PDA

View Full Version : New Member In awe of Joe's model 2006

timberwood
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and have been in awe of Joe's model 2006 from the moment I first saw it about a week ago. Looks like a great deal of thought went into the design.

I am new to CNC but have had years of wood shop experience and a shop full of woodworking tools, but no CNC. I am thinking about building the 2006 and would like a tip or two how to begin. I downloaded the edrawings model and am familiar with the edrawings software. I also have years of experience with CAD and Sketchup. Is it possible to get the 2006 design in perhaps dxf? If so, I would find it much easier to dimension the parts in Sketchup or my CAD application.

Thanks for what looks like a great design Joe, and for sharing it with the rest of us. I'm Looking forward to contributing to the forum discussions and learning a lot.

Best regards,

Daryl

blackbeard52
03-05-2008, 06:33 AM
How about Sketchup files? Save a step!!!!!!

Bob

blackbeard52
03-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Those seems to be assembly drawings.... here is DWG files for import

timericdesign
03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
if you like that design you should take a look at joe's latest............
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38220 If you have the room you should tackle this one!!

blackbeard52
03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I am not sure Joe offers the plans for that one for free...Not that they arent worth every penny he gets...

Bob

timericdesign
03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
correct the plans are not free for the 4x4 but I have purchased them and they are worth every cent. All in all if you are going to put time and money in a machine, I think the 4x4 Can be built for around the same money and quicker that the 2006. not that the 06 isn't a great machine, but the 4X4 is just a step up. Of coarse you will need more room to put the 4X4 than the 06 so if you have no need for a larger cutting surface then the 06 is a fantastic machine as well. It's all in what you need, He just said he was new so before he made a decision I thought he may want to read up on the 4X4!!

timberwood
03-05-2008, 10:51 AM
After looking over the 4x4 design, it does indeed look like an upgrade, at least from the cut area standpoint. My needs are more linear rather than in width, and I have a space that works well with the 2006. The only upgrade I may make to the 2006 is to give me a little more z axis dimension.

Daryl

joecnc2006
03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
All the files for the 06' can be downloaded from the yahoo group, i created it to have a central and quick location for people to get files or whatever they needed for the machine.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/joescnc/

Joe