurate but that's what I was told.

hey jim appel where is my 64 bit opperating system that everyone at solidcam has been telling me is come out if your a senior app engineer you must know. tell me the truth and i will be happy. i dont care if its 6 months just dont tell me its next week if its not going to be. i just spent alot of money on a new 64 bit cumputer i cant use cause someone told me next week for sure.

Adam Hubert
03-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't know the guy you mention below (think he's new with SolidCAM) but I've had SolidCAM for a few years and the times I've needed help either through my reseller or through SolidCAM I've had no problems.

Guys,

I've been working with Jim as I went through the eval process on CAM software. He knows the software and is very responsive -- and he is part of the reason I decided to go with SolidCAM over MasterCAM.

jmcglynn
03-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Personally I'm more interested in dual core CPU support. 64 bit support is good for applications that need a ton of memory, like rendering or importing models in solidworks.

From what I've seen so far, SolidCAM is primarily CPU bound, it doesn't use a lot of memory. Most computers in the past 2-3 years have been made with dual-core CPUs. If solidcam/solidworks took advantage of both cores we'd see processing times (eg, calculating toolpaths) instantly cut by half on the hardware we already own.

Adam Hubert
03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I think many of us may not be up to speed on what you mean when you say support of dual core CPU. Aren't there also now also quad cores.

Appears as if SolidCAM does not but does SolidWorks or or other CAD and CAM products currently take advantage of or support dual or quad CPU cores ??

If these above products are not yet supporting these dual or quad CPU cores is this something that they are promising in the future.

Personally I'm more interested in dual core CPU support. 64 bit support is good for applications that need a ton of memory, like rendering or importing models in solidworks.

From what I've seen so far, SolidCAM is primarily CPU bound, it doesn't use a lot of memory. Most computers in the past 2-3 years have been made with dual-core CPUs. If solidcam/solidworks took advantage of both cores we'd see processing times (eg, calculating toolpaths) instantly cut by half on the hardware we already own.

jmcglynn
03-24-2008, 02:54 AM
The current CPU chip technology produces multiple CPUs on one chip. Dual core is "just" two CPUs, quad core is of course four.

Most software available today is written with the expectation of having a single core. Supporting multiple cores takes some careful work in terms of how the algorithms in the software divide up the work -- but the benefit is huge. I'm working on a dual core Dell lap top with a 2.16 ghz processor. It's a fairly fast machine, and when it calculates toolpaths it maxes out half the CPU and leaves the other half idle.

Neither SolidWorks or SolidCAM (or Mastercam for that matter) take advantage of dual core machines.

I think many of us may not be up to speed on what you mean when you say support of dual core CPU. Aren't there also now also quad cores.

JerryFlyGuy
03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Neither SolidWorks or SolidCAM (or Mastercam for that matter) take advantage of dual core machines.

Actually, SolidWorks does use multi core processes for some things. Primarily on the more advanced stuff like rendering and FEA/CFD stuff. While it is not a full integration yet, they are working at getting it there. However it will be some time before it is used in every senario.

I'm currently running a Asus Mobo system which has 8 processors [dual quad]on it, I can't wait until they integrate it fully... :D

Jim Appel
04-06-2008, 09:40 PM
From what I have heard, SolidCAM will release a supported 64 bit version shortly after SoidCAM2008 V12 is released.

jmcglynn
04-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Hey Jim,

What is the official word on the SolidCAM 2008 release dates?

Joe
Crime Scene Choppers

From what I have heard, SolidCAM will release a supported 64 bit version shortly after SoidCAM2008 V12 is released.

Jim Appel
04-07-2008, 08:25 AM
The target date for SolidcAM 2008 V12 is the end of May 2008.

Adam Hubert
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
One of the SolidCAM support guys told me that this would be released not in a month or so when SolidCAM 2008 is released but late in 2008 when SolidCAM 2009 is released. He said this will also be about the time that SolidWorks 2009 comes out.

rusty5228301
04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
We use Solidcam at work for 3 years now,we are going to buy Cimatron though. Since Solidcam is Israeli program (and I'm from Israel) we thought that tech support would be good-WRONG,WRONG,WRONG. We had 2 machines out of 6 doing absolutly nothing for 4!!! days,because of the problems with post(5 axis machines).They (Solidcam team) do not seem
to know what is going on with their own program!!! We called Cimatron and they installed their program,no problem with posts, 4th and 5th axis are doing exactly what we want them to do-I'm one happy Cimatron customer now.

cam1
04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi: Rusty, I have the same issues, I'm waiting for MasterCam to be tied into SolidWorks, and then I'll relegate the SC to the scrap bin. I like the user interface, but the support has something left to be desired. Seems that adding the ability to use the transform functions for 3X for my post is $650, on top of the $800 I had to pay to get a fagor 3X post to work.

