PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Thin Foam (Depron) please help!

adbradley
02-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Im currently building a CNC Router, and plan on cutting out parts for RC aircraft. Wood and Foam are all i plan on cutting. I use the 3mm and 6mm depron a lot, and i would like to cut it with my router. Problem is i cant find a cutter that is long enuff to cut through the 6mm depron, and be a small enuff diameter. As small as i have found was .07" I had an idea to replace the router with some kind of stiff small diameter wire that could be heated from one end, like a soldering iron, and cut the foam. Has anyone seen this done, is it possible, what do you guys think??

Thanx

Adam

adbradley
02-05-2008, 06:14 PM
No one has ever seen anything like this???

zachf
02-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Check with Onsrud or Vortex Tooling. If they don't have it they can make you the tool (if possible).

Another option would be to mount a piggy back back beside the spindle with a clamping option to hold a hand held hot wire knife. There a few websites I have found with various foam wire cutting accessories. We do a lot of contract cutting for the wood, plastic, and foam industries and have engineered our own solutions.

We have a late model Thermwood, and they have a lot of accessories for different cutting solutions.

ZachF

tbarnea
12-08-2008, 07:19 AM
We use a laser to cut depron
www.wecutfoam.com

sharbonda
12-12-2008, 11:19 AM
http://www.phlatboyz.com/

bkboggy
12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
I do not remember where I've seen it... try somewhere on youtube.com ... but, I've seen a video of a guy taking one of those dremel like tools that move saw back and forth. Instead of saw, he added on something like a long needle. He roughened up the needle to be jagged a little bit on sides. It cut through foam with ease from what I saw on the video. You can mount that spindle on your router with ease, I'm sure. Sorry that I don't have a link. Try searching for it, though.

bkboggy
12-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Here:

YouTube - No hot wire