PDA

View Full Version : MAch 2 feed settings??

replicapro
07-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Im looking all over the place for them, where are they?
Right now my servos are spining at 40 tpi and it should be 10 tpi. Any one know where to change this?

ynneb
07-24-2004, 12:05 AM
TPI ? What does this mean?
Sorry for my ignorance here.

If this helps, you can adjust the motor tuning by selecting Configure ( Top left )
and then selecting "motor tuning" . You will see a popup box that will enable you to set the steps per unit ( left hand side of box ) You must always press "save axis" otherwise it will not save the settings even if you just press "Ok"

Is this what you meant?

replicapro
07-24-2004, 12:11 AM
What im trying to do is adjust how many turns the servo makes to travel 1 inch. Currently it is making 40 revolutions to move the on screen Digital read out 1 inch. My ball screws are 5 turns per inch with a 2 to 1 pully making the required movment 10 turns per inch.

I played with the motor tuning and im not sure that I did any change other than making the motor move at different speeds. The changes still equal the same 40 turns per inch on the on screen read out. It is just moving faster to get there.

ynneb
07-24-2004, 12:25 AM
I hope this wont come as a shock to you but no software will ba able to change Quote"how many turns the servo makes to travel 1 inch" If I am reading your post correctly then you have a issue with gearing and not software.

Understand?

replicapro
07-24-2004, 01:09 AM
ok it was a shock. After flipping through some other posts on feed rates I think im begining to comprehend what is wrong.
This all has to do with a calculation that has to be done with my encoders and the gears for the belt. Oh boy this gets confusing. I was told exactly what gears to get for the belt drive by Camtronics so im sure they are correct. The only variables I can change is the jumpers on the gecko 340's to alter the steps.
Is there a formula for this some where?
I think I have 250 encoders
I know I have .200 (XL) Pitch, 14 Teeth on the servos
200 (XL) Pitch, 28 Teeth on the ball screws
The ball screws are 5/8" 13/64"
The gecko 340's are set at 1x multiplier head.
any ideas where im off?

sendkeys
07-24-2004, 04:54 AM
maybe you're not counting the encoders as quad rate.

gecko take what ever encoder you have and multiply it by 4

if you have 250 then you really have 1000

only thing i can think of :)

turmite
07-24-2004, 09:37 AM
replicapro,

there is a window in motor tuning that you have to set for your steps per unit whether you are using in. or mm. If you are having to turn your motor twice as much as you need then you have your steps per unit set wrong. Now that is assuming you have every thing set up as it should be. :) A good test is to go to the mdi page type in g91 and enter it then type in a g1 move 1" in the axis of your choice. Using a dial caliper or if you have a dial indicator use it and see it you moved it an in. This will give you a reference point for your changes. Document everything you do and write it down. I know :nono: what i am talking about here! :p

Mike

ps I just upgraded to v6.0rc3 and am having to retune everything due to
NOT WRITING IT DOWN! :tired:

kong
07-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Turmite, I did this the other day, and ended up re-installing the previous version to get my settings back. Don't suppose you still have the original installer knocking around though?! Just a thought :)

turmite
07-24-2004, 11:17 AM
kong my understanding from Art was that all I had to do was rename my Mach2 that contained my version 4.0b to reflect some other name i.e. Mach2.4.ob and the new version would simply load on take on all the old screens and xml files. I did that but my screen did not transfer. I have two macros that I need real bad, and as it is with me, they're gone. :stickpoke I had them on my home pc as well as the one dedicated to the cnc. I also had one of them on a disc but that one is gone. I haven't given up and will take a look at the original installer idea.
Mike

Dan Mauch
07-24-2004, 11:21 AM
I not sure if you mean that the axis is moving as if it had a 40 TPI leadscrew. If that is that you mean then look at the mach2 configure, click on motor tuning click on X axis, note the number os steps per unit. Divide that number by 4 to give you the 10 TPI you want. Click on save setting. The do the same for each other axis.
Dan

replicapro
07-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Yes it worked!

For the x,y and z I set the steps in mach2 to 20,000. Now when I jog the axises to move one inch the servo rotates exactly 20 times. which is 10 times for the 10tpi lead screws and 10 tpi for the 2-1 gear ratio.

I also got my A axis tuned to 430 steps which gives me exactly .425 degrees of servo turn per degree of table rotation.
Mach2 is awsome.

I told it to do a bunch of high speed movements then return to zero and all 4 axises went exactly as told.