PDA

View Full Version : one off mold for tools

mark mcdonald
02-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I want to find a way to make a mold for tools I have, so I can store them in my toolbox. This is a one off thing. What is the easiest way to make it work? I need to use common products that you can get anywhere. I was thinking plastic or rubber would be fine.

Thank You

Wiseco
02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Get yourself to Canadian Tire and buy yourself a fishing box.

mark mcdonald
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I already bought myself a very large tool box that has trays,

I need to make something that will hold my screwdrivers in place. I can buy generic ones that will hold them loosely in place, but I want something that will keep them put. I was thinking a very strong magnet might work, but thats too easy.

I want to make an exact mold of my screwdrivers, then find something that will be liquid at first then harden to my mold, then I can make little clips.

BobWarfield
02-23-2008, 04:12 PM
The practice is called "French Fitting". I don't think you want a mold, though. If you literally pour something around the tools it seems like the fit will be awfully tight and finicky.

Most folks apply a ball nosed end mill and a little CNC to make French Fit trays for tools. It is suggested to make them of wood because it will absorb moisture and help protect the tools.

Cheers,

BW

mark mcdonald
03-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I orginally carved a few kitchen sponges to fit the tool, seemed too cheesey. Needed something better, so I googled, found you guys here. I did think of wood, and trimming tools. To manually carve the outline of the tool. This is where I stumble. You need it to retain the metal tool somehow, so I can see how a little magnet can come in handy. Or atleast a clip.

Anyhow, I have not put much thought into since then. Thinking I will just do the magnet route, with my foam handle bed, glued onto the tray.

I will keep thinking about this idea of mine and get back toya

holbieone
03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
www.smooth-on.com