PDA

View Full Version : Okuma Way cover Failures

pat_m_wisconsin
02-15-2008, 06:59 PM
I am new to the forum but thought I would throw this out to the group. We are having trouble with way cover failures and are about to start a continuos improvement project to collect/analyze some data and see what we can do to help. I don't even have a model number to share with you at this point. Is there anyone who has experience with these? Our Op's department is reporting the failure rate has dramatically increased in the last year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

philserveng
02-16-2008, 06:02 PM
All way covers become a problem over time. You need to find a reliable sheet metal company or way cover maker who can retool these covers. Companies like Hennig are experts in way covers and may be able to help you.

jgarrett
02-17-2008, 02:54 AM
We have been fighting this battle on an increasing level for some time. Our machine is an LT 15 M. We tried several sets of Hennig covers because they are about 30% cheaper than Okuma originals. The last set we put on didn't last a week until they pulled apart. Further investigation revealed worn out guides on the top which allowed the sections to twist just enough to pull apart. We managed to make new guides from dimensions on the non-worn end. We also decided to try the original Okuma covers again. We compared the new set to the Hennigs and there is a significant difference. Okuma has greatly improved the wiper design and beefed up the brass guides on the sides of the sections. To help preserve these covers we took a cue from newer machines and added coolant flush nozzles over each cover(twin spindles and two turrets). This created another issue when the two extra nozzles allowed the pump to drain the coolant tank in seconds and cause the pump to cavitate. We added a larger coolant tank and that solved the problem. As long as you don't drop parts on the covers and bend them up they should last a good while. Hope this helps. Good luck.

pat_m_wisconsin
02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Jgarrett - thank you for the information. Here is a little more info on our situation:

We run Okuma 600's (14 of them) and we are currently replacing a y-axis waycover about every 2-3 weeks. I was told that Hennig actually makes the covers for Okuma. We have found 2 other suppliers to make the covers as well. When you refer to the 'guides' wearing out, are you talking about the rails that waycover moves within? Thanks again for the help.

philserveng
02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Hennig here in England will take the original covers and repair them with new tooling, this includes guides, runners etc; There is always a danger that a completely new cover will fail, ask them to repair the originals. Over here, they come back good as new.