PDA

View Full Version : Can plastic be 're-used" ?

Sunshine
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi All!
This is probably a stupid question to ask....but if plastic is heated and then vacuum formed, can the 'scraps' that were cut off, be re heated and used for a smaller piece to be formed? (using a much smaller frame of course)
Just thought I would ask. I hate waste.
Thanks
Sunshine

philserveng
02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
only thermo-plastics can be re-used, thermo setting plastics are normally not, due to being very brittle and high temperature resistant, they will burn first (i.e. bakalite.)

kayaker43
02-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Since we only use thermoplastics for vacuum forming the answer is yes,... Provided the scrap is big enough and flat enough to go into a clamp frame. You might expect some degradation though especially if it was overheated slightly the first time?

Better to just use the right size sheet to start with, then re-cycle the scrap.

Sunshine
02-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks,
I was just curious.
I had thoughts of making a small frame for doing really small forms. And thought maybe scraps might work. I think you are right...-recycle.

Then a question my son asked me .... can 2 liter soda bottles.... be cut open and used ? (The mid section..)
I would think the piece I form- I could use 1 or 2 times as a mold for my crafts. (I play with cement))

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Sunshine

kayaker43
02-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Sure, many people use soda bottle plastic to make model airplane canopies etc.. I think they are made of PET-G which is one of the easier plastics to form.