PDA

View Full Version : who here uses DESKCNC with Geckos?

replicapro
07-23-2004, 02:01 AM
I was wondering how you feel the programs works, what the over all opinion is.

ger21
07-23-2004, 09:07 AM
I believe you can download a 30 day demo and try it for yourself.

replicapro
07-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Actually, Deskcnc is a hardware/software package. The software wont post with out the driver board. Thats the main reason I was asking for opinions. The control board goes between the pc and geckos, so I was wondering if the control board put any limitations on the performance of the geckos.

--colin--
07-23-2004, 05:40 PM
You can output DeskCNC to a g-code file without using their hardware. It works fine with Mach2 and Gecko drives. My only real gripe with the software is that a dialog box pops up at initialization that says the controller is not found. I could not find a way to turn this off. The program works well after you get used to it and is offered at a good price. It appears that the software has not been revised in a long time however.

--Colin--

imserv
07-23-2004, 06:15 PM
It appears that the software has not been revised in a long time however.
--Colin--

DeskCNC is on build about 2.070 something. It was first released in December of 2002 as 2.0.0. That averages a new build every 8-9 days! There is a new 4 axis foam cutting routine that should be released next week or so. The rotary ring cutting is a major accomplishment for a low cost CAM program.

DeskCNC works very well with Gecko Drives, Rutex Drives, and the smaller DeskCNC servo drives (30vdc, 5 amps, $65 per axis). In the case of the Geckos, the current draw limits them to only one driver to each axis output. One reason that the slaved linear axis was added, rather than just hardwiring two to the same outputs. The output from the DeskCNC controller card is very stable and precise, it is driven from an on-board regulated 5 volt supply. The noise problems associated with parallel port connections do not seem to affect the DeskCNC controller card.

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com

replicapro
07-23-2004, 06:43 PM
The demo seems to be VERY nice. I have been playing with it for a week now and I like it allot.
The price for the program and the controler is so good I am weary about its performance at such a low price. I have been reading the forum on your website and one thing I noticed is when ever someone posts a problem, you post the solution and the problem is solved.

After looking at Mach 2, which I also like, im leaning to deskcnc.
One question I do have though, if I connect the deskcnc controller to my exsisting Camtronics servo control will there be any loss of signal due to switching from serial to paralel?

imserv
07-23-2004, 07:16 PM
One question I do have though, if I connect the deskcnc controller to my exsisting Camtronics servo control will there be any loss of signal due to switching from serial to paralel?

It should get better because the pulse generation will be done on a dedicated microprocessor, not on a general purpose computer (that might be able to find enough time to pay attention to the parallel port).

I don't know if you saw this or not:

Deskcnc 2 parallel port drivers (http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/deskcnc2par/)

Fred Smith - IMService

IJ.
07-23-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm using a DeskCNC controller on my retrofitted BP Clone Mill and have to say the software/hardware combination is brilliant!

My Laptop is a lowly P3/500 and the Mill is never starved for data due to the onboard Microprocessor.

Thanks Fred and the boys at both DeskCNC and CNC Teknix! :)

MikeT
07-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I've been using DeskCNC for over a year now and have NEVER had a major problem with it. It's true ... there have been updates every couple of weeks and the software just gets better and better. The few problems I've had were always in the way I had it configured and Fred has always been very quick to help me out. I can strongly recomend DeskCNC.
By the way I've been running it on a Pentium 133 with 16 meg of ram.

Mike