PDA

View Full Version : Introduction-the Electro Manual Bridgeport

jholland1
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I just posted the majority of the following comments on the PM website. Having done that I discover here an active user group many of whom have Bridgeport Boss involvement. So if it is ok with participants, moderators, site gurus, spirit leaders I will reprint, expand and revise information I may have posted elsewhere.

Background
So I was looking at a warehouse of tools-good machines bad controls. Poor market for these mostly BP Boss products. How did this happen? In 1990 I co-founded Slo-Motion Controls/Machinemaster. We retrofit hundreds of mills and lathes- mostly Boss stepper driven with pc based controls. In those days you could buy 2 or 3 good manual BP mills for price of one Boss. Now the converse is true. The solution to poor sales prospects it seemed was to emulate a manual machine.
So I unpluged the Sonicare and went back to a 2 minute scrub with Oral-B. With that inspiration and 4 weeks research the product emerges- The PULSE-N-PAL.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01642816SAVwaK

Product
This device plugs directly into a modern stepper drive. I have tested many drives and about 80% are compatibile without modification. This product eliminates computer and software. Axis movement occurs with manual pulse generator. One axis or 6 may be placed in motion at same time. Of course you are not going to run a code file - only move machine very precisely with mpg. This product is dedicated to the diehard Handcranker. Manly men -and a few lasses- who enjoy the grip of a stiff leadscrew, relish tracking backlash of 0.097 ". But as rotator cuffs stiffen and presbyopia progresses wouldn't you really rather split a thousandth 8 ways by tweaking an mpg on a pendant?

The Future
There is a reason the mechanical watch has not disappeared. It's not about time- elegance, transparency, legacy of the past trump an oscillating crystal. In a similar vein, we will see emergence of electro- mechanical devices which utilize nonferous gears, levers, ratchets, etc coupled to pulse generators. Inital application will likely be lathes for tapers and threading. Precise, simple, high MTBF (mean time between failure.) No computer, No software.

Disclosure
Further up the road I will publish pertinent research data and clear instructions on assembly of this device. You too may have your own PULSE-N-PAL. Just do not call it that if you plan mass production and sales. In this respect I specifically renounce any intrest or claim on the product or derivitives. Consider this open source information. If I prove to be part of the catalyst for a new genera, so much the better. My interest is seeing the machine tool frame value resale price stabilize or appreciate. And, of course, unloading my inventory.

Safety Disclaimer
How you use a home built product designed by a non-EE is your own risk.

More photos and comments later.

jackson holland

NorthBranch
02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Good on ya, Nice idea, broken link. Definately interested.

jholland1
02-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks for info on bad link. Will try this. I will have more photos of Boss 6 simplification in 1 or 2 days.

jackson

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562537950DZgVGE

jholland1
02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for info on bad link. Will try another.

jackson

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562537950DZgVGE

Jonne
03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Do you use original transformers that project?
My BPs stepper drives blown up. Now
I'm looking for new drives and help to
connect transformers right for Geckos or
similar stepper drives.

I really want to know how BP's transformer hash
works, it looks very, very irrational...

jholland1
03-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Jonne
Please tell me what type power supply you have for mill and I will suggest change in components. Gecko is recommended step driver. Also can you post pics of your machine.
thanks
jackson

Jonne
03-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I posted the private message. Check your mail.