OH well, live and learn...

Brakeman Bob
04-25-2008, 04:41 AM
It seems to me that we must very lucky here in the UK as the SolidCAM support is first rate and on the rare occaisions that SolidCAM UK have not been able to fix it, the support from Israel is pretty good. On the posts issue, it ain't that hard to write your own for SolidCAM (all the documentation is there) if you are out of maintenance.

Has any one heard about the automatic program mirror function that is being developed? I have seen it and it looks very good, working on plain 3D and 5 axis simultaneous, but with problems in 3 + 2. This would be a godsend to me as every part I program is handed and the on machine mirror functions mean that I either accept a reverse in the direction of cut or get left hand cutting tooling.

cam1
04-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Yes you are lucky in the UK, no cold winters like Canada, and closer to Israel for tech support.
They would be smart to integrate their tech support, the net could allow us some acces to the folks that write this software...

regards

JerryFlyGuy
04-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I doubt that SC allows it, but does anyone know if a person can sell their licence to a new user? Cam, rather than throw it out just send it to me.. I'll even pay the postage :)

Do you users know if SC will do filtering of the tool path to create arcs rather than short line segments for faster running on your machine?

rusty5228301
04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
We bought a SC used seat(milling) at about half price, you still have to pay for tech support though...

JerryFlyGuy
04-26-2008, 11:41 AM
interesting Rusty! Ok.. If anyone wants to sell me a license.. I'm open to offers officially!! I'll even throw in my current CAM in trade?! :)

akedward
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I have used Solidworks for about 10 years now and recently purchased solidcam. I tried out MasterCam for a while but I found the solidcam interface with solidworks to be much more intuitive for me just because that's what I was used to. I have not had any problems with the software yet running with my VF-2 and the customer support has been top notch.

There have been at least two occasions where I was hung up on something I didnt know how to do with the software and I was able to resolve both issues by calling my rep and having him walk me through it. Both of these occasions were after hours (around 7:00PM). I dont know how the customer service is in other places but I am in Oregon and so far I have been impressed. My 2 cents.

Adam Hubert
05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
My circumstance is very similar to yours. I mostly do mill and Wire EDM. I also am in the states (Michigan) and have not experienced major problems with program stability or technical support (I do my own posts). A combination of dealing with my reseller and SolidCAM (mostly USA, occasionally Israel) has worked very well for me. I've been in this CAM business for over 30 years and am able to favorably compare this to other CAM experiences.

I have used Solidworks for about 10 years now and recently purchased solidcam. I tried out MasterCam for a while but I found the solidcam interface with solidworks to be much more intuitive for me just because that's what I was used to. I have not had any problems with the software yet running with my VF-2 and the customer support has been top notch.

There have been at least two occasions where I was hung up on something I didnt know how to do with the software and I was able to resolve both issues by calling my rep and having him walk me through it. Both of these occasions were after hours (around 7:00PM). I dont know how the customer service is in other places but I am in Oregon and so far I have been impressed. My 2 cents.

cam1
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow, I guess you are luckier than us Canadians.

axis
05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
i second that i feel like a girl in a bar solidcam in canada is like a guy in the bar buys you drinks till it sounds like a good idea then after you you slept with him (purcased solidcam ) he is out the door and you never here from him again.

cam1
05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Wait until you try multi-configurations (part "a" in vise machine op1, then part "a" flipped in vise for op 2), the stock update doesn't recognize the fact that the part was flipped.I'm using assemblies.
So does the stock become the target, or the target become the stock?
Right now what SolidCam has going for it (75%) of the time is that it's riding on theSolidWorks platform. The more I use SolidCam, the more I realize is that I only like the platform it's riding on.

PS: I gave it 3 years

Brakeman Bob
05-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Do you users know if SC will do filtering of the tool path to create arcs rather than short line segments for faster running on your machine?

Yes, SolidCAM will do that; for arcs in X, Y plane use arc approximation and increase the filtering setting. For more than one plane, use the HSM module.

rhinos
05-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Situation from Czech Republic:)

Mastercam - techsupport is .... very very very TRAGICAL
Solidcam - techsupport is very very very GOOD.
In Czechrepublic working TTC(technology centrum) with certification of Solidworks and Solidcam(hsm,5-axis module or other).
Certification on Solidcam proceed simultaneously on pc and cnc machine(Hermle C20)

This is very good combination:)

brianklein
09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Is SolidCAM 2008 compatible with Solidworks 2007???

Skin
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Yes Brilliantly so :o)

James

Kory Anderson
01-28-2009, 12:16 PM
We have been using SolidCam for nearly a year now and are very impressed with it. We produce foundry patterns for iron castings, so nearly all of our parts are 3D with complicated geometry and fine finishing requirements. We purchased the High Speed Machining module and since then that is virtually all we use for writing tool paths. The HSM module allows for extremely clean and efficient toolpaths as well as much higher feed rates for machining by eliminating the sudden starts and stops when going from cutting to rapid movements which in turn saves wear and tear on the machine.

We have had very few issues and when we did they were very minor and were handled immediately and effectively. Paul Wick and Paul Johnson from Applied Engineering Inc, are the reseller for SolidCam and InventorCam in the upper Midwest and are both great guys to work with and are very knowledgeable on the product. The guys at SolidCam have also been great to deal with and have always provided immediate assistance whenever needed, as well as put on some great tutorials for training.

I have wrote programs for around 250 parts in the last year and it only takes about 15-20 minutes to write a complicated 3D machining program with SolidCam. In the last year we have tripled our production by having clean and efficient toolpaths which require less cutting/machine time as well as nearly no final hand finishing after the part is machined. It is an investment that has paid for itself a 100 times over.

Kory Anderson
Anderson Industries
www.anderson-industries.com

kujirasan
03-15-2009, 01:39 AM
CAM1
Soliworks default plane does not coincide with Mastercam, you have to do few somersaults to get the same default planes! AUTODESK inventor is just solidworks look alike but much cheaper, and its default planes match solidcam and integrates well, and it is very cheap compared to SOLIDWORKS, may if you investigate that option be better! I never trained on SOLIDWORKS but trained on solidcam and unigraphics, Solidcam is very easy to handle jobs with, It is great for training, how ever each to his own! If you are used to MAstercam then go for it

crabbass
03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Inventor is not a look-alike. The autodesk product is a ford-chevy equivalent. Or honda-toyota, Both softwares do the same thing, individual preferences vary.

kujirasan
03-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Crab, the analogy of the cars is irrelevant, SOLIWORKS is far more sophisticate and has options that INVENTOR lacks , and accuracy never been its forte, I had to use version 9, and design a a gadget to measure angles , it monotonously use to crash as the graduation for the degrees were etched in, Hope things have improved, and not make more preposterous with porting MAYA Animation software!
Personal opinion is INVENTOR is a Scooter compared with solidworks!
Not to mention the extensive COSMOS analysis and Mould software etc.
Inventor is Ideal to use it for teaching at Technical College , as an introduction to solid modeling and assembly beyond that, if you are making shopping trolleys or simple designs for CAm etc go for it!
Yours

crabbass
03-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I have used both, with much sucess.
You should do your homework, not tell your one sided story.
Tell your story to our countrys top aerospace and defense industries who are using the autodesk products.

kujirasan
03-18-2009, 01:09 AM
your impression of success may turned out to be different than others! The leading light of US aerospace is Boeing and they ditched Unigraphics 2 years ago for CATIA! Most AUTO makers are heading that way! Toyota already has completely switched to CATIA!
If you are enamored with INVENTOR wish you the best! If you receive incentive from AUTODESK wish you good luck, but these forums are not for street fighting or vehicle for marketing and propaganda! Each to his own! what ever turn you on!
Just wonder which aerospace uses INVENTOR!
Cheers!

JerryFlyGuy
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Easy guy's [gal's?] We all have our vested and emotional interest's in what we've picked to be the supreme software. The reality is it's different strokes for different folks.

This is a discussion which will never ever reach a marked conclusion until one of the companies is no longer [and then there will be someone else to step in their shoes :)]

Easy does it :)

Jerry

cam1
03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Just my 2 cents.
I worked with Autodesk Inventor up to R10, excellent software for general mechanical design. Where SolidWorks really shines is in 3D sketching, and complex surfaces, and of course in moldmaking. SolidWorks readily supports .dxf and .dwg formats, and let's face it .dwg files are still the standard drawing exchange format for 2.5 axis CAM toolpaths in job shops. The key in this "argument" is to recognize that SolidWorks and Catia are cousins, and are used extensively in the Aerospace business. SW was created to offer small and midsized companies the power of Catia, at competitive prices. I work in Aerospace (Gas Turbine engine environmental certification), and still use both Inventor and SW (whatever software is required) to design components. Some of our suppliers use Inventor, and I see no drawback in their choice.

PS

I use SolidCam and am satisfied with the product when I consider what I paid... (8k CDN for SW 2005 Office Pro and SolidCam)

regards

plcamp
04-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Just my 2 cents.
I worked with Autodesk Inventor up to R10, excellent software for general mechanical design. Where SolidWorks really shines is in 3D sketching, and complex surfaces, and of course in moldmaking. SolidWorks readily supports .dxf and .dwg formats, and let's face it .dwg files are still the standard drawing exchange format for 2.5 axis CAM toolpaths in job shops. The key in this "argument" is to recognize that SolidWorks and Catia are cousins, and are used extensively in the Aerospace business. SW was created to offer small and midsized companies the power of Catia, at competitive prices. I work in Aerospace (Gas Turbine engine environmental certification), and still use both Inventor and SW (whatever software is required) to design components. Some of our suppliers use Inventor, and I see no drawback in their choice.

PS

I use SolidCam and am satisfied with the product when I consider what I paid... (8k CDN for SW 2005 Office Pro and SolidCam)

regards

Please note that SolidWorks was developed as a standalone software and was aqquired by Dassault Systems in July 1997. This acquisition gave Dassualt an instant gain in the Windows based CAD market in a time when their Catia V5 was stumbling. Of course please remember that there was and still is a big disparity in cost between the 2 design programs and each functions well in their intended use.

kujirasan
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
SILIDWORKS is an American product the CATIA one is French!
The acquired it after UNIGRAPHICS took over Solid Edge! so the story goes!
It is always horse for courses!

kujirasan
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Is SolidCAM 2008 compatible with Solidworks 2007???

NO! and dont try it!

plcamp
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
SILIDWORKS is an American product the CATIA one is French!
The acquired it after UNIGRAPHICS took over Solid Edge! so the story goes!
It is always horse for courses!

You are correct about the products origins -- here is some additional history

Company History

Before SolidWorks, the industry was starved for a comprehensive software package that married 3D solid modeling with a desktop program’s ease of use. SolidWorks met that need.

It all began in 1993, when SolidWorks founder Jon Hirschtick recruited a team of engineers to build a company that developed 3D CAD software that was easy to use. Since then the team’s startup became the leading supplier of 3D CAD technology, which gives teams intuitive, high-performing tools to design better products.

They did it by developing the first 3D CAD technology that ran on an intuitive Windows platform, didn’t require expensive hardware and software to operate, and didn’t cost a fortune.

In 1995, the first release of SolidWorks® software was ready for the market. Within two months, it was already winning industry-wide accolades for establishing a new benchmark for ease of use. As sales began to soar, Hirschtick brought on longtime mechanical engineering industry veteran John McEleney to usher the company into Asian markets in 1996. McEleney established SolidWorks in Asia and spearheaded the company’s Solution Partner Program, which has grown to include more than 700 partners worldwide.

The company’s rapidly growing customer base and continuous product innovation quickly established it as a strong competitor in the CAD market. The market noticed, and global product lifecycle technology giant Dassault Systèmes S.A. (Nasdaq: DASTY, Euronext Paris: #13065, DSY.PA) acquired SolidWorks for $310 million in stock in June of 1997.

Dassault Systèmes’ (DS) formula for SolidWorks’ continued success is to let it maintain the strategy and the momentum that built the company. As CEO from 2001 through June of 2007, McEleney kept the company and its products on a meteoric path. SolidWorks has become the fastest growing company in the DS family, having grown from two percent of DS’ revenue at the time of the acquisition to more than 20 percent today.

Current CEO Jeff Ray joined the company in 2003 as COO to help expand SolidWorks’ sales, distribution, and marketing infrastructure. In four years, Ray saw sales and global licenses reach all-time highs, and the products became even more intelligent, enabling customers to push the limits of conventional design.

kujirasan
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
PLCAMP
Thanks for the in put! Man you must be well into it